Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon options
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Nikon options Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm new here on this forum and I'm looking for advice for some lenses. I use Nikon D7000 and would like to know what options I have if I want to try the world of MF lenses.

I'm interested in landscape and macro. I have one old Industar 50-2 50mm f/3.5 and Helios 44M 58mm f2 lenses from my mother and would like to test them. I think both are m42 version.

What else would You recommend? Also I have no adapter and would like to know what brand is recommended for D7000 and if there is any risk with using it?

Expect more questions in future Smile

Thank You in advance

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use old manual nikkors without the adapter

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000.htm

for other lens types go to ebay and search for adapters and you'll see which are available

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, welcome here.

To use the M42-lenses you will need an M42 to Nikon-adapter. Look for them on ebay. They are rather cheap (search on M42 Nikon adapter D7000, and you'll find some in HongKong for less than €3 including shipping). I'm not familiar with the D7000, so I'm not sure about metering etc. On my D300 it works rather well, although I'm not able to focus to infinity, but if you use macro you won't need that either.

More convenient to use are old lenses with Nikon-mount which can sometimes be found at a rather cheap price.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome here.

A Nikon cam is a very good overall choice but not for MF lenes which are not from Nikon ( a question of register distance). So if you like to work with MF lenses you should buy Nikkors. There are a lot for sale at *.bay and at the end the qualitiy of the lenses and the images is as good as with other lenses.

You can also look here www.leitax.com for more information how you can convert Leica-R lenses to Nikon mount.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for help and the welcome Smile

So if I get this right, I can only use nikon F mount lenses if I want infinity focus and M42 mount lenses for short focus(macro) only?

Which lens do You recommend for macro(M42 version)? I would like to try some lenses since I see some are really cheap on evilbay?

According to this chart http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm I presume AI-S Nikkors are safe to use on my D7000 but only in A or M mode right? I saw one 50mm 1.4 AI-S I might buy.

Leica-R lenses will have to wait a little till my piggy bank fattens a little Very Happy

Thx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobrodošel na forumu...

You can use every Nikon lens that is Ai or Ai-S, non-Ai or pre-Ai must be modified first... the same goes for third party lenses...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and enjoy your stay!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hvala NikonD za sprejem in informacije!

Thx guys! Very nice forum Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42 glass on Nikon you need either

A) mechanical adapter, no infinity achieved
B) adapter with optical glass, infinity reached but loss of detail and contrast because the glass acts like a 1.2x teleconverter

M42 lenses inexpensive and good quality: Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 Sonnar and Biotar 58/2 are good pair to start. Personally, I don't see why buy M42 lenses for a D7000 when same or better Nikon F-mount lenses are available at same price (Nikkor 50/2, Nikkor 135/3.5).

For Nikon F-mount lenses you can 99% trust Ken Rockwell's chart http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm as there are only a few lenses to avoid, and they are mentioned on that page.

You have to understand the difference between safe to mount and use and does not support full metering. Nikkor Ai-S and Ai lenses are safe to mount and they will meter in certain modes (see KR's chart link) as long as you program the focal length and max aperture on your D7000 menu.

Inexpensive manual focus Nikkors that I can recommend, these lenses will give you excellent image quality on your D7000 and will not cost a lot (price depending on condition)

Nikkor 135/3.5 (60-100 EUR)
Nikkor 50/1.4 (60-100 EUR)
Nikkor 55/3.5 Micro (60-100 EUR)
Nikkor 85/1.8 Ai (150-200 EUR)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:

Inexpensive manual focus Nikkors that I can recommend, these lenses will give you excellent image quality on your D7000 and will not cost a lot (price depending on condition)

Nikkor 135/3.5 (60-100 EUR)
Nikkor 50/1.4 (60-100 EUR)
Nikkor 55/3.5 Micro (60-100 EUR)
Nikkor 85/1.8 Ai (150-200 EUR)

Nikkor 28/3.5 (60-100€)
Nikkor 80-200/4.5 (40-80€)

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
Nikkor 28/3.5 (60-100€)
Nikkor 80-200/4.5 (40-80€)

Wink

Yes! Totally agree. Sorry, I was thinking only full-frame use, but D7000 crop frame improves on all lenses as it only uses the center part of optics, no reason to worry too much about vignetting or soft corners.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Še enkrat dobrodošel!

