Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron/Vivitar 105mm macro....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Kiron/Vivitar 105mm macro.... Reply with quote

...having a look around for one of these to replace the Tamron SP 90mm I stupidly sold a few years ago. What would you say is a decent price for one at the moment?

Theres one on ebay:
Click here to see on Ebay

,but he's in dreamland if he thinks he'l get that isn't he?

also, how does the Nikon 105mm compare?

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Tamron SP 90, Nikon 105 f4 macro and Nikon 105 f2.5 AIS

I still have Kiron 105mm all are excellent lenses. If we don't look macro capability my top one is Nikon 105mm f2.5 AIS.

This seller try to sell his lens 3-4x more than common price level.
I think from above lens list any lens is good if you have it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid 122USD usd this last fall having lost several other auctions. Mine is FD mount so worth less: 300USD absoulute max

THey come up all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
I paid 122USD usd this last fall having lost several other auctions. Mine is FD mount so worth less: 300USD absoulute max

THey come up all the time.

Isold mine for less than the 300 dollars and the 300 USD would be the max for one in the original box and never used.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I paid mine 160 euros, in mint conditions, without the box but with the original caps (P/KA mount) ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we have two of them on sale.

http://www.mflenses.com/mfl-ebay/Kiron-105-2.8-Macro-5.html
http://www.mflenses.com/mfl-ebay/Kiron-105mm-f2.5-macro-M42-converted.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Here we have two of them on sale.

http://www.mflenses.com/mfl-ebay/Kiron-105-2.8-Macro-5.html
http://www.mflenses.com/mfl-ebay/Kiron-105mm-f2.5-macro-M42-converted.html

thanks....you have got me thinking about the nikon 105mm f4 too now though!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/nikon_nikkor/micro_nikor_105mm_f2_8_ais/?

I did mix it I had 2.8 AIS , but I guess they are same.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing on conversion Kiron 105 and I used to have Comtax/Yashica version - I sold it..

The Canon FD is the best balanced version in optical quality ..

The lens I am converting now (Canon FD version version) is going to be FOR SALE and it's going to have Canon EF mount -- I have resolved the aperture mechanism - which is quite difficult ...

If any interest - (approx. in two weeks time) - let me know -- I can speed up the process.. Smile

tf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vivitar version of the 105 macro that I bought about a year ago. I found it in a local camera shop along with a ring light flash. Went home and researched prices for both the lens and the flash, then hurriedly scrounged up the money to buy it.

I was in heaven. I owned one of the legendary Kiron 105mm Macros! And since I owned a couple other good macros, I thought, hey, why not do a "shoot out?" See how they perform against each other? So that's what I did. But just to make things interesting, I threw a zoom lens into the mix too, one that has a decent macro mode.

I was rather surprised at the results. I wrote an article on the subject and it's posted at my blog. You can find it here (be sure to click on the images twice to view them full size):

http://michaelmcbroom.com/blogistan/?p=56

My conclusion was that the Tamron 90/2.5 was both sharper and better corrected for color than the Kiron. Yes, it only does 1:2, but that can be corrected easily enough with extension tubes or the Tamron 2x. Plus it usually sells for substantially less than the Kiron. And an even bigger plus -- because it's an adaptall-2 lens, it can be used with a variety of cameras.

So here it is, about a year's gone by or so since I bought the Vivitar 105 macro, and I find that I only occasionally use it. But I always keep the Tamron close by. It's my first choice for general macro work.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

My conclusion was that the Tamron 90/2.5 was both sharper and better corrected for color than the Kiron.

I've seen somewhere reviews from an article of that era that compared the Tamron, the Vivitar and other macro lenses - a Nikon I think, and maybe a Tokina. The Tamron was much better rated than the Vivitar - I remember the Vivitar was falling towards the bottom of the bunch.

Interesting how lenses gain cult status. What surprised me about the Vivitar was that it exhibited a pretty fair amount of PF. It's also fairly heavy to handhold.

@Hooper: I know it's not a MF lens, but have you considered a Sigma 105? A used copy may be available for a price similar to the Vivitar and manual focusing is very decent.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar has different variants not all made by Kiron. Perhaps this is reason why you did read Vivitar didn't perform same well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm selling one of the Kiron lenses linked earlier.
It's already been sold, just awaiting payment.

I'm also selling this Vivitar version here:
http://www.mflenses.com/mfl-ebay/Vivitar-100-2.8-Macro-5.html
That lens is still available.

It's the same lens, just branded differently.
It's completly identical otherwise.

I think it's very good lenses, selling them because I have more than 10 macro lenses and some has to go because I need the money. Razz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Vivitar has different variants not all made by Kiron. Perhaps this is reason why you did read Vivitar didn't perform same well.

