Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Biometar and Zodiak Lenses - New Today (Saturday)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Biometar and Zodiak Lenses - New Today (Saturday) Reply with quote

First test shot with the Biometar. Scanned with an older model Epson 4180 scanner.

I have never used this lens before, hope I don't have to sort it out like the Zodiak.

So far, this first shot looks like everything is in order.

Will scan more.

Larry

Pentax 645
Zeiss Biometar 120/2.8
Provia

No post-processing, wanted to see how it looks straight out of the lens and scanner. I think that,
with a little USM and possible a Curve, this will look pretty decent. That lens is built like a tank, and
it has plenty of battle scars!

Last edited by Laurence on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice Larry. I have the Biometar 80, still not go round to using it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Larry although I think I can see some fungus Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha!
Looks good to me too and I love the image.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely image, good lens for sure, rare bird!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence
We don't see you often enough. Lovely subject - beautiful range of natural forest colours

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. This is a 'zebra' style lens; it looks like it might be
at least single-coated as I can see purple and blue reflections. Even though the lens has its
battle scars, the whole thing is smooth and solid.

Back on the Zodiak-8 30/3.5, I gave it a shake yesterday, and I think there might be one or
more loose lens elements in there. Sad I'll probably send it for a CLA, as I do think the lens
is worth the repair costs. So now, I have 2 problems to get fixed; the scanner and possibly
the lens. But that's life, just do it.

Here is an image from the Zodiak. I'll just combine images from the Biometar and Zodiak in
this thread, since they were all shot in the valley.

False Hellebore and Waterfalls
Pentax 645
Zodiak-8 30/3.5
Velvia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Biometar: The camera was level for this shot. The green of the clone-group of
Vanillaleafs on the bank contrasts nicely with the water. Once the snowmelt is done, the
water will turn a deeper shade of blue and will lose its cyan hue. The image sharpens up
when you click on it to enlarge.

Pentax 645
Biometar 120/3.5
Velvia

The old chalet, built in the 1930s by the CCC crews, under President Roosevelt, post-depression. It is nicely preserved
and serves as an emergency shelter and ranger quarters.

Click on the image to bring up a better sharpness.

No post-processing, as you can tell by the dust bunnies. Laughing

CCC_Chalet
Pentax 645
Biometar 120/2.8
Velvia

Small Creek with Lots of Foliage Greens
Pentax 645
Zodiak-8 30/3.5
Velvia

Cropped to get rid of some of the flaring/ghosting.

Forest Floor
Pentax 645
MIR 26-B 45/3.5
Velvia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super as usual Larry.

Yes, the zebra Biometar 120 is indeed single-coated - fitting a hood might be an idea. Filter thread is 67mm by the way.

I have two Biometar 120s myself; one zebra and one black MC. Not easy to find as Attila says - even over this side.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Super as usual Larry.

Yes, the zebra Biometar 120 is indeed single-coated - fitting a hood might be an idea. Filter thread is 67mm by the way.

I have two Biometar 120s myself; one zebra and one black MC. Not easy to find as Attila says - even over this side.

Yes, I had heard that the Biometars are starting to get somewhat scarce. Great idea on the hood and thanks for the
filter thread diameter information. Once I get settled back in with a decent scanner again, I think my images will look
much better. Also, these are more or less 'test shots' and I didn't try to post-process them, as I wanted to see how they
look straight out of the camera and the old scanner. I appreciate your comments and information, it is valuable to me. Smile

Oh...what camera do you use to shoot with the Biometars?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Pentacon Six TL for 120 6x6 film and native mount and P6-M42, P6-EOS & M42-EOS adapters for either 135 film or digital.

I recently shot some Ektar 100 with the Biometar 120 and P6 by the way but need to get it developed.