Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My first experience with Biotar 75/1.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the middle position, between dizzy bokeh & dreamy bokeh ... Very Happy

O boy, this lens need more skill and intuition to have a bokeh we want Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one ... psychedelic bokeh Smile I love it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outdoor shots are very nice, I particularly like the bokeh of #2 and #7. The lens certainly seems sharp enough in the centre, can't say about the edges as they are where the lovely bokeh is!

Jakarta at this time of year would be great, the awful winter weather for the last few months gets you down and I need some sunshine!

I agree about the Helios 44 and the way it can made a subject pop out from the background, it has very nice bokeh but not on the level of 'swirlyness' as this Biotar or the Helios-40.

I think the greatest compliment I can pay to your test of this lovely Biotar is to show you my first crude attempt at emulating the swirly look. I removed the rear element group from one of my Helios 44-2s to see if it would increase the swirly bokeh effect. It has although I got the focus wrong. I will have another attempt tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get bored of the lens, get in touch.
Been searching for one, for some time...

Nice pics !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joosep wrote:

Nice pics !

In the meantime you can have some fun by unscrewing the back element from a Helios-44. Takes a few secs, is no destructive and you can screw it back in to restore the lens anytime you want. Wide open it then has swirly bokeh.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, congratulation for your transformer Helios Smile

I did some bokeh comparison shot with Canon EF 100mm f/2, Leica R 90/2 and Nikkor 105/1.8.

On second pic I resize the Biotar shot with same proportion to Canon 100/2.

By the way, where is Attila, the gentlemen who inspired me to search and finally met, unbelievably touched & grabbed and having dramatic experience with this legendary lens? Smile

By the way, where is Attila, the gentlemen who inspired me to search and finally met, unbelievably touched & grabbed and having dramatic experience with this legendary lens? Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent bokeh test!

The Biotar seems to have the 'busiest' bokeh, but I like it.

The Leica has the most subdued bokeh, I like it.

In fact, I think all four lenses have good bokeh, all are quite different so will suit different situations.

I think it shows that with very busy backgrounds the Leica might be the best option and the Biotar could be a bit distracting. Four very nice lenses you have their though.

Attila is probably enjoying the arrival of spring and sunshine here in Europe and taking the opportunity to take pictures, it's been a long winter this year!

Thankyou for the kind words on my makeshift conversion. I now need to develop the skills to use it properly, focusing it is quite difficult and I need to practice. It is fun to use though.

It is your great work exploring the bokeh of the Biotar that inspired me to start my own exploration so I thankyou for that as well!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joosep wrote:

Nice pics !

Hahaha .. Smile
Thanks Bro.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Attila is probably enjoying the arrival of spring and sunshine here in Europe and taking the opportunity to take pictures, it's been a long winter this year!

Ow I see. Have a great happy holiday Attila ... Smile

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Thankyou for the kind words on my makeshift conversion. I now need to develop the skills to use it properly, focusing it is quite difficult and I need to practice. It is fun to use though.

It is your great work exploring the bokeh of the Biotar that inspired me to start my own exploration so I thankyou for that as well!

Good luck Bro. 'Man behind the gun' is really what matters Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a flare test.
Shot in the morning about 6.30am.

At wide open ...... wow .. welcome to rainbow land .. like the land on the Wizard of Oz ... haha Smile

At f/2.8, the dreamland is gone ....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot just after sunset. Low contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close object, far background (about 20 meters I think) and observe the bokeh ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for looking my opinion! Currently I show more interest about film and film cameras than lenses. In my personal opinion, Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75mm f1.5 one of the best lens ever from every aspects, just need to find good subject what is hardest part if we would like to show it's power.

I like to take portraits and animal captures with this lens. I have no fresh images just those what you are know well I think.

1951 slim model 7,5cm f1.5 Red T Exakta

Nikon D50 available light , snake behind glass.

Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some silicone sister with a manager mister told me I go what it takes
She said "I'll turn you on sonny to something strong,
play the song with the funky break"
And go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe outside
And little Early-Pearly came by in his curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride
Asked me if I needed a ride
But she was...
Blinded by the light,
revved up like a deuce,
another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
----Manfred Mann's Earth Band

swirly whirlies...........curly wurly..

love the pics!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Thank you for looking my opinion! Currently I show more interest about film and film cameras than lenses. In my personal opinion, Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75mm f1.5 one of the best lens ever from every aspects, just need to find good subject what is hardest part if we would like to show it's power.

I like to take portraits and animal captures with this lens. I have no fresh images just those what you are know well I think.

1951 slim model 7,5cm f1.5 Red T Exakta

Nikon D50 available light , snake behind glass.

Attila, thank you for your warm comments. The photo of the beautiful lady you showed me also the one that inspired me to get the lens. Smile
Until now I am still amazed by this lens, especially the unusual beautiful bokeh I never saw before.

About some harsh bokeh I get from this lens, I've read wise word from Orio about this lens in the topic threads about distracting bokeh, so I am cool with it.

Now since my Helios 85 has arrived, I am so confused which one to keep. Both are beautiful lens. Biotar has more sharpness - smaller - lighter - but expensive, Helios has thinner DOF due to its longer focal length - cheaper - but bigger & what a heavy lens! Smile

Last edited by nixland on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
Some silicone sister with a manager mister told me I go what it takes
She said "I'll turn you on sonny to something strong,
play the song with the funky break"
And go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe outside
And little Early-Pearly came by in his curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride
Asked me if I needed a ride
But she was...
Blinded by the light,
revved up like a deuce,
another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
----Manfred Mann's Earth Band

swirly whirlies...........curly wurly..

love the pics!

Thanks Bro. Its curly-wurly indeed Smile
But sometimes it gives us bokeh that 'dazed and confused' (Led Zeppelin) ... hahaha Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now since my Helios 85 has arrived, I am so confused which one to keep. Both are beautiful lens. Biotar has more sharpness - smaller - lighter - but expensive, Helios has thinner DOF due to its longer focal length - cheaper - but bigger & what a heavy lens!

I kept Biotar and Helios-40-1 , Biotar is a good investment you can sell it any time if you are short on money. I have an early Helios-40-1 which is pretty much remind me to pre-war Biotar. I sold Helios-40-2 so I sold it to raise some money.