Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do you like the E Pens JPEG engine ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: How do you like the E Pens JPEG engine ? Reply with quote

Probably you'll say :" WOW ! It's great ! Best in-camera JPEG engine ever !" as they say in the warious reviews on the net ....
Well , I don't like the results ! Maybe I do like bold color and contrast images , but ,at default settings , the JPEGS straight from my EPL1 seem to me somehow dull ,washed. OK, I've tweaked the settings , it's better now , but I prefere the output from RAW thru Capture One. The adjusting scale of Saturation ,Sharpness ,contrast seems to me rather rude with only 2 steps + and - from 0 . It seems to me that Canon and Sony NEX are doing better.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar experience with Olympus E-1 and Panasonic G1 had to use custom setting instead of default, best default settings what I ever used that is Samsung NX100 defaults

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: How do you like the E Pens JPEG engine ? Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Probably you'll say :" WOW ! It's great ! Best in-camera JPEG engine ever !" as they say in the warious reviews on the net ....
Well , I don't like the results ! Maybe I do like bold color and contrast images , but ,at default settings , the JPEGS straight from my EPL1 seem to me somehow dull ,washed. OK, I've tweaked the settings , it's better now , but I prefere the output from RAW thru Capture One. The adjusting scale of Saturation ,Sharpness ,contrast seems to me rather rude with only 2 steps + and - from 0 . It seems to me that Canon and Sony NEX are doing better.

I have E-PL1 and NEX-5, and I certainly prefer the jpeg output of E-PL1. It's not perfect: sometimes I prefer jpeg and sometimes lightroom RAW, but more often than not I am choosing jpeg as a starting point. With NEX it's the other way around. It's also easier for me to make E-PL1 file look right than NEX file. Then again, it's a noisy sensor and I have high tolerance for noise. One tip that I have, turn off noise reduction completely. I forgot how they call it, noise filter perhaps?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: How do you like the E Pens JPEG engine ? Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
yinyangbt wrote:

I have E-PL1 and NEX-5, and I certainly prefer the jpeg output of E-PL1. It's not perfect: sometimes I prefer jpeg and sometimes lightroom RAW, but more often than not I am choosing jpeg as a starting point. With NEX it's the other way around. It's also easier for me to make E-PL1 file look right than NEX file. Then again, it's a noisy sensor and I have high tolerance for noise. One tip that I have, turn off noise reduction completely. I forgot how they call it, noise filter perhaps?

Yes , noise filter .I've put it on off from the start.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow up:

How curious ! Very Happy
Now , after 2 years , I shurely prefere the jpegs from oly to those from Nex 3 ,both with my own settings !!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have poor colour vision - I can read the colour blind dot patterns - and I now realise, from hearing people with "good colour vision" argue, that everybody sees colours differently ! !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive used pens since the ep1, plus the em5. imo there are at least 3 different sensors involved whether they admit it or not, that used in the 1 series, that used in the 2-4 series and that used in the om5. there may have even been a tweak subsequent to the em5. the 2-4 series has absolutely brilliant color, many think it too saturated (not me) and great contrast. i used the ep2 for years and now have the epl5 which is the last model with the pre om5 sensor. ive no issue with color or contrast.

however, i did have an om5, bought with hopes it would be my primary camera. i hated it. the rendering was soft and muted, just as you found. i sold it and got a cheap epl5 and the results were stunningly different. just like the difference between the fuji x100 and x100S--same line, totally different rendering.

my personal experience was that the ep2 and epl5 have actually spoiled me for other jpegs. the fuji x100 was also special in this regard. all three are better jpegs than my very expensive rx1, which imo can only be shot raw.