Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adaptall 200mm f3.5 's - which one (if any) is the best?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Adaptall 200mm f3.5 's - which one (if any) is the best? Reply with quote

Recently I acquired the earliest version of the adaptall 200mm lenses. That completes a set - I now have all three, the V1 (believed to be = the adaptamatic), the CT200 and the 04B. I did quite well on all three purchases. The CT200 was one of my first adaptall's, acquired with a 22A and a Yashica 50mm for a tenner inc. post. The yash was a s&r with a knackered iris and both the adaptalls had a bit of fungus. I cleaned the CT200 but it sat in my box for ages until I figured out how to put it back together! The 04B was a lucky bid - 15 inc post, and with a case. The V1 was the last: 12 inc post, but I sold the early version Nikon mount it came with for 8 so = 4.

I've been doing a few comparative pics to see if there are significant differences. As far as the lens specs go, the V1 and CT200 are optically very similar, both 4 element designs, 62mm filter. V1 has however a 9 blade iris, noticeably star shaped at f4-f8, and a cfd of 2m while the CT200 has 6 blades, lost the built in tripod mount and about 320g, and has a cfd of 2.5m. 04B has gained an extra element, has the shortest cfd at 1.7mm, 58mm filter and also a 6 blade iris. It's hood has modernised to a silly little "miniskirt". The most noticeable difference is the weight of the v1 relative to the other two - it's a bit of a lump at twice the weight.
Note that I replaced the grip on the V1. Early adaptalls are distinguishable from the later AD-2/SP range (if it's not clear from an items' description) by the rubber grip - speckled/faux croc for the early adaptalls, square dimples for the later adaptalls.

1. Tulip test. f10

I took the pics on my K-r, house wall bg. OtC jpg's, no pp. Didn't tell me very much tbh. CROPS: V1, CT200, 04B

2. SO... the Stone Cat will sort 'em out. Resolution and micro contrast on the cat, bokeh of the ivy on the brickwork behind.

CROPS: by f stop. First set f3.5, second f5.6, third f8. V1 top, CT200 middle, 04B bottom.

Scrutinising the original pics, it's all fairly marginal but I think the CT200 was the weakest at 3.5, while 04B became the crispest at f5.6, f8. Not really anything in it bokeh wise in this case.

In fact I have to say that I have been pleased with the pics from all three lenses, and that my impression from general picture taking is that there isn't a lot of difference in IQ between them. But I'll see how they do with some TP shots of the castle and with the 01F TC... watch this space.

Last edited by marcusBMG on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:33 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sharpest Tamron Adaptall in that general focal length neighborhood is the 63B. But it's only a 180mm lens.

And even with the 63B, sharper might not be better, depending on your application. Course if I were offered a 63B I'd accept in a heartbeat. That's not going to happen. Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 80-250/3.8

A bit soft open, but still usable.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that much difference in resolution maybe, but the more modern lens has a big advantage in contrast stopped down. I would consider that a trump. Unlike the earlier ones it also seems rather uncommon.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what idea of purchasing fast (thus large & heavy) lens, if using it stopped down?

I can't understand, people buying fast lens and using them at F8 or slower.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much easier to focus manually wide open.
You may not need wide open most of the time. In fact its generally not a good idea. My rule is to use the smallest aperture consistent with the conditions and the requirements of the picture. Its nice to have large apertures, like nuclear weapons, in reserve. It doesn't mean you need to use them all the time.
There are few modern 200mm primes less than f/3.5. And even the 200/4's (Pentax, Nikkor) are in the same size category as these.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: More test pics Reply with quote

Guardian: I'd love a 63B too but bit of a difference between £3/13 and £300+...

CuriousOne: I also have the 80-250 - interesting lens, quite good resolution.... mind you I also have 103A, 104A, 23A.... I'll have to work up to the 10 lens test....

Some shots taken today of the castle.
The castle always tends to be backlit from this side - its my flare and CA test! Not so bad at this time of year because the sun is high in the sky. Its approx position was above and ahead of my left shoulder, if you imagine me looking through the camera.
For variety I decided to use my Lumix G2 (12MPx, 2x crop factor). Focus was on the highest tower.

CROPS: by f stop. First set f3.5, second f5.6, third f8. V1 top, CT200 middle, 04B bottom.

The ct200 showed quite poorly at f3.5, not sure why, result is consistent with what I was seeing through the (magnified) EVF. Mind you I have b*****red about with this lens. Rapid improvement once closed down. Apart from that the resolution of stonework etc is pretty similar between the lenses at the same f.
There is a consistent improvement in contrast from v1 to ct200 to 04B. Particularly clear looking at the pics at 100% sided by side in Faststone.
The 04B showed the most persistent PF. V1 and CT200 showed relatively little once stopped down.

Last edited by marcusBMG on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my 80-250/3.8 for $4.74+$11.25 shipping on ebay. The seller had only two feedbacks and both were negative, but since the money was not that big, I've decided to try and I got lens in almost mint condition.

Here's crop 250@3.8

CA's are low and colors are nice, but too "Dreamy"

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Z250 80-250mm adaptall-1 Reply with quote

For you CuriousOne - a comparative shot, with the Z250 at f8, 250mm OtC, K-r. From a year ago when i got the lens - this was one of my 99p ones Cool Resolution is pretty good actually, stands comparison with my other adaptalls. Shame about the PF.

But now that I have LR I should take the pics again RAW and see what can be done with them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Prefer the V2 ;) Reply with quote

Thanks for your comparison ! Wink
I'm going to buy a CT-200 (V2) because i HATE PF/CA on V3 Twisted Evil
And V2 is "contrasty"/sharp enough to me.

It is exactly the same scheme with Canon FD 200 2.8 :
V1 is uncoated : low contrast, PF/CA disappear when stopping down
V2 is SSC multicoated : better contrast, PF/CA disappear when stopping down
V3 SSC IF : better contrast BUT PF/CA don't disappear when stopping down. Especially PF.

Conclusion ? ppl buy SSC non-IF V2 Wink

Strange similar design errors, in two different brands Question
Thanks again, very helpful !
PS : bought 20 euros, shipping included, just now Wink