Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Last ever CZJ MC 'Sonnar' 135 3.5???
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Last ever CZJ MC 'Sonnar' 135 3.5??? Reply with quote

I picked this up for £10 today. The lens is known to be a good 'un but the serial no attracted me. According to a post made by Attila this is the last one made. http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-lenses-issue-date-by-serial-number-t6865.html

the aperture is stuck, any hints on how to loosen it. There is a little movement when you press the auto pin.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked OMG, that's awesome! I love to see cool serials.

As far as aperture, probably oil on the blades. Quick way is wiping them with lighter fluid over and over again. Better way is to disassemble everything. The late MC m42 Zeisses are simple mechanical designs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is one interesting lens, well worth fixing professionally.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like someone forgot to turn the counter on?

if that was a stamp you could have a valueble misprint.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked OMG, that's awesome! I love to see cool serials.

As far as aperture, probably oil on the blades. Quick way is wiping them with lighter fluid over and over again. Better way is to disassemble everything. The late MC m42 Zeisses are simple mechanical designs.

Sorted the aperture, good as new - the blades were dusty.

This has been in Cash Generator since summer advertised as a 'Jessops Olympus 49mm lense'. It had been reduced by £5. I saw it this morning when looking at another lens then I spotted the serial. It is in pretty mint condition and now works fine. Just how good are these and is it indeed a 'Sonnar'?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed a Sonnar. The "S" was used instead of the full because of various name usage rights.

There are many many great samples all over. In a world where most 135mm are good, the Sonnar still remains a favorite of many.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice catch. I think I probably have the same lens. I don't use it much because the focus is very stiff even after CLA'ed. Interestingly my record says that my lens has only four digits serial. Could be a typo. I will have to look for the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tao wrote:
A nice catch. I think I probably have the same lens. I don't use it much because the focus is very stiff even after CLA'ed. Interestingly my record says that my lens has only four digits serial. Could be a typo. I will have to look for the lens.

I understand from the info Attila has supplied (see link in first post) that 4 digits is soon after. Mine is metal body yours is probably a plastic body with electric contacts. ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fantastic serial number, and what a great price too! Surely that's going to be worth a few quid to the right person. Cool

I have two of these, all metal, no electrical contacts. One has a 5 figure serial number, the other one has 6 figure one.

The 5 figure one has a pure purple reflection on the front element, the 6 figure lens reflects purple and blue.

I have no idea what this means. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find!
And a real collector's lens, which will be worth several Sonnar lenses (or some hundreds at ebay)!
Get it proffessionally serviced! No DIY!

Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
That's a fantastic serial number, and what a great price too! Surely that's going to be worth a few quid to the right person. Cool

I have two of these, all metal, no electrical contacts. One has a 5 figure serial number, the other one has 6 figure one.

The 5 figure one has a pure purple reflection on the front element, the 6 figure lens reflects purple and blue.

I have no idea what this means. Laughing

This has a really orange reflection I remember from the 70's when I sold them. Although this was apparently made in 1975 we were still selling them in 1979.

exaklaus wrote:
Great find!
And a real collector's lens, which will be worth several Sonnar lenses (or some hundreds at ebay)!

Klaus

Oops already DIY'd but fine and with no marks on the screw heads - promise!

I think the serial will have some value but I doubt it will be worth "several Sonnars" but I face the dilemma 'sell or keep?'. I have several 135's, perhaps I should sell one of my Jupiters.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
tao wrote:

I understand from the info Attila has supplied (see link in first post) that 4 digits is soon after. Mine is metal body yours is probably a plastic body with electric contacts. ?

I find the lens. Mine is M42 mount with auto pin, metal body, no contacts. Other than the 4-digit serial number it looks exactly like yours.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably later version

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
Great find!

Klaus

+100

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

No Jena Sonnar has plastic body as far as i know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

No Jena Sonnar has plastic body as far as i know.

I thought so too, but didnt they make a version not called Sonnar or S but simply Carl Zeiss Jena 135 f3.5 with a (part) plastic barrel. I actually had one which I converted to Nikon early last year It was the version with the electrical contacts . It too had a problem with the aperture and the inside was the same but part of the barrel was plastic, whereas this version is all metal

Now to my knowlege that was a Sonnar design. Or was it? I am unable to find any information about it. I would appreciate your thoughts.

I know this lens is held in high regard so I'm happy I got it at a bargain price. The serial is actually incidental but rather cool anyway. So what WAS the difference between lenses with these 8 digit serials and later 4 or 5 digit ones??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
exaklaus wrote:
Great find!

Klaus

+100

+1000 Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sonnar serial 10186289, so for now mine is the last one.

Edit: Mine is marked as "electric MC SONNAR" instead of "MC S".

Edit2: My Pancolar and Flektogon 20 electric are both above 10 million too.