AFAIK, the Series 1 105 macro was made by Kiron only - I never heard of a non-Kiron version.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I recall also, but I could be mistaken. There was a 90mm Vivitar macro -- made by Tokina, and essentially the same lens as the legendary "Bokina" 90mm. Different coatings formulations between the two lenses, as I recall.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
Attila wrote:

AFAIK, the Series 1 105 macro was made by Kiron only - I never heard of a non-Kiron version.

+1 ... Whether labelled Vivitar, Kiron or Lester A. Dine, it should be the same lens by the same manufacturer ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I have a Vivitar version of the 105 macro that I bought about a year ago. I found it in a local camera shop along with a ring light flash. Went home and researched prices for both the lens and the flash, then hurriedly scrounged up the money to buy it.

I was in heaven. I owned one of the legendary Kiron 105mm Macros! And since I owned a couple other good macros, I thought, hey, why not do a "shoot out?" See how they perform against each other? So that's what I did. But just to make things interesting, I threw a zoom lens into the mix too, one that has a decent macro mode.

I was rather surprised at the results. I wrote an article on the subject and it's posted at my blog. You can find it here (be sure to click on the images twice to view them full size):

http://michaelmcbroom.com/blogistan/?p=56

My conclusion was that the Tamron 90/2.5 was both sharper and better corrected for color than the Kiron. Yes, it only does 1:2, but that can be corrected easily enough with extension tubes or the Tamron 2x. Plus it usually sells for substantially less than the Kiron. And an even bigger plus -- because it's an adaptall-2 lens, it can be used with a variety of cameras.

So here it is, about a year's gone by or so since I bought the Vivitar 105 macro, and I find that I only occasionally use it. But I always keep the Tamron close by. It's my first choice for general macro work.

thanks for that post, very insightful...although it makes me even more miffed that I sold my SP 90mm!

about 2 weeks ago I got my hands on a Tamron SP 35-80mm (01A), and wow, it's sharp! i'm also collecting an SP x2 teleconvertor on Monday, so it will be interesting to see how it fairs at 1:1.25!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
Attila wrote:

+1 ... Whether labelled Vivitar, Kiron or Lester A. Dine, it should be the same lens by the same manufacturer ...

I thought Vivitar marketed many lenses around 100mm.
90mm, 100mm etc not just Kiron made Series 1 easy to mix them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

I thought Vivitar marketed many lenses around 100mm.
90mm, 100mm etc not just Kiron made Series 1 easy to mix them.

Some Series 1 lenses were produced by several manufacturers. Like the many variations of the 70-210. But not this 105 macro. Vivitar probably produced a bunch of other 100/105mm lenses and maybe some were macros too (there is a plastic fantastic Cosina made 100 macro that can be found for less than $100), but they were not Series 1.

As a side note, the Vivitar Series 1 90mm (first wave of Series 1 vs second wave for the 105) is supposed to be very good too, but I find conflicting reports. A blog says it's much better than the 105, while a review referenced on wikipedia claims the 105 is better. Go figure. This is a pretty rare lens too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not all that up on the Vivitar 90s, but the really good S1 90 that folks talk about is the one made by Tokina (SN 37....), the S1 90mm f/2.5. This is the same lens as the legendary "Bokina" -- the Tokina branded 90 macro. Although, from what I've read, the Bokina is slightly different -- its coating is allegedly better than that found on the Vivitar S1 -- IIRC.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I know its not one that has yet been talked about but I managed to get my hands on a new condition (never used), boxed Vivitar 90mm f2.8 Macro for a good price.

It's not the Series 1 "Bokina" variant (can't find a single one for sale in the UK), but the serial begins with 28XX, indicating it is a Komine made lens and sample images from it look more than favorable!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hooper -- I doubt there are any "bad" VIvitar macros. I'll wager your 90/2.8 takes excellent photos. And please post some examples when you get the chance.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I'm not all that up on the Vivitar 90s, but the really good S1 90 that folks talk about is the one made by Tokina (SN 37....), the S1 90mm f/2.5. This is the same lens as the legendary "Bokina" -- the Tokina branded 90 macro. Although, from what I've read, the Bokina is slightly different -- its coating is allegedly better than that found on the Vivitar S1 -- IIRC.

Yes, that's the one. Again, AFAIK, there is only one type of VS1 90mm macro - the Tokina made one.

Re: the Tokina being better than the VS1, I heard some people say the same about the Kiron 105 vs the VS1 variant.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finishing conversion of KIRON (canon FD mount) 105 f2.8

I am tuning infinity and I am nearly there !! (just a couple of tens of mils)

The lens is very good on 5DMkII ...

definitely NOT APO but quite well balanced.. Wink

all shots wide open -- maybe a little comma worth of complaint ..

tf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recieved email today that the 90mm 2.8 has been sold to someone else! Sad

suppose i'll keep looking...(I want Nikon mount btw!)