Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My first experience with Biotar 75/1.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: My first experience with Biotar 75/1.5 Reply with quote

Hi, I just want to share my ‘dramatic’ experience with this legendary lens.
Beware of a boring sleepy long story Smile

First of all, I am a total newbee in manual focus lens world.
So please excuse me for any naïve judgement or impression about mf lens. And please correct any invalid statement I wrote in this post.

I had my first mf lens on September-October last year, fascinated by ‘unusual’ bokeh of Jupiter-9 and since then I became an mf lens addict.

This lens previously is not in my target list. Old lens, bad bokeh and very expensive Smile
But along the way I read more about this lens (and Helios 85/1.5 too) and observed more sample photos taken with this lens, and I saw something unusual beautiful character of this lens that ignite my curiousity.
Well, I saw some seasick dizzy bokeh too in some of those photos Smile What a Jekyll-Hide character.
My curiosity was getting stronger when I saw Attila signature … Very Happy

I searched on eBay and found two types of Biotar 75, the less expensive exakta mount and the very expensive M42 mount.
I got information that the exakta mount hit 5D mirror. Some said It can be modified but I don’t want to take that risk.
Arg, just forget it, I decided to buy the cheaper Helios 85.

Until someday I was offered a mint M42 Biotar with less expensive price by a seller from manual lens forum in my country. He got it from an auction.
For several days I can’t still decide whether I should take it or not, because my Helios is on the way from eBay and although it's less expensive, its still 'expensive'.
Well, finally I decided to take it. Yes, it’s expensive, but I thought that since this lens is highly sought after I could sell it anytime with the same price, or better more, and hey I want to try this lens while I can .. before I die Smile

Oh boy, what a long post …

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First shot, at a café where I met the seller. Wow, I love the color and the rendering. And the sharpness too. Trembling. For oldtimer it might be just an old lens, but as mf lens newbie, I feels like holding a holy silver lens, a masterpiece from the past Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for field test. I went to digital imaging expo in Jakarta.
Oh boy, the silver body of the lens attract a lot of attention. Smile
Just shot and shot, went home and checked the result.
By the way I just realizes that the aperture preset was set between f/1.5 to f/2.8. So some shot might be at f/2.8 accidently.

First shot.
What? The bokeh is killing me. What a seasick dizzy bokeh. Smile I believe our dear friend Vilhelm Esox Lucius will fall fainting seeing this .. haha Smile
Well, it’s a learning process for me to know which kind of background that should be avoided.
#1, background that too close with the subject and contains letters! Very Happy

By the way it looks like the DOF is deeper in the corner. Is it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second shot. Aha, finally I found that bokeh I saw before. Dreamy swirly. Maybe for some it still looks distracting, but I love it Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next. Arg, the dizzy bokeh striked back. Lesson learned, avoid busy irregular background Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh ring test. Cool !!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky person, I would love a Helios 1.5/85, let alone a Biotar 1.5/75!

I actually like that shot of the girl, it shows me that this lens has a unique character that could be used for tremendous artictic effect.

I'd like to see a head and shoulders portrait with the person stood approx 2-3m from something as a background, something with detail and texture like a red brick wall, I think this could create the impression of a 'halo' effect that could look rather nice.

Well done on the Biotar find, I'm jealous!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just simple sharpness test. What do you think?

By the way I forgot to use Large JPEG size setting on my 5D, instead I set it on Small JPEG.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Second shot. Aha, finally I found that bokeh I saw before. Dreamy swirly. Maybe for some it still looks distracting, but I love it Smile

Ah, you made more posts while I was writing my reply!

This is the type of shot I was sugeesting and the bokeh behind the girl's face has given it the lovely effect I thought it would, nice work!

I will add Indonesia to my list of places to visit as the ladies look nice!

For a western person doing the tourist/photography thing, how hard is it to get around in Indonesia - do many people speak some English?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portrait test. I tended to put the object in the center knowing that at wide open this lens is super lack of sharpness in the frame corner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Just simple sharpness test. What do you think?

By the way I forgot to use Large JPEG size setting on my 5D, instead I set it on Small JPEG.

Not as sharp as a good 135mm but still sharp, I see no problems there. With this type of lens I don't think pin-sharpness is that important, as long as it's 'sharp enough' in the centre then that is good as the overall rendering character is superb to my eyes, that bokeh ring test shot is very nice, for example.

A trade show isn't the best place for taking shots but the special qualities of this lens are still shining through. With the 1.5 aperture and moderate telephoto length I would think this lens is perfect for candid shots in low light or at night time. You should try taking some shots at night of busy road intersections with lots of street lamps burning, that will really suit the bokeh effect of this lens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Portrait test. I tended to put the object in the center knowing that at wide open this lens is super lack of sharpness in the frame corner.

I very mich like the composition of this shot, you framed the lady very nicely, is she your wife/girlfriend? Very pretty lady.

I take it you stopped the lens down for this shot? The sharpness is improved and it looks more contrasty than the shot of the Roland drums. Look at the strands of hair in the very centre, those are razor sharp!

Looks like this lens is going to be very good for people shots like this.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Ah, you made more posts while I was writing my reply!

