Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do I have tilt capability?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: How do I have tilt capability? Reply with quote

I'm looking for the least expensive way to have lenses that tilt. Don't care about shift. What about a 4/3 mirrorless body and Lensbaby tilt transformer so I could use with my Nikon lenses? Would that be a good way to do it? I know Nikon makes perspective control lenses, but they're about 2 grand each. And then you're stuck with 1 focal length if you just have one. And can the aperture be adjusted with a G lens with the transformer?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take appropriate ordinary lens and camera. Use two tripods, setting lens and camera on each. Bring together, with as little distance between each as possible. Adjust until the correct shift and tilt achieved! Cover the distance with copious, light impermeable, material, black latex? Take pictures and enjoy results.

What camera and lens are you intending to use?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're up for a DIY approach, I'm sure you could build a short bag bellows with two mounts for a fraction of the cost of the lensbaby.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions for the DIY ideas. But I want something that's easy to use and locks in place once I get the tilt I desire. I would like to use my Nikon lenses, but if I found something cheap that would let me use other lenses on my Nikon, that would be good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use your Nikon lenses on a 4/3 mirrorless body, then the Lensbaby is probably the most expensive way. There are generic no-name tilt adapters on eBay that are a third of the price.

If you want to use "other" lenses on your Nikon body, a tilt adapter for Pentacon 6 lenses is commonly available. I'm pretty sure there is a review of one of these with samples here on MFLenses... posted a year or so ago?

If you want to use Nikon lenses on your Nikon body, Hartblei, Arsat, and others make inexpensive tilt adapters with fixed tilt angles. Several different angles are available. Since these act as extension tubes, they are often marketed as macro tilt adapters.

... Or if you want to DIY on the cheap, you can build a bag bellows with a hinge and big easy wing nuts to lock it down. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to focus to infinity-don't want a "macro" tilt adapter. I found this on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130537616680?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Does anyone know if it will focus to inf on Nikon body? I asked seller 3 questions and that's the only one he did not answer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't see how it could. The device itself and an adapter P6 to Nikon means well over 5mm more like 20mm!

Might work on an EOS body? Or m4/3, of course.

Can you not just try, holding your lens in front of the camera? Just to see the result? Or are you going to take so many that hundreds of $$ is good outlay in a depression?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat. I did more research on the adapter and lens, and it seems that it will focus to infinity. So I bought it on Ebay. When it gets here, I'll find out, and post some tilt pics here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill!

Click here to see on Ebay

A lot cheaper? JinFinance has a long cooperative history with amateur users so Always look at his site?

How ya getting on?