Yes the F mount register distance is grater then the one for the M42 mount, a few m42 lenses can be modifierd to reach infinity, but leave that for later, after you accquire more expirience with F mount mf lenses. One thing to add, there are also some third party lenses in F mount, Vivitar, Tamron T2 mount lenses, Kiron and a few more.

some more expensive F mount mf lenses:

Nikkor 105/2.5, pre AI or AIS
Nikkor 28/2
Nikkor 24/2.8
Nikkor 50/1.4 AIS

lep pozdrav

tomas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use all Tamron Adaptall, T-mount and Russian A-mount (preset) lenses with suitable Nikon F adapter.

There´s also a line of Russian/Ukrainian made F-mount lenses (originally for Kiev 17, -19 and -20 model cameras), which are usually reasonably priced.

MC Zenitar N 2.8/16 Fisheye
Mir-47N 2.5/20
Arsat N 2.8/20 (Mir-73N)
Mir-20N 3.5/20
MC Mir-24N 2/35
Arsat N 1.4/50
Helios-81N 2/50 (Arsat N 50/2)
MC Kaleinar-5N 2.8/100
Telear N 3.5/200
Granit-11 4.5/80-200 Zoom

There´s samples on this forum, you can use search option.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Rockwell's list, he's off in a couple places. My pre-AI Nikkors mounted fine on my D50. On my D300, it's more complicated: 85mm and 20mm will not mount, but 105mm mounts fine. Go figure. Maybe sample variation?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
In regards to Rockwell's list, he's off in a couple places. My pre-AI Nikkors mounted fine on my D50. On my D300, it's more complicated: 85mm and 20mm will not mount, but 105mm mounts fine. Go figure. Maybe sample variation?

Sample variation? Not at all.

Some of the older Nikkors are slimmer than others. Some lenses have thinner aperture rings which slip under the AI or minimum aperture tabs without (or barely) making contact.

A few of the 'narrow' lenses are the 24mm f/2.8 (possibly), 28mm f/3.5, 35mm f/2.8 (versions 1 and 2) and 50mm f/2.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mastazeko wrote:

According to this chart http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm I presume AI-S Nikkors are safe to use on my D7000 but only in A or M mode right? I saw one 50mm 1.4 AI-S I might buy.

You can safely mount AIS and AI lenses, also pre-AI lenses which have been converted to AI ("Ai'ed"). Some third-party pre-AI lenses in Nikon mount are safe, others are not. Most pre-AI Nikkor lenses are not safe to mount. Nikon "E" lenses are also safe to mount (they are in fact AIS lenses).

Your D7000 has a manual AI metering tab (currently, its the lowest Nikon camera in the range to have this feature) so you will get both matrix and spot metering, as you say in M and A modes only.

You can enter the max. aperture and the focal length through the menus, which means the focal length shows up in the EXIF and the matrix metering is better. I recommend that you set your camera to select aperture with the aperture ring, rather than with the command dial; its more accurate.

You can save the aperture/focal length for up to nine non-CPU lenses and select them from a menu, or assign a function button to select from these lenses to do so without a menu.

You can use CPU-enabled manual focus lenses in any mode (M, A, S, even P if you must). These don't need to be added to any menu, the CPU tells the camera what the focal length, aperture and exit pupil are.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also highly recommend a few other Nikkors at reasonable prices that do quite well

Nikkor 35mm f2 AI with 190° of focus throw...quite sharp

Nikkor 50mm f2 AI 230° of focus throw...very sharp

Nikkor 85mm f2 AI 255° of FT...sharp

Nikkor 135mm f2.8 AI 270° of FT ....very sharp

Nikkor 200mm f4 AI or AI-S 205° of FT....very sharp

Nikkor 300mm f4.5 ED AI (non-IF) exceptionally sharp

Nikkor 300mm f2.8 IF-ED N AI-S (final version-minimum focus distance to 3 meters...very sharp

Nikkor 400mm f5.6 ED AI (non-IF) exceptionally sharp

A few zooms that are highly recommended that do well

Nikkor 25-50mm f4 (wide zooms command a higher then normal price at times...these three wide zooms do quite well and are sharp)

Nikkor 28-45mm f4.5 AI

Nikkor 28-50mm f3.5 AI-S

Nikkor 50-135mm f3.5 AI-S very sharp

Nikkor 75-150mm f3.5 E very sharp

Nikkor 80-200mm f4.5 (New) final version with the rectangular cutout on the rear mount is the sharpest

Zoom-Nikkor 50-300mm f4.5 ED final version with the large collar and tripod mount (this is an exceptional lens that shoots remarkably well at all focal lengths and is worth the cost,pix with this lens are amazing...usually about $900-$1000 US*note I haven't checked the prices lately in the last six months or so)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice list!

Thx guys for all the help and a lot of new info Smile