Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Plastic screw-in lens caps?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Plastic screw-in lens caps? Reply with quote

Does any company sell plastic screw-in lens caps?

Screw-in is always more secure for hiking and stuffing my camera in a backpack, but with metal screw-in caps I always fear accidentally scratching the front element of the lens with the edge of it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Plastic screw-in lens caps? Reply with quote

wuxiekeji wrote:
Does any company sell plastic screw-in lens caps?

Screw-in is always more secure for hiking and stuffing my camera in a backpack, but with metal screw-in caps I always fear accidentally scratching the front element of the lens with the edge of it.

Quite a few on ebay depending on what size you want:
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xscrew+in+lens+cap&_nkw=screw+in+lens+cap&_sacat=0&_from=R40
Probably all metal though.
I don't think that this makes a difference as far as the possibility of scratching the lens is concerned.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only one, which is plastic and it is 42mm. It came with an M42 2X teleconverter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like OH said, check eBay. I've seen one that was metal once and was 52mm. For hiking, I'd go with center-pinch caps. They're a buck, hold fast, and are plenty durable. Also, if you're out throughout the day and the temperature changes, your cap may swell or shrink. With a center-pinch cap, that's no big deal. With a screw-in cap, that could make taking a photo difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Like OH said, check eBay. I've seen one that was metal once and was 52mm. For hiking, I'd go with center-pinch caps. They're a buck, hold fast, and are plenty durable. Also, if you're out throughout the day and the temperature changes, your cap may swell or shrink. With a center-pinch cap, that's no big deal. With a screw-in cap, that could make taking a photo difficult.

I do have all center-pinch caps. But they have a tendency to fall off easily, especially when crammed into my backpack, and then that leaves the lens vulnerable.

With metal caps the edge is extremely sharp, and since the material is harder than glass it can scratch easily if your hand slips while taking it off. If the screw-in cap were made of plastic and you accidentally scraped the surface when taking the cap off (for example, trying to unscrew the lens while walking) it would do a lot less damage to the lens surface ...