Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 11A
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Jupiter 11A Reply with quote

I have looked but can't find a Jupiter 11A in this Best of Lenses Series.
If there is already, mods please move this. Ta.
So here are a couple, you may like to add yours.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful images.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:
Beautiful images.

Many thanks.
This is a lens that I think you would like.
I ordered a replacement Nikon rear end from:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Band-NEW-KP-A-N-Adapter-rear-END-A-lens-to-Nikon-F-Mount-Kiev-19-cameras-/200884445618?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item2ec5a561b2
This enables infinity focus without glass of course.
I am so happy with the results.
I know that you have Nikon gear, so this may be one to consider.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. 2 is just WOW!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 #2 Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH,

Please post more pics!
I'm collecting (or sort of) the 135mm range lens for testing purposes and also for shooting of course, and having the Alu Jupiter 4/11, I'm in doubt now if I go for the J-135A or Tair-11A. I'm more inclined to buy the Tair 11A for the max aperture of 2.8 against 4, but even the MA being a key factor, the buy decision - at least for me - remains also on the character of the lens rendering.

Thanks,

Renato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
OH,

Please post more pics!
I'm collecting (or sort of) the 135mm range lens for testing purposes and also for shooting of course, and having the Alu Jupiter 4/11, I'm in doubt now if I go for the J-135A or Tair-11A. I'm more inclined to buy the Tair 11A for the max aperture of 2.8 against 3.5, but even the MA being a key factor, the buy decision - at least for me - remains on the character of the lens rendering.

Thanks,

Renato

Hi Renato,
My Jupiter 11A is the 135 f/4 version - maybe there is only one version.
Anyhoo here is another shot that I took that was taken at ISO 200 1/250sec at f/4.
The DOF is very shallow and the point of focus is in the bottom part of the image. I have circled it.
This image doesn't have the same impact as the previous image because of the light, but it is still a clear and well rendered image.
It is winter here, and it is difficult to find interesting subject matter. In a month or so there will be grevillia flowers, but until then ..........
I really like this lens, and recommend it highly.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
RSalles wrote:
OH,

Please post more pics!
I'm collecting (or sort of) the 135mm range lens for testing purposes and also for shooting of course, and having the Alu Jupiter 4/11, I'm in doubt now if I go for the J-135A or Tair-11A. I'm more inclined to buy the Tair 11A for the max aperture of 2.8 against 3.5, but even the MA being a key factor, the buy decision - at least for me - remains on the character of the lens rendering.

Thanks,

Renato

Hi Renato,
My Jupiter 11A is the 135 f/4 version - maybe there is only one version.
Anyhoo here is another shot that I took that was taken at ISO 200 1/250sec at f/4.
The DOF is very shallow and the point of focus is in the bottom part of the image. I have circled it.
This image doesn't have the same impact as the previous image because of the light, but it is still a clear and well rendered image.
It is winter here, and it is difficult to find interesting subject matter. In a month or so there will be grevillia flowers, but until then ..........
I really like this lens, and recommend it highly.
Cheers
OH

Thanks for helping to rectify my mistake, the J-11 and 11A are both f4.
Your copy of the Jupiter-11A version "seems to be" sharper than my Alu version. But this is not the problem, sharpness is one facto among many. What i'm annoyed - well, if I really love the lens I'll use it and avoid the situations where this issue can show up - about is the tendency to flare. Tell me if you had any issues with this with your copy, which I guess has a more modern coating than mine and probably the flare issue is better addressed,

Thank you, very nice photos, BTW,

Renato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of its reputation regarding flare.
I am very careful to use lenses that show them off to advantage.
Lenses that flare I don't use contre jour.
There are lenses with more modern coatings that handle flare much better.
So I will use the Jupiter 11A in situations that suit it.
I guess it comes down to knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the lenses that you have and using them in their best light.
The Jupiter 37A has much better coatings so would be a better choice for images against the light.
Of course there are also many others that will also excel in these situations.
Kindest regards
OH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH,

I own a J-37A but is on the way from Latvia, actually the copy is stuck in some customs instance.
So, I'll test the coating resistance for flare when the lens arrives to my hands.
I'll write my question otherwise, English, not being the language I usually speak or write in, probably my doubt was not very well perceived. Did you have the chance to compare the coating performance between both version of the J-11, the Alu and the 11A?
I'm not sure if you use the Nikon F adapter to fit the lens on your camera - in this case is more easy to try the A version replacing the mount M42 with a Nikon mount, as you stated before - and I'm not sure but just suppose that you're using a Nikon camera. If you tried out both versions - old and new - and can elaborate about the flaring resistance of both lens, this would be very useful for me,

Thank you,

Renato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
OH,

I own a J-37A but is on the way from Latvia, actually the copy is stuck in some customs instance.
So, I'll test the coating resistance for flare when the lens arrives to my hands.
I'll write my question otherwise, English, not being the language I usually speak or write in, probably my doubt was not very well perceived. Did you have the chance to compare the coating performance between both version of the J-11, the Alu and the 11A?
I'm not sure if you use the Nikon F adapter to fit the lens on your camera - in this case is more easy to try the A version replacing the mount M42 with a Nikon mount, as you stated before - and I'm not sure but just suppose that you're using a Nikon camera. If you tried out both versions - old and new - and can elaborate about the flaring resistance of both lens, this would be very useful for me,

Thank you,

Renato

Ah, my apologies for not answering your question correctly.
I only have one copy of the Jupiter 11A and not the original Jupiter 11 or any other copy, co I cannot compare them for you. There must be many members of the forum who have experience of these lenses and can give a knowledgeable answer.
I do have other 135mm lenses of course, and they are a joy to use. There is something about the focal length that invites easy use on DSLR.
Yes I have a Nikon, and have used it quite a bit.
The Jupiter 11A has had the back flange (M42) replaced with a Nikon F flange. Great idea - and thanks to this forum for suggesting it.
I have just acquired a second hand Pentax K-10D (very cheap) so that I can get the most out of my other M42 lenses as well.
I will have a Jupiter 37A, like you, at some future point, so will compare them then.
I hope that this has been of some help to you.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH,

Yes, for sure, very helpful, thanks and sorry for wasting your time with my 135mm adventure!!! I hope all this saga will translate in the future in better photos indeed!
ASAP, I'll upload to the forum some pictures with the 37A, which I'm pretty sure it's an excellent 135mm lens too.

My best regards,

Renato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
OH,

Yes, for sure, very helpful, thanks and sorry for wasting your time with my 135mm adventure!!! I hope all this saga will translate in the future in better photos indeed!
ASAP, I'll upload to the forum some pictures with the 37A, which I'm pretty sure it's an excellent 135mm lens too.

My best regards,

Renato

No, not a waste of time for me.
I agree with you that 135mm lenses are a joy to use.
There are thousands of them available for cheap in the marketplace, and it is a wonderful experience to see how they render their images.
Lots of fun indeed.
I look forward to seeing your Jupiter 37A shots.
OH

Here is one more different image from J-11A
1/250sec @ f/4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken this afternoon in overcast conditions and soft light.
ISO 400 1/80s @f8 on Nikon D300

OH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we lost these some years back when the server crashed.
I can't remember which images I took for the previous entries.
Here is one from today.
Full frame cropped a little (D700)
The forum compression is softening the image. Click for a sharper and larger image
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pop-up! Had to gather some petals fallen directly from the screen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1