Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Paragon f/3.3 200mm M42 (Cimko MT 200mm)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Super Paragon f/3.3 200mm M42 (Cimko MT 200mm) Reply with quote

Hi folks

Another eBay cheapie, a Super Paragon f/3.3 200mm M42 which is a rebranded Cimko MT 200mm. In near mint condition, optics look almost perfect.

Lacks a wee bit of contrast but a little PP fixed that, it's sharper than I expected and seems to be a decent performer, especially for a lens that was a cheapie when it was new.

What do folks think? Good or bad? All shot wide open, seems pretty sharp to me for what it is.

100% crop:

100% crop, I think the focus was a wee bit off:

100% crop, you can read the tiny text just about which I think is pretty good for a cheap 200mm:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lens would not be up to my standards, but then I am spoiled by the Takumar 200mm and the very good Meyer 200/4.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's nothing special but it will suffice until I can afford a better 200mm. I would love a Meyer 200 but they seem to be pretty sought after judging by how many bids they usually get on ebay.

Any other 200mm lenses people recommend that aren't too expensive?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Yeah, it's nothing special but it will suffice until I can afford a better 200mm. I would love a Meyer 200 but they seem to be pretty sought after judging by how many bids they usually get on ebay.

Check this out:
http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-200mm-f3-5-t37193.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Calvin, I'll keep my eye out for a Helios 200.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For alternative you can choose Chinon(flex) 200mm 3.5. I purchased one for € 10 some years ago and found another one on the thriftmarket last week offered for the same price.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4525454225_38e9b20aa3.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4525960594_1938ebfd83_o.jpg.
You will need a short extensionring extra with it (cheap in M42), because the min. focus distance is 2.70m

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
For alternative you can choose Chinon(flex) 200mm 3.5. I purchased one for € 10 some years ago and found another one on the thriftmarket last week offered for the same price.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4525454225_38e9b20aa3.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4525960594_1938ebfd83_o.jpg.
You will need a short extensionring extra with it (cheap in M42), because the min. focus distance is 2.70m

Thankyou for that tip. I have heard that most chinon lenses are pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand ... your lens may be capable to better IQ. The first period with manual focusing you have to deal with a larger amount of lesser pictures because you really need some excercising in use for focusing and sometimes diverging apertures by your lightmeter, depending of camera and lens. So you might improve your work faster by making and analysing more pictures then by fast switching of lenses. Even when you now get the most perfect lens in hands, you have no garantee of making superb pictures immediatly.
Really, I don't want to heal you from LBA, only want to give a hint to get soon more pleasure out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
On the other hand ... your lens may be capable to better IQ. The first period with manual focusing you have to deal with a larger amount of lesser pictures because you really need some excercising in use for focusing and sometimes diverging apertures by your lightmeter, depending of camera and lens. So you might improve your work faster by making and analysing more pictures then by fast switching of lenses. Even when you now get the most perfect lens in hands, you have no garantee of making superb pictures immediatly.
Really, I don't want to heal you from LBA, only want to give a hint to get soon more pleasure out of it.

That is very good advice and I am well aware that I am finding it very hard to get accurate focus with my manual lenses. I need to practice more and get some AF confirm adapters.

I would like to have a t least one or two very good lenses in the colelction right away so that I have something to work with that i know is sharp that way I know if the pics aren't sharp it's my fault.

I agree with you though, this lens is probably capable of better IQ than my test shots show. I need to take more pics with this lens and see if the IQ can be improved with better focus and exposure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I got an early Pentacon 4/200 (similar to the Meyer lens) last year, for a very reasonable price, from a local seller.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Super Paragon 135mm which I'm rather impressed with, I use it a lot as a walkabout lens.
It's not as razor sharp as my Takumar 235, but the colour rendition is way better. ( In my opinion )
It's a lot better than my Soligor ( Chrome ears ) 135mm though, and the Paragon is smaller and lighter than both of them.

It's a 'store brand lens' and I guess it's the luck of the draw as to who they got to make them on the day ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably right Lloydy, I see a lot of Paragon branded lenses and they vary a lot so it looks like they sourced them from a lot of different manufacturers.