Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is the best DSLR - 1080p, best price?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: What is the best DSLR - 1080p, best price? Reply with quote

I do not have much knowledge on this field, mostly in the various models available today.
Seeking advice for a DSLR for video, just to mount different optics, having at least 1080p and not 1080i.
Some says 1440x1080? differences? which then can be seen in full-hd?

The sensor size, I'll prefer small ones, because I've lenses with small registration distances
Like 4/3 or others....

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the Canon EOS 500D is a very fine dlsr shooting very good videos (full HD 1080p).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Olivier,
I'm considering it, at the moment vs Panasonic GH1 Wink

I need now to understand the differences between 24 - 25 - 30 fps (I'm only sure I need progressive fps) Smile

Arrow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zupremous wrote:
Thanks Olivier,
I'm considering it, at the moment vs Panasonic GH1 Wink

I need now to understand the differences between 24 - 25 - 30 fps (I'm only sure I need progressive fps) Smile

Arrow

I think it depends on different reading standards.
I read that 30 i/s is for NTSC. 24 and 25 is for PAL.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24 is for Ntsc, 25 is for pal. 30 does not really exist in progressive, i mean it is not standart.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapest full featured is Canon T2i/500D.

Films are shot at 24p, commercials/TV 30p (29.97) or 25p for European broadcast, 60p should be used only for slow motion work.

Panasonics crop to much. Your looking at a 2x crop and much smaller native lenses choice. But you state you already have these lenses so maybe that is an option.

Nikon's 1080p is stuck at 24p so they only work for shooting film work.

Canon, which as much as pains me to say it, really have the market cornered when it comes to video.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Geoff and Cliff

The problem with Canon and Nikon it's the registration distance... I've lenses for Arri mount, C mount etc...
But if removing the mirror and removing some material from those cameras it's not a problem, it's a good chance ...obviously need live view.

I found a funny "camera", anybody knows something about?
Seems really good, some low contrast on the video samples.
http://www.sumix.com/products/cameras/smx-12a2c.html

Arrow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zupremous wrote:

I found a funny "camera", anybody knows something about?
Seems really good, some low contrast on the video samples.

i'm definitely interested in this camera you're talking about.

Other than that, i've also heard great things about Canon's DSLRs (T2i, 60D, 7D, 5Dii).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a friend who is doing video for a living (or trying at least...) and he's really happy with his GH1. It's definitely meant for it. And now that the GH2 is out, prices have dropped.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearsNcogs wrote:
Zupremous wrote:

i'm definitely interested in this camera you're talking about.

Other than that, i've also heard great things about Canon's DSLRs (T2i, 60D, 7D, 5Dii).

I just saw samples about these good Canons video quality, really nice, the new 60D performs really good... the problem it's the mirror, I will need to do something like this Smile
http://www.fdtimes.com/news/arri/canon-7d-fgv-pl-test/

ylyad wrote:
I've a friend who is doing video for a living (or trying at least...) and he's really happy with his GH1. It's definitely meant for it. And now that the GH2 is out, prices have dropped.

Now my judgement it's for this GH1, really nice quality and save lot of money, I think I'll give it a try, it's really nice, incredible if hacked to GH13... in bit quality dvx forum says can beat the 5d etc...
nice nice

Just still searching about the Sumix cameras, like the options programs where you can adjust anything.... and choose settings, wish like fps, bit etc.. all what we need Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wait awhile to purchase and rent for now. 5D mark II is your best bet - Full frame and all the goodies.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon 5D Mark II is the best of the bunch for price, quality and full frame. Great variety of Canon lenses and also Nikkor/Pentax/Canon/Zeiss etc; with an adapter. Plenty of options, including 25P for Pal.

The Canon 7D is the best of the Canon crop factor bodies, or the 550D if you're on a tight budget.

The Nikon D3s is the best Nikon full-frame, or the D300s and D7000 for cheaper crop frame bodies. Although they have no 25P for us in Pal land.

The Pentax K5 is a superb camera for both stills & video, and the K7 is also very good.

The fact that some of these cameras only offer 720P shouldn't put you off, because 720P is TV broadcast HD quality, and more than enough rez for most people, even professionals.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kawasakiguy37 & GLOBETROTTER Smile

At the end I found....... and I suggest this
.....I found for lend an hacked Pana GH1, this camera is amazing if hacked!!!
1080P with 24, 25, 30fps
720P same.........
4:2:2 subsampling available (fast SD cards)
and incredible custom bitrate stable at 44mbit and under testing up to 100mbit...
3 inch tilt LCD screen (Electronic Viewfinder and no mirror)
Very Good in low light, mud etc...
A 4/3 sensor, can attach/adapt any lens made for 35mm... (I don't care to much to the 1.9x crop factor) ....c-mount lenses equivalent to 15mm are no bad.

And still under hacking Arrow Smile Smile Smile

I think it's the best camera out there.... really best price off all, about 500 € the body.
Perfect for the lenses I have, some Zeiss for 16mm and C-Mount Cine Lenses (Schneider.....)

I think, for Canon 5DII, I can't spend 3 times as much, for a FF and nothing more than the GH1 (it can be better for low light, I will only check it by personal test for this doubt, later I will try a 5DII to test).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "hacked" ? Question

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just google
Panasonic GH13 (the 3 is added to the name because kept from Mr. "Tester 13")

Or type "GH1 Hack"
It's full of tests posted on Vimeo.
like this:
http://vimeo.com/groups/gh1/videos/12606679

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
I found multi threads about it in french. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the hacked GH1 is much sharper than any of the Canons.

Saw a comparison video but have lost the link.

This is the best I could come up with
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1BMugSQl1I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Take a look at eoshd.com, run by a British filmmaker Andrew Reid. He's a Canon fan who's now a GH2 believer. It isn't just about full-frame sensors.

Canons suffer from moire (do a youtube search for "canon moire")

Canons also have a tendency to overheat when shooting video for prolonged periods.

IIRC the Canons are also limited to about 12 minutes max shooting time.

Vitaly, the same guy who hacked the GH1 is working hard on the GH2. That will be a great day if/when it happens.

Drew