Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MFT to EF-M adapter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: MFT to EF-M adapter? Reply with quote

I hate asking these kinds of questions, but I can't seem to find the answer on Amazon, Google, or eBay.

According to Wikipedia, EF-M mount distance is 18mm and MFT is 19.25mm. So does anyone make a lensless adapter to use MFT lens on EF-M camera (EOS-M)?

Might be really neat if I could buy and use one of the Nokton f/0.95 lenses on a EOS-M, even if it vignettes a bit more. But APS-C isn't actually that much larger than MFT so it should not be that much difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that it's not worth the trouble for somebody to produce one....

Ok, the Nokton is manual focus, so it's practical, but for the bulk of the MFT lenses, it not worth it. MFT lenses are fly by wire, so you need electronic control to manually focus & change the aperture. If you can 't do that, then you can't use them, so adapter makers wouldn't see a market for them

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
I suspect that it's not worth the trouble for somebody to produce one....

Ok, the Nokton is manual focus, so it's practical, but for the bulk of the MFT lenses, it not worth it. MFT lenses are fly by wire, so you need electronic control to manually focus & change the aperture. If you can 't do that, then you can't use them, so adapter makers wouldn't see a market for them

I guess, but people make EF to MFT adapters, even electronically active ones that have buttons on the side and speak Canonese to the EF lens to control the aperture and such. Surely someone could make such an adapter and the EOS-M community gets access to all MFT lenses available. Hell, even if Canon made such adapters it would increase the appeal of their system dramatically from their pathetic 2 lenses to basically every lens available out there. People would buy into a body that is marketable as compatible with anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon already make an EF -> EOS-M electronic adapter, so you can use ANY Canon EF lens on an EOS-M without vignetting. Why would a design group use those design/manufacturing resources on MFT lens adapters when they don't even give you a full image circle on EOS-M?

I'd say that a design/manufacturing group would be more likely to design an electronic EOS-M adapter for Nikon lenses. Or perhaps a focus confirm EOS-M adapter for the old Canon FD lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
I'd say that a design/manufacturing group would be more likely to design an electronic EOS-M adapter for Nikon lenses. Or perhaps a focus confirm EOS-M adapter for the old Canon FD lenses.

FD -> EOS-M and Nikon -> EOS-M exist already, I have a Leica-M -> EOS-M adapter myself already, and I've seen they also make Contax -> EOS-M, M42 -> EOS-M, Contax G -> EOS-M, heck I've even seen Arri -> EOS-M. Considering they make all of this, how much more effort would it be to just toss another one into the pile? For the people who design these adapters it's probably literally some cut-and-paste AutoCAD work and send it off to some kind of automated CNC process.

Do you really not get full image circle though ... because EOS-M is really not that far off from MFT in sensor size. 22.3 x 14.9mm vs 18 mm × 13.5 mm, you'd probably get a little vignetting some the horizontal direction but vertically you'd probably be fine ... you could always crop shoot 4:3 on an EOS-M too, and I'm sure EOS-M2 will have higher-resolution sensor...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuxiekeji wrote:
dnas wrote:

FD -> EOS-M and Nikon -> EOS-M exist already, I have a Leica-M -> EOS-M adapter myself already, and I've seen they also make Contax -> EOS-M, M42 -> EOS-M, Contax G -> EOS-M, heck I've even seen Arri -> EOS-M. Considering they make all of this, how much more effort would it be to just toss another one into the pile? For the people who design these adapters it's probably literally some cut-and-paste AutoCAD work and send it off to some kind of automated CNC process.

Do you really not get full image circle though ... because EOS-M is really not that far off from MFT in sensor size. 22.3 x 14.9mm vs 18 mm × 13.5 mm, you'd probably get a little vignetting some the horizontal direction but vertically you'd probably be fine ... you could always crop shoot 4:3 on an EOS-M too, and I'm sure EOS-M2 will have higher-resolution sensor...

All of those adapters you mention are non electronic, except for the original Canon EF -> EOS-M adapter. You cannot change the aperture in Canon EF lenses, unless you have electronic control, but you have ability to manually focus if necessary.

With MFT lenses, you cannot change the aperture & AF, and you cannot manually focus, unless you have electronic control. The MFT manual focus is electronic fly by wire, so if there is no power, you cannot focus manually. This means that the adapter would need to read the Canon EF electronic protocol and translate it to MFT protocol, to then control aperture and AF, along with supplying power for MF.

It's too difficult for cheap adapter manufacturers to design.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:

All of those adapters you mention are non electronic, except for the original Canon EF -> EOS-M adapter. You cannot change the aperture in Canon EF lenses, unless you have electronic control, but you have ability to manually focus if necessary.

Although I did get a NON-electronic EF -> EOS-M adapter for dirt cheap so I can use my Leitaxed Contax Zeiss collection if I ever want to ... (don't have any electronic lenses ... I'm 100% MF)... considering they do make such an adapter in the midst of the EF ecosystem ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An electronic EF->EOS-M is not so difficult for these adapter manufacturers to design, because they only need to translate the EF pins to EOS-M pins, as it's the same protocol. EF-> MFT is an entirely different proposition (I've tried to work this out myself, and there's no freely available data for MFT pin config & protocol. (so it has to be reverse engineered)
(the EF pin config is available, however)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. So what makes the Canon adapter so expensive? It's practically more expensive than the camera itself!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuxiekeji wrote:
Interesting. So what makes the Canon adapter so expensive? It's practically more expensive than the camera itself!

Because they can!! If you have EF lenses and you want to use them, then Canon probably figure you'd pay a lot to be able to use them, so they charge a premium price for it.

You can buy a 3rd party "electronic" adapter that does the same thing as the Canon one does, for 1/3 or 1/4 the price.