Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DoF 50mm lens difference?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: DoF 50mm lens difference? Reply with quote

I tried two 50mm lenses today and notices that the DoF was difference between the lenses at same aperture.

The two lenses was a Rokkor 50mm 1.4 and a Yashica 50mm 1.7. How could the depth of field not be the same when the same aperture is set?

Have I missed something in the theory of photography or could it be because of the difference in adapters used on my m4/3 camera?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same question before, but apparently the DOF formula is only for a theoretical lens, for actual lens with different formula, they can have different DOF at the same focal length and F number. I don't completely understand this, but people often comment:

C/Y distagon 35/1.4 has narrower DOF than other 35/1.4 lens.
C/Y distagon 21/2.8 has seemingly deeper DOF than other lens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) The f-stops are never really 100% precise. With one lens f/1.7 mean perhaps f/1.61 and with another lens f/1.79.
2) We can never be sure that the focus is absolutely identical, and especially for close-ups even the slightest focus difference can have an effect in DoF.
3) The focal length of different 50mm lenses are not exactly 50mm, some are 47mm, others are 53mm or so...

When these three aspects come together the difference can be considerable.

Lens A: 53mm with f/1.61
Lens B: 48mm with f/1.79
Plus a slightly different focus setting

and you will generate a different DoF.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes sense. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome dalla!

There is another message thread here about this: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=37692

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
1) The f-stops are never really 100% precise. With one lens f/1.7 mean perhaps f/1.61 and with another lens f/1.79.
2) We can never be sure that the focus is absolutely identical, and especially for close-ups even the slightest focus difference can have an effect in DoF.
3) The focal length of different 50mm lenses are not exactly 50mm, some are 47mm, others are 53mm or so...

When these three aspects come together the difference can be considerable.

Lens A: 53mm with f/1.61
Lens B: 48mm with f/1.79
Plus a slightly different focus setting

How can you measure this precisely? Thx.

and you will generate a different DoF.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that what aleksanderpolo is saying may actually play a bigger role than deviations in the FL and aperture size.

@visualopsins: Thanks for that link! Very interesting page on POTN. I had seen other comparisons from denoir between the Rollei Distagon 35/1.4 and the Leica Summilux-M 35/1.4, where the Rollei has significantly shallower DOF.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
I think that what aleksanderpolo is saying may actually play a bigger role than deviations in the FL and aperture size.

@visualopsins: Thanks for that link! Very interesting page on POTN. I had seen other comparisons from denoir between the Rollei Distagon 35/1.4 and the Leica Summilux-M 35/1.4, where the Rollei has significantly shallower DOF.

I was unconvinced that two lens of the same focal length at the same F stop can have different DOF, until I saw Denoir's comparison between the Distagon 35/1.4 and Lux 35/1.4.

I think some have commented that images made with Distagon 35/1.4 have a feel of MF to it, perhaps its due to its shallower DOF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, the DOF calculator works fine for lens well corrected for CA, but overestimates DOF for lenses with CA. The DOF for lenses with CA also depends on colors in scene. For lenses partially corrected for CA, scene color effects depend on how correction is applied in lens formula -- some formulas shift the red, some blue, others both, to correct CA.