Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron/Vivitar 105mm macro....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooper wrote:
recieved email today that the 90mm 2.8 has been sold to someone else! Sad

suppose i'll keep looking...(I want Nikon mount btw!)

Buy a Nikon macro lens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Hooper wrote:
suppose i'll keep looking...(I want Nikon mount btw!)

Buy a Nikon macro lens.

Or buy a bellows and an enlarger lens (EL). My M42 Bellowscope with a Steinheil Culminar VL 105/4.5 mounted cost US$41 (shipped) about 3 months ago. My Novoflex Noflexar 105/2.5 cost all of US$27, my most expensive EL except for the amazing Schneider Betavaron 50-125/4-5.6 enlarger zoom (US$70 shipped, discounted from US$3500).

Most EL's longer than 80mm can reach infinity focus on my M42 and PK bellows and so can be used for non-macro work too. Some of my favorite longer lenses are tubes+bellows-mounted: Ilex Optical Solar Anastigmat 140/4.5 (US$7 shipped), Wollensack Enlarging Raptar 162/4.5 (also US$7), Kodak Projection Anastigmat 190/4.5 (US$12.50 last month).

And for a groovy wide-open experience, projection lenses (PL's) without apertures are CHEAP, and fun on extension. Some have their own rough focusing mounts and can be use without a bellows, although a tube may help. Others have long plastic bodies that are easily cut-down -- then glue on a cheap macro tube section as a mount adapter.

EL's are sharp at any aperture. PL's are dreamy at any distance, I love them!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox : I have that lens on FD mount. I am using it with adaptor but I can only use it with full open aperture. Is it easy to fix that myself or does it need expert job?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sound of the enlarger lenses...this will be something i'll have a play with in the future!,

although for now i'll settle for the Vivitar 100mm f2.8 (tokina, #37xx) i've just got for a decent price Smile and will post some images when i get the chance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Vivitar (Komine) and Tamron 90mms. I would say that the Tamron is sharper wide open, but the Viv is very different and I slightly prefer it. It also goes to 1:1.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: vivatar105 ƒ2.5 Reply with quote

I have locked in a deal locally on one of these. research indicates it was a kiron: only the 2.5 @105mm; the serial beginning with #22...

it is in a AI mount. would someone please be so kind to tell me which adapter is the best version to use to mount to EOS?

the bay has a confusing array of nikon adaptors. what the heck am I looking for here? do I need one with Pin lock ? ? ?

I was selling all my nikon f and AI lenses because of this confusion before I scored this what is regarded legendary macro and I cant wait.
I still have the AI vivatar 80-210 and 135 2.8 versions- nobody picked them off, lucky me I will be adding them to my arsenal and I cant wait to see the results, they are also AI.

but I need to know what im looking for! Smile thanks in advance! much respect, Scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

I also own one of these lenses. Mine is a Vivitar Series 1, S/N begins with 22 and it's also a 105mm f/2.5. Sounds to me as if you're describing a Vivitar, since from what I've read this same lens as a Kiron or Dine is listed as a 105mm f/2.8 and not a f/2.5. And also the S/N you mention.

As for an adapter, when I bought my Nikon F to EOS adapter, I just did an eeny-meeny-miney-mo of sorts, but the adapter I wound up with has been a good one. No chip, just the bare metal adapter. Looks exactly like this one:

Click here to see on Ebay

I am not necessarily recommending this seller, all I am stating is that they appear to be selling an adapter identical to mine. Once you get it, if you find that some of your Nikon mount lenses fit sort of loose, if you look closely at the bayonet lugs you'll see that they are split. You can reach a fine-bladed screwdriver into these split areas and spread them apart slightly. This will tighten up the fit of the lens for you.

Too bad you were selling off all your Nikon glass. Nikon lenses work really well on EOS DSLRs. Let us know how things work out for you.