Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My first experience with Biotar 75/1.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another portrait. Sorry for bad composition Smile

Either I misfocus or that is the near corner sharpness ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, that busy background came back again … haha Smile

By the way, seeing this photo, old coating + too many light + no hood = low constrast ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second day test. This time I put a 72mm metal hood with stepup ring.

Paparazzi shot. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. The bokeh looks dreamy. Or is it because the girl is beautiful? You tell me Smile

Its misfocus though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather busy background but looks ok with me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She’s so cute Smile

She's got the look ... and Zeiss got the look too Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that’s it for now. I’ll post the outdoor daylight shot experience and my overall impression of this legendary lens tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
You lucky person, I would love a Helios 1.5/85, let alone a Biotar 1.5/75!

I actually like that shot of the girl, it shows me that this lens has a unique character that could be used for tremendous artictic effect.

I'd like to see a head and shoulders portrait with the person stood approx 2-3m from something as a background, something with detail and texture like a red brick wall, I think this could create the impression of a 'halo' effect that could look rather nice.

Well done on the Biotar find, I'm jealous!

I just read your above comment.
No need to be jealous Sir, wait till I share my first experience with Helios 85/1.5. It's more dramatic than this lens Smile I feel that the Helios is a little bit more beautiful .. so far Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're clearly a very good photographer and have a good eye for composition, your images are of banal subjects around an Expo but you make them have much more character and interest than they should, this is not just the lens, it is more the skill of the photographer, but this Biotar definitely helps!

The shot you say is badly composed I like, the girl's eyeline could be slightly lower in the frame and slightly more to the right but I'm nitpicking, the diffuse light from the globe light on the left gives it a nice soft warm character, this shot would not look out of place in a clothing catalogue, very professional look to it.

The next two shots of the heads and shoulders of the girls are nice too, despite the misfocus on the very pretty Sony lady, the 'halo' effect of the swirly background I thought might be there is and it makes the girls stand out from the background, I like that effect.

I agree with you that the hood has improved the contrast, the pic you say is a little less contrasty I agree is a little lacking but as you say, that is all the light sources there were and that problem could be easily fixed with PP.

One thing I notice, the ladies look part Asian and part Western, is this because of Indonesia's long history of Western settlement?

I also really like the way you used the shallow dof to isolate the western lady in the last shots, she looks Russian to me.

I look forward to your Helios-40 shots as I love the pics that lens takes, one day I will own one myself!

For the meantime I am happy usin my Helios 44-2, it has nice bokeh but not like the Helios 40!

I had to show this pic again, I love it, the soft focus really works, this is a great candid portrait and shows this Biotar will be a great portait lens for you and you clearly have the skills to put it to good use!

Now, all I need to know is where can I meet this lovely young lady? lol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the appreciation.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

One thing I notice, the ladies look part Asian and part Western, is this because of Indonesia's long history of Western settlement?

I dont' think so. They're just small number of the entire population Smile

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I also really like the way you used the shallow dof to isolate the western lady in the last shots, she looks Russian to me.

I think so Smile

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I look forward to your Helios-40 shots as I love the pics that lens takes, one day I will own one myself!

For the meantime I am happy usin my Helios 44-2, it has nice bokeh but not like the Helios 40!

I am very fascinated too with my Helios 44-3. In some photos I shot outdoor, at cloudy midday, it looks like I shot it with softbox light and looks pop-out. I think the shallow DOF at the center and the swirly bokeh has got to do with that Smile

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Now, all I need to know is where can I meet this lovely young lady? lol

Come to Jakarta, same time next year ... haha Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the outdoor shot. Midday, harsh light.

Again I tended to put the subject in the center and ignore the composition Smile

For me its a lovely bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This I call it "melting" bokeh Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is my favorite one .... the beauty part of its swirly bokeh .. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharpness test.
(I will find time to do a complete sharpness test)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild bokeh ..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the middle position, between dizzy bokeh & dreamy bokeh ... Very Happy

O boy, this lens need more skill and intuition to have a bokeh we want Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one ... psychedelic bokeh Smile I love it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outdoor shots are very nice, I particularly like the bokeh of #2 and #7. The lens certainly seems sharp enough in the centre, can't say about the edges as they are where the lovely bokeh is!

Jakarta at this time of year would be great, the awful winter weather for the last few months gets you down and I need some sunshine!

I agree about the Helios 44 and the way it can made a subject pop out from the background, it has very nice bokeh but not on the level of 'swirlyness' as this Biotar or the Helios-40.

I think the greatest compliment I can pay to your test of this lovely Biotar is to show you my first crude attempt at emulating the swirly look. I removed the rear element group from one of my Helios 44-2s to see if it would increase the swirly bokeh effect. It has although I got the focus wrong. I will have another attempt tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get bored of the lens, get in touch.
Been searching for one, for some time...

Nice pics !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joosep wrote:

Nice pics !

In the meantime you can have some fun by unscrewing the back element from a Helios-44. Takes a few secs, is no destructive and you can screw it back in to restore the lens anytime you want. Wide open it then has swirly bokeh.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, congratulation for your transformer Helios Smile

I did some bokeh comparison shot with Canon EF 100mm f/2, Leica R 90/2 and Nikkor 105/1.8.

On second pic I resize the Biotar shot with same proportion to Canon 100/2.

By the way, where is Attila, the gentlemen who inspired me to search and finally met, unbelievably touched & grabbed and having dramatic experience with this legendary lens? Smile

By the way, where is Attila, the gentlemen who inspired me to search and finally met, unbelievably touched & grabbed and having dramatic experience with this legendary lens? Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent bokeh test!

The Biotar seems to have the 'busiest' bokeh, but I like it.

The Leica has the most subdued bokeh, I like it.

In fact, I think all four lenses have good bokeh, all are quite different so will suit different situations.

I think it shows that with very busy backgrounds the Leica might be the best option and the Biotar could be a bit distracting. Four very nice lenses you have their though.

Attila is probably enjoying the arrival of spring and sunshine here in Europe and taking the opportunity to take pictures, it's been a long winter this year!

Thankyou for the kind words on my makeshift conversion. I now need to develop the skills to use it properly, focusing it is quite difficult and I need to practice. It is fun to use though.

It is your great work exploring the bokeh of the Biotar that inspired me to start my own exploration so I thankyou for that as well!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joosep wrote:

Nice pics !

Hahaha .. Smile
Thanks Bro.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Attila is probably enjoying the arrival of spring and sunshine here in Europe and taking the opportunity to take pictures, it's been a long winter this year!

Ow I see. Have a great happy holiday Attila ... Smile

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Thankyou for the kind words on my makeshift conversion. I now need to develop the skills to use it properly, focusing it is quite difficult and I need to practice. It is fun to use though.

It is your great work exploring the bokeh of the Biotar that inspired me to start my own exploration so I thankyou for that as well!

Good luck Bro. 'Man behind the gun' is really what matters Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a flare test.
Shot in the morning about 6.30am.

At wide open ...... wow .. welcome to rainbow land .. like the land on the Wizard of Oz ... haha Smile

At f/2.8, the dreamland is gone ....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot just after sunset. Low contrast.