Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

24 mm lens for nex 3 and 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: 24 mm lens for nex 3 and 5 Reply with quote

I use the 2,8/24 nikon ais.

Nice lens, of course, don't say nothing new.

Very good constrast.

But I need something more crisp, sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My FD SSC 24/2.8 is sharp wide open and gets better stopped down.
I'll add more as I think of them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica Hexanon AR 2.8/24

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
My FD SSC 24/2.8 is sharp wide open and gets better stopped down.
I'll add more as I think of them.

+1

I had two chrome nose copies, both excellent at f2.8 already.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biogon 21mm and Biogon 25mm are outstanding good but also expensive

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even more expensive FD 24/1.4. Not quite as crisp as the Biogons, strong coma wide open, but an excellent lens nevertheless.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZM25, Nex7 frendly too. (At least with my short time with it)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD Rokkor 24mm/2.8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielT74 wrote:
Or even more expensive FD 24/1.4. Not quite as crisp as the Biogons, strong coma wide open, but an excellent lens nevertheless.

Some claim that FD 24mm f2 is even better. I've never had the L version, but 24mm f2 is certainly excellent in every aspect. Of course it's also more expensive than 24mm f2.8. As others have said, FD 24mm f2.8 is very good too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 and the Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 SSC. I've never thought to compare the two, though. I've always been happy with my Nikkor's performance. I also have the Tamron 24mm, which compares very favorably with the Nikkor and is just a tad sharper, based on my own observations.

Vivitar marketed a 24mm f/2 made by Kiron that's supposed to be very good, but I've never used one, so I'm just passing on what I've read.

What about the Leitz 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R? How deep are your pockets?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

What about the Leitz 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R? How deep are your pockets?

It's good, not stellar, but I was having infinity issues with my adapter, I'll be retesting it soon to see I it's a keeper.
I think the 28 has better rep. than the Minolta/Leitz 24/2.8 does.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Sigma Super Wides?

Anyone who thinks they're no good should see the kinds of prices they command today!! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of you, friends.

I took note of your suggestions.

My wallet is ok, this is not the first place problem.

Good for the zeiss, and for the leica R.

My copy of the hexanon was something prone to flare and does not resolve so good heavy backlight situations.

The canon f/2 and 2.8 are a good options too i guess.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zeiss 1.8/24 made for nex7, AF lens, 1000usd, is the best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of you, friends.

I took note of your suggestions.

My wallet is ok, this is not the first place problem.

Good for the zeiss, and for the leica R.

My copy of the hexanon was something prone to flare and does not resolve so good heavy backlight situations.

The canon f/2 and 2.8 are good options too i guess.

Nobody tells nothing about the f/2 om. Well, seem not to be so good lenses.

Well, to look for one of the suggested lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
DanielT74 wrote:

Some claim that FD 24mm f2 is even better. I've never had the L version, but 24mm f2 is certainly excellent in every aspect. Of course it's also more expensive than 24mm f2.8. As others have said, FD 24mm f2.8 is very good too.

Yes, I've seen claims in both direction. The 24/1.4 I have can certainly be sharp wide open but not sharp like the Contax G lenses.

Wide open and close up:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
The Zeiss 1.8/24 made for nex7, AF lens, 1000usd, is the best.

Thanks. Not matter the money, but i only use mf lenses. I bought my 3,4 telyt for that money.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielT74 wrote:

Yes, I've seen claims in both direction. The 24/1.4 I have can certainly be sharp wide open but not sharp like the Contax G lenses.

Wide open and close up:

Well, it's very simple with those claims: a great copy of whichever lens will outperform a middle-of-the-road copy.

24mm f2 wide open (might be a crop too, I don't remember).

and now the crop of the above:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daniel74 for posting that shot, it gives me faith(that it's worth getting) in that lens again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 (Tokina made, serial # starting by 37... ) is a cheap alternative and not bad at all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Thanks Daniel74 for posting that shot, it gives me faith(that it's worth getting) in that lens again.

+1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
The Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 (Tokina made, serial # starting by 37... ) is a cheap alternative and not bad at all.

Thanks jesito.

I am in lenses world from a long time ago. But without much experience in w.a. lenses because don't like them very much. So want to buy one really really good, and no more look for a 24 mm lens anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a shot for sharpness and flare resistance of my SSC 24/2.8

Large:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/6953461352/sizes/k/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about Nikkor 24/2.8 ai/ais? How is it comparing to SSC 24/2.8? Has anyone owned both the lenses?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:
And what about Nikkor 24/2.8 ai/ais? How is it comparing to SSC 24/2.8? Has anyone owned both the lenses?

I do, but I haven't run a test comparison on them yet. Anybody with a NEX wanna let me borrow it so I can do the test right? Cool

Seriously, I have an EOS DSLR and the only way I can compare the two lenses digitally is to use an FD-EOS adapter for the SSC lens, which also behaves as a 1.2x teleconverter, and which also exhibits some blooming flare at apertures wider than about f/3.5 or so. Actually I have two. One is a Fotodiox brand and it handles flare better than the other. But it still behaves as a 1.2x TC.

You've piqued my curiosity though. I may go ahead and do it anyway.

UPDATE: I just took some comparison shots. The results might surprise you. I'll post them in a separate thread.