Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-9 samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-9 samples Reply with quote

Shot a few flowers today with my latest toy, a Jupiter-9.
I think one is cropped and another taken with an added Pentax close-up filter.
Pleased with the sharpness, I'm also pleased with the new CA control in Lightroom 4.1

#1

#2

#3

#4

#5
Wink


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures!


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 is great!


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, very nice colors!
I think I see another lens coming for eos Wink


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 for me


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Very Happy
It was a dull day so I needed to bump the ISO, consequently I had to use a little noise reduction in Lightroom.
CA is evident in most shots, but I am a pixel-peeper sometimes. Rolling Eyes
Very happy with the colours. Very Happy

One of these days I will have to get myself a KatzEye. Confused


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series, beautiful series
CA is not a problem with my Jupiter, I got some purple fringing in extreme condition but less than other fast lenses


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lovely colourful pictures with your new lens, congrats Smile ...


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1


patrickh


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another +1!


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mi vote for #2 and #4.
You have really gotten good results from your J9!.

Jes.


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples. Looks sharper than the lens is known for too. Lovely colors and very good composition regarding backgrounds which is the hardest think to get get in my opinion.

CA is 90% removed with simple steps:

1 - Copy your original layer;
2 - On the copy layer, apply a 15px Gaussian Blur effect;
3 - Change the copy layer "Blending Mode" to "Color";

Done! The most aggressive CA is removed with those 3 simple steps. Be on the look out for washed out colors when you do it because this technique causes that sometimes, If it does just use the eraser tool set to a soft edge pattern with a generous size, and erase the copied layer on those specific spots. Done!


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots, i liked #5 alot.


PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number 3 is my favorite. I need to get my Jupiter lens out and bond with it.


PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice colour !

Laughing


PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning details and colours, particularly the red flowers. Surprised


PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
Nice samples. Looks sharper than the lens is known for too. Lovely colors and very good composition regarding backgrounds which is the hardest think to get get in my opinion.

CA is 90% removed with simple steps:

1 - Copy your original layer;
2 - On the copy layer, apply a 15px Gaussian Blur effect;
3 - Change the copy layer "Blending Mode" to "Color";

Done! The most aggressive CA is removed with those 3 simple steps. Be on the look out for washed out colors when you do it because this technique causes that sometimes, If it does just use the eraser tool set to a soft edge pattern with a generous size, and erase the copied layer on those specific spots. Done!

Thanks for the tips but Lightroom has really nailed it now with the latest update, it's so easy to move a few sliders and job done. Cool


PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone for your comments, much appreciated as always. Very Happy

The Jupiter-9 is a joy to use and the mechanics are incredibly smooth. I have some portrait sessions coming up (if summer ever arrives) and the Jupiter will get it's share of the action. The dreamy softness wide open will go down well with my older subjects. Wink


PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerris2 wrote:
Number 3 is my favorite. I need to get my Jupiter lens out and bond with it.

Old lenses need to be bonded with. I like how you put it.


PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an awesome lens Shocked .

I'm really impressed by the performances of these russian lenses.

It's a pity that some of them are sooo expensive Crying or Very sad


PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"expensive" is subjective, true, but most of the russian lenses i own/used have very good price/performance ratio.
And the J9, even if paid more Than SonicScot's one, makes no exception.

Try and get a similar lens (a fast portrait lens with very distinctive character) made from German or Japanese makers, and you'll probably end up spending much more.


PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roby02091987 wrote:

I'm really impressed by the performances of these russian lenses.
It's a pity that some of them are sooo expensive Crying or Very sad


Well, if you think that russian lenses are expensive, I would like to know what your standard lenses are.


PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
nice series, beautiful series
CA is not a problem with my Jupiter, I got some purple fringing in extreme condition but less than other fast lenses


+1 on both the comment on the series and on that on CA.

There may be some LoCA wide open, but not anything I would worry correcting.

I just uploaded a few shots from my copy, all at f/4:



http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/7377764892


http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/7377765030


http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/7377764964


PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a great Russian portrait lens! I like it! I had three versions of this lens. In my opinion, the best - silver m39 mount (ЛЗОС)

Several dozen photographs from the lens Jupiter-9


PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received mine today (from smoli04) and I've played 15 min with it.
Here a some few samples all wide open (with a little PP)