Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fuji X100 - Willow Pond and B&W Oxalis
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Fuji X100 - Willow Pond and B&W Oxalis Reply with quote

Film Simulation set to Velvia
ISO200

Willow Pond

Film Simulation set to standard Black and White
ISO200 Wide Open f:2

Oxalis in Black and White

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my monitor and from your previous pictures Fuji...0 Pentax 645....1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Haha! Hey, it's hard to trump the Pentax 645. Smile These are pretty much
rookie images though. I hope to make them better as I learn more about
the idiosyncracies of this camera. I need to practice patience, and if the
Pentax 645 wins out for me in the long run, then it will still be my "go to"
camera. (Actually, it will always be my go to camera - this Fuji would be
used as a different tool for any circumstances where I realize it
would be the most useful tool).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

+1 on my monitor
but Fuji win in size and weight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I think you will really enjoy this camera.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larry i hope people here are joking and dont seriously want to compare a compact digicam with top of the line medium format cam, as that would be ludicrous.

ansel adams is not running out to buy the fuji to replace his rig, right fellas? lets keep things in perspective and compare apples to apples. this cam competes with top p&s like leica and sigma etc, what is so cool about it is that it also seems to compete with EVILs as well, and very favorably from what i see. so we can even compare apples to cran-apples, but not to caviar! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the results very much! Worth waiting for!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
larry i hope people here are joking and dont seriously want to compare a compact digicam with top of the line medium format cam, as that would be ludicrous.

ansel adams is not running out to buy the fuji to replace his rig, right fellas? lets keep things in perspective and compare apples to apples. this cam competes with top p&s like leica and sigma etc, what is so cool about it is that it also seems to compete with EVILs as well, and very favorably from what i see. so we can even compare apples to cran-apples, but not to caviar! Laughing

But he set a digital camera to Film Simulation i.e Velvia, so your point is silly....Now how can you beat the real thing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
rbelyell wrote:

But he set a digital camera to Film Simulation i.e Velvia, so your point is silly....Now how can you beat the real thing.

C'mon guys, noone is silly here! Please, refrain from mutual accusations.

Larry chose the Velvoe setting for the colour effect, surely not to compare the outcome with his Pentax on a pixel-peeper level.
Am I right, Larry? Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luis there are no 'mutual' accusations when only one party calls another silly!

excalibur, larrys settings are irrelevent to the idea of seriously comparing a fixed lens shirt pocketable digicam to a professional medium format rig. one can use PP programs to duplicate velvia on a $75 lumix!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****luis there are no 'mutual' accusations when only one party calls another silly!***

Hey I didn't say "YOU" were silly just your "POINT" you made.

***larrys settings are irrelevent to the idea of seriously comparing a fixed lens shirt pocketable digicam to a professional medium format rig. one can use PP programs to duplicate velvia on a $75 lumix!***

Fuji with a 12.3mp sensor is serious competition to a film camera if you only have a flatbed scanner. There is 24mp on film (well 35mm), but an Epson V750 can give 7mp scan for 35mm (erm film losing out now) and 6X4.5 neg scan would be better of course, but medium format shots can give richness/depth of colour and quality which is the judge in comparing with digital shots, and the shot we are debating IMHO didn't make the grade.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went over to check my email on this home computer, and my stomach
dropped a notch. Sad

Carsten wrote:
C'mon guys, noone is silly here! Please, refrain from mutual accusations.

Larry chose the Velvoe setting for the colour effect, surely not to compare the outcome with his Pentax on a pixel-peeper level.
Am I right, Larry? Wink

I agree. NO ONE is silly, and ALL opinions and critiques are things that I
really like, whether I agree or not. That is how I learn as well as know
how others are approaching results. We need to all be nice to each
other, because it is easy to not word things well online, and it easy
to come across as too blunt.

I actually should have expounded more about the "film effects" on the
Fuji X100. I am basically posting ALL these images only as TESTS and
PRACTICE.

My field tests aren't scientific, and definitely not meant to be at
the pixel-peeping level. I guess you call comparison of ISOs to sort of
be "pixel-peeping" but it's not meant that way.

So, to come to my point: I submitted the Velvia film effect to show that
the greens get too saturated for my taste with that effect. I wanted to
see what others thought without first saying it myself.

Also, I'm not all that excited about the Black and White effect. It seems
muddy, at least on the image I posted. However, there are other types
of Black and White effects that I will try, and maybe those will be better
(or worse). Laughing

Remember, this is for the FUN of photography, and the FUN of seeing how
various cameras render images.

Of course, I LOVE my 645, and I'm certain that a digital image is not
going to top it. Cool

I continue to treasure ALL comments of posted images. I WANT opinions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

Of course, I LOVE my 645, and I'm certain that a digital image is not
going to top it. Cool

Your loyalty is commendable, Larry. Fortunately for folks like you and me, the pros who used to use Pentax 645s and Bronica ETR-Sis and Mamiya 645s for pro work have forsaken their film rigs for digital. So now we can buy outfits for a few hundred bucks that used to sell for a few thousand.

Your X100 has a top-notch Fujinon lens and a high enough resolution and big enough sensor size where I would be quite surprised if it didn't come close to equaling your Pentax 645 in image quality. It may be a fixed lens camera, but just because it is, that doesn't mean it isn't a damn good one. We should all recall Fuji's long practice of building a goodly variety of fixed lens medium format cameras over the years, and they have all been excellent cameras.

I'm looking forward to seeing more pics from this camera. I'm sure that, as your understanding of it improves, so will your photos.

The two photos above are technically excellent. I've walked on grass that green before, so I don't really see it as being oversaturated. As for the B&W photo, its tonality is sort of blah. You might have better luck moving the raw image into PS and massaging it within the software. I'm curious what it looks like as a color photo, though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the results so far are quite convincing and indicates a very usefull, even good camera in pocketable size, with a nice lens and good high ISO qualities too. That is great!
No reason to believe it has to outrun professional rigs at all.
More using the camera will give better grounds to choose for this one under conditions it can deliver on its best. So we look out for more samples!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
I think the results so far are quite convincing and indicates a very usefull, even good camera in pocketable size, with a nice lens and good high ISO qualities too. That is great!
No reason to believe it has to outrun professional rigs at all.
More using the camera will give better grounds to choose for this one under conditions it can deliver on its best. So we look out for more samples!

Extremely perceptive and well explained Minolfan! I agree with you and
others who are feeling positive about the camera. It's not going to have
what everybody wants, but I think Fuji made a good baby-step in the
right direction with this first model of its type.

Yes..more images will tell a better story than anything else.