Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Smooth & Dry - Rokkor 58/1.2 & Trioplan 100/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Smooth & Dry - Rokkor 58/1.2 & Trioplan 100/2.8 Reply with quote

Since becoming a bokeh buff, I've taken to referring to how a lens handles oof in artistic, but probably logical expressions. No-X touched on this in the 'distracting' bokeh thread, offering 'dry' in relation to bokeh which I also find myself using. I decided to shoot the same scene each 'dry' and 'smooth' with lenses than I feel render in these characteristic ways. I was also curious as to corresponding effect on my creative direction from there.

Minolta 58/1.2 Rokkor 'smooth'

Meyer 100/2.8 Trioplan 'dry'

Because the Trioplan had to be slightly farther back and Rokkor forward, the depth of field is forced to be deeper for the Trioplan. Also with it's narrower field of view at 100mm, the background is somewhat magnified next to the more encompassing 58, hence the lack of sky.

These results did cause me to filter from the bottom to turn the snow bluer for the Trioplan to create interest, where I warmed the snow for the Rokkor to counter-point the sky.

Anyways, a sliver of late winter bokeh from finally warming Canada to enjoy Smile

K.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it's hard to judge from this tiny image, it looks like the Rokkor was shot wide open. Try it at something like f/1.6 and it will be _much_ smoother/creamier.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
Although it's hard to judge from this tiny image, it looks like the Rokkor was shot wide open. Try it at something like f/1.6 and it will be _much_ smoother/creamier.

Hi AhamB, thanks for stopping in. Yes, lenses are both wide open, it is the best way to judge character. I agree as one stops down a lens slightly and concentrates more on the center of the glass, the aberrations at the edges of specular highlights are correspondingly diminished in oof, resulting in a smoothing effect. In lenses such as the Trioplan where the edges of the highlights show a pronounced bright ring, the transition to a smoother oof is even more striking. I believe this effect is universal.

As for the small images, yes. Flickr no longer readily provides the address of larger versions of files as per their policy on direct linking. I hadn't posted these on my personal page, but perhaps I'll do that more now with flickr's change.

K.