This is the type of shot I was sugeesting and the bokeh behind the girl's face has given it the lovely effect I thought it would, nice work!

I will add Indonesia to my list of places to visit as the ladies look nice!

For a western person doing the tourist/photography thing, how hard is it to get around in Indonesia - do many people speak some English?

Ian, thanks for the comments Smile

Well, its an expo, and expo = lot of beautiful sales girls Smile

For visiting Indonesia, you better buy traveling book titled "Lonely Planet", special edition for Indonesia. You could get super complete information about Indonesia Smile

Last edited by nixland on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Ian, thanks for the comments Smile

Well, its an expo, and expo = lot of beutiful sales girls Smile

For visiting Indonesia, you better buy traveling book titled "Lonely Planet", special edition for Indonesia. You could get super complete information about Indonesia Smile

Thankyour for the tip, I shall! I have never been to Asia so have been thinking about visiting.

I need to go to more Expos I think! Hehe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Not as sharp as a good 135mm but still sharp, I see no problems there. With this type of lens I don't think pin-sharpness is that important, as long as it's 'sharp enough' in the centre then that is good as the overall rendering character is superb to my eyes, that bokeh ring test shot is very nice, for example.

A trade show isn't the best place for taking shots but the special qualities of this lens are still shining through. With the 1.5 aperture and moderate telephoto length I would think this lens is perfect for candid shots in low light or at night time. You should try taking some shots at night of busy road intersections with lots of street lamps burning, that will really suit the bokeh effect of this lens.

Ian, thank you very much for the advices. I need that to fully exploite all the potensial of this lens Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another portrait. Sorry for bad composition Smile

Either I misfocus or that is the near corner sharpness ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, that busy background came back again … haha Smile

By the way, seeing this photo, old coating + too many light + no hood = low constrast ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second day test. This time I put a 72mm metal hood with stepup ring.

Paparazzi shot. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. The bokeh looks dreamy. Or is it because the girl is beautiful? You tell me Smile

Its misfocus though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather busy background but looks ok with me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She’s so cute Smile

She's got the look ... and Zeiss got the look too Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that’s it for now. I’ll post the outdoor daylight shot experience and my overall impression of this legendary lens tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
You lucky person, I would love a Helios 1.5/85, let alone a Biotar 1.5/75!

I actually like that shot of the girl, it shows me that this lens has a unique character that could be used for tremendous artictic effect.

I'd like to see a head and shoulders portrait with the person stood approx 2-3m from something as a background, something with detail and texture like a red brick wall, I think this could create the impression of a 'halo' effect that could look rather nice.

Well done on the Biotar find, I'm jealous!

I just read your above comment.
No need to be jealous Sir, wait till I share my first experience with Helios 85/1.5. It's more dramatic than this lens Smile I feel that the Helios is a little bit more beautiful .. so far Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're clearly a very good photographer and have a good eye for composition, your images are of banal subjects around an Expo but you make them have much more character and interest than they should, this is not just the lens, it is more the skill of the photographer, but this Biotar definitely helps!

The shot you say is badly composed I like, the girl's eyeline could be slightly lower in the frame and slightly more to the right but I'm nitpicking, the diffuse light from the globe light on the left gives it a nice soft warm character, this shot would not look out of place in a clothing catalogue, very professional look to it.

The next two shots of the heads and shoulders of the girls are nice too, despite the misfocus on the very pretty Sony lady, the 'halo' effect of the swirly background I thought might be there is and it makes the girls stand out from the background, I like that effect.

I agree with you that the hood has improved the contrast, the pic you say is a little less contrasty I agree is a little lacking but as you say, that is all the light sources there were and that problem could be easily fixed with PP.

One thing I notice, the ladies look part Asian and part Western, is this because of Indonesia's long history of Western settlement?

I also really like the way you used the shallow dof to isolate the western lady in the last shots, she looks Russian to me.

I look forward to your Helios-40 shots as I love the pics that lens takes, one day I will own one myself!

For the meantime I am happy usin my Helios 44-2, it has nice bokeh but not like the Helios 40!

I had to show this pic again, I love it, the soft focus really works, this is a great candid portrait and shows this Biotar will be a great portait lens for you and you clearly have the skills to put it to good use!

Now, all I need to know is where can I meet this lovely young lady? lol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the appreciation.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

One thing I notice, the ladies look part Asian and part Western, is this because of Indonesia's long history of Western settlement?

I dont' think so. They're just small number of the entire population Smile

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I also really like the way you used the shallow dof to isolate the western lady in the last shots, she looks Russian to me.

I think so Smile

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I look forward to your Helios-40 shots as I love the pics that lens takes, one day I will own one myself!

For the meantime I am happy usin my Helios 44-2, it has nice bokeh but not like the Helios 40!

I am very fascinated too with my Helios 44-3. In some photos I shot outdoor, at cloudy midday, it looks like I shot it with softbox light and looks pop-out. I think the shallow DOF at the center and the swirly bokeh has got to do with that Smile

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Now, all I need to know is where can I meet this lovely young lady? lol

Come to Jakarta, same time next year ... haha Smile