Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The offspring of an ill-met pair: 9x12 to 4x5 adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: The offspring of an ill-met pair: 9x12 to 4x5 adapter Reply with quote

I'd been thinking of grafting a Graflex (or Graflok) back on to one of my 9x12s, but preferably in a reversible way and non-destructively, if possible.

Ladles and Gentlemans, I present

The GRAFAGEE

1. First, obtain a Graflex Spring Back - they're a fraction of the cost of a Graflok back, because people don't think they can take thick Polaroid holders, etc.

2. The screws need to be longer and a pair of compression springs put in - you'll see why. This idea is not mine, I came across it on photonet. The existing screws are some weird thread and the only ones to hand were 3mm, which necessitated a small tapping exercise.

3. The finished holes with the screws in place. On final assembly, the screws are low-strength Loctited, in case they work loose, and I might find better springs.

4. Spring back ready for re-assembly

5. Next, persuade one of your cameras to give up its back. The Welta had a lovely strong cast and machined aluminium GG holder, and was pressed into service as donor.

6. Stripped and rubbed down frame offered up for size.

7. The ex-GG frame was a touch too small on the inside dimensions, so was filed and ground out. As there was plenty of spare material in the frame, the finished size was nicely matched to the opening required for a 4x5.

8. The frame was then Araldited to the spring back and left to cure.

9. Finished article. An Ihagee with a 4x5 film holder stuck on it, and easily removeable.

Full size pic here http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2561/3934756286_6c207b4882_o.jpg

10. With a Polaroid 405 film pack holder, which is what the mod of the springs was all about.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2664/3933975781_d4bc3e37fc_o.jpg

Not totally finished yet. I've light-sealed the ends of the frame and might have to find some velvet for light trapping.

A new lease of life for an old camera and the great thing is, I can still use it for 9x12 or the Rada rollfilm back - and it also fits my two Weltas. Smile

Last edited by Farside on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I look forward your captures taken by this camera!