Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Playing around with focus stacking...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Playing around with focus stacking... Reply with quote

Dull and raining again yesterday, so I thought I would have a play with focus stacking. I downloaded CombineZP, managed to force my Soligor 135/2.8 T-mount into an M42 bellows and set to work.

I must admit I was amazed at the results. 19 shots from this...

to this...

resulted in this Smile

One awesome piece of software !!!!

Apologies for the boring subject Sad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! I used stacking a lot for macro shots. When shot handheld it is really complicated though

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducdao wrote:
Well done! I used stacking a lot for macro shots. When shot handheld it is really complicated though

I would NOT like to try this hand-held Smile

I am certainly going to look for some more interesting subjects though.

Given that I have an M42 bellows, any opinions on the best lens to use for this sort of work?

As stated above, this was with an old soligor 135mm.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
ducdao wrote:

I would NOT like to try this hand-held Smile

I am certainly going to look for some more interesting subjects though.

Given that I have an M42 bellows, any opinions on the best lens to use for this sort of work?

As stated above, this was with an old soligor 135mm.

I think any lens with close focus capabilities would do such as the Carl Zeiss 35/2.4 of the Vivitar 28 CF.

My macro shots are done mostly handheld on my Pentax K10D with a reverse ring, extension tube and M50/f1.7

You should have a look at this thread http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/133851-macro-setup-comparisons.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY int4eresting thread. Thanks for posting it. Seems like the 135 soligor plus a reversed 50mm might well be worth playing with Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it certainly does magnify. Apologies to all, since this thread really ought to be in the Cafe.

All shots full frame 5D resized to 320x240

50mm on bellows the right way round and fully racked out...

135mm on bellows the right way round and fully racked out...

135mm on bellows the right way round with the 50mm reversed on the end and racked fully IN...

135mm on bellows the right way round with the 50mm reversed on the end and racked fully OUT...

Now all I need to do is get a more interesting subject Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, impressive results! As for subjects, just poke into any trash pile and you're sure to find something! Wink Or find some thrift-shop junk jewelry or assorted bric-a-brac.

martyn_bannister wrote:

The problem with reversing any camera lens is the very close working distance, equal to the lens register. For bellows work, I prefer cheap enlarger lenses (EL's), with edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness. EL's longer than 80mm can reach infinity focus on my M42 and PK bellows and so are good for non-macro as well as macro work. With any non-reversed lens, close-focus and greatest magnification are the same distance as the focal length, so longer EL's give you more working room.

EL's of 70mm and 100mm sometimes cost four for a dime, they are so common. Except EL-Nikkors and Rodenstocks and some other premium items, of course. But a batch of EL's in 70-90-105-140-162mm can be acquired for almost nothing. And they are usually so small! Longer EL's may require extension macro tubes as well as bellows.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent ! Thank you for remind us to a proper macro shooting method!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
Yes, impressive results! As for subjects, just poke into any trash pile and you're sure to find something! Wink Or find some thrift-shop junk jewelry or assorted bric-a-brac.

martyn_bannister wrote:

The problem with reversing any camera lens is the very close working distance, equal to the lens register. For bellows work, I prefer cheap enlarger lenses (EL's), with edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness. EL's longer than 80mm can reach infinity focus on my M42 and PK bellows and so are good for non-macro as well as macro work. With any non-reversed lens, close-focus and greatest magnification are the same distance as the focal length, so longer EL's give you more working room.

EL's of 70mm and 100mm sometimes cost four for a dime, they are so common. Except EL-Nikkors and Rodenstocks and some other premium items, of course. But a batch of EL's in 70-90-105-140-162mm can be acquired for almost nothing. And they are usually so small! Longer EL's may require extension macro tubes as well as bellows.

I have a couple of WRAY enlarger lenses hanging around somewhere. An incentive to give them a try. Many thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results. I wonder how CombineZP compares with Helicon Focus Lite? I used that for a few focus stacks some while back, before the 1-year license expired.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyn: Is the Cyclop not begging for a try?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Martyn: Is the Cyclop not begging for a try?

Now there's a thought Smile

DOF on that is b*gg*r all BEFORE it's mounted on a bellows Smile