Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Probably my best 135mm: S-M-C Takumar 135mm f/2.5 on 5D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Probably my best 135mm: S-M-C Takumar 135mm f/2.5 on 5D Reply with quote

I consider this my best 135mm lens. Of course, this is the 6 element 135mm f/2.5 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar, the last and best one. Sharper and faster than the cheaper f/3.5 version, yet it's still very contrasty. For instance #5 (the walking man) was shot into the sun (not directly though). Any single-coated lens would have problems in this situation, but the Takumar easily takes it... Smile

This lens is also available with K-mount (the SMC PENTAX 1:2.5 135mm) but I prefer the more universal M42 mount.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples with a great lens!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh , you can handle any lens well. I wasn't impressed about same lens much.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Please bear in mind that there was an older SMC Takumar 135mm f/2.5; the 5-element in 4 groups version. The later (and last) 6-element in 6 groups version can be distinguished by the product number engraved on the auto/manual switch: 43812. The 6-element version is definitely better.

BTW: in many lenses I use some contrast enhancement in PP (levels). This lens does not need or very little enhancement... So recommended for lazy shooters Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Attila wrote:

Please bear in mind that there was an older SMC Takumar 135mm f/2.5; the 5-element in 4 groups version. The later (and last) 6-element in 6 groups version can be distinguished by the product number engraved on the auto/manual switch: 43812. The 6-element version is definitely better.

BTW: in many lenses I use some contrast enhancement in PP (levels). This lens does not need or very little enhancement... So recommended for lazy shooters Wink

+1 my best 135 too! Very Happy although Pentacon Auto MC 2.8/135 does some things better imho Wink The 6-6 Takumar gives visibly better results than any other 135 I've tried, except in some cases the Pentacon is better imho... The Takumar has to be among the best 135s ever made, sharp from wide open, high contrast.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are really nice. Sharp and Love the colors.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always super IQ Peter. Perfect.

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Much appreciated. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

135mm is my favorite focal lenght Smile
Great job Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive shots... love them.

Have you ever tried the Tamron Adaptall-2 135mm f/1:2.5 03B?
I haven't used it for a long time but I recall a really good performance on the 30D.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Attila wrote:

Hello i found this lens on K (bayonet) mount and the description says
PENTAX TAKUMAR BAYONET (K) F2.5 135 mm 5543611 ASAHI OPT.CO

can you tell if this is the version with 6 elements ?If this lens is the 5 element version is it worth it? i found it for 100Euros.I plan to mount it on my 60d and i also wanted to know if it has mirror issues on ff bodies like 5dII.I need it for video purposes.Any info is appreciated thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the K mount version comes only in the later 6-6 design.

I have the older one, and I'm quite happy with it: i paid very little for it, and I liked it better than takumar 135/3.5 (whose bokeh I find distracting, sometimes).

Anyway, these shots look much better than anything I shot with mine - and I guess it's not just the lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I made a mistake about the versions:

The SMC Pentax 135/2.5 in K mount has the same 6/6 design as the lens we're talking about in this thread.

The Pentax Takumar bayonet is a cheaper, noted as worse lens, with different design - i never tried one, so this is second hand info.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great results and it's not just the lens, no sir!

For some reason I was never very eager to get this lens and they are common as hell but the prices don't seem to go down only otherwise.

Gotta start looking for a bargain... Cool