Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ROW Ciomascop question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: ROW Ciomascop question Reply with quote

I found on ebay this ROW Ciomascop advertised as a projection lens:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201045922331?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

As the seller advertised it as a 64 f/1.2 projection lens I made an offer to him and he accepted.
I asked him again if this is a projection lens and not a tele-converter attachment and again he responded that is a projection lens but the lens name intrigues me : ROW Ciomascop 64/1.2x-exc.
Does anybody know this lens and can confirm that this is not a tele-converter attachment? What do you think it is?
Any information would be very useful.
I have promised the seller to pay him tomorrow but if it is a tele-converter I'll cancel my offer.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks to be an anamorphic lens with 1.2x stretch to convert 3:2 into 16:9 approx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a member carlzeissjena he is retired Zeiss enginer, try to reach him throw pm

http://forum.mflenses.com/visionar-109mm-f1-6-cine-projector-lens-on-nex-t51470,highlight,+visionar,start,15.html

Code:
Hi there

the Visionar was developed by Carl Zeiss Jena in the sixties as a 6 lens/element Gauss type for 35mm Film/cinema projection (exactly 18,1 x 23,2 mm) and thus will nearly fill the Nex´s sensor. It was a series of powerful lenses, mostly manufactured at Carl Zeiss Jena or at Rathenower Optische Werke ROW up to the very impressive 1,9/200 which has a 4.1" front element.
The resolution of those lenses (fully open, no aperture) reached 10µm from center to 10mm off and then declines to 20 µm at 15 mm (circle of 30 mm) and is therefor suitable for a lot of CCD or CMOS sensors with similar pixel size ( or via binning) in astronomy.
This was published by Carl Zeiss Jena in the anual Yearbook 1960 part 1 on page53ff.

Obviously it also renders a beautiful bokeeh with other objects.

Attila, one question, how did you manage to "link" the lens, which has no focuser, to the NEX body ?

Cheers
Georg

Divisional Director at Carl Zeiss Vision, retired.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
This looks to be an anamorphic lens with 1.2x stretch to convert 3:2 into 16:9 approx

or an add-on telephoto converter which makes the projected image 1/1.2 times of its original size.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a booklet about 200 years Rathenow and that lens is mentioned as an
anamorphotic add on to the Visionar projection lenses.

Be careful with that seller, he supposedly sent me a lens, that I never got, but refunded me then after many weeks.

Dan, if you don't take it, I may be interested...

Last edited by kds315* on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
we have a member carlzeissjena he is retired Zeiss enginer, try to reach him throw pm

Good point Atilla! Many thanks for this suggestion!
I've sent a PM to Mr. Georg and I'm waiting for his response.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus!
That sounds very interesting but a little out of my scope.
I might let you have it, but how to proceed? Simply to cancel my order or to get it and send it to you after that?
My offer was 75$ + shipping(22$).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thinking again about and and that huge weight, I guess I'd rather pass...

Thanks anyway!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: 1,2 x, what is it Reply with quote

Dear Dan,

sorry for the late reply, see that the auction has ended by now.

I agree with the comments made before, this is most probably not a projector lens with f stop 1:1,2 but an anamorphot
with factor 1,2 x (times, hence the x).

The pictures are also taken at such an unfortunate angle that we can not see straight through the optics, along the optical path,
to judge if the aperture is elongated in one way to an oval with a low ratio of 1,2 which would be proof to be an anamorphot.

Best regards from Munich

Georg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Mr. Georg!

I've just asked the seller to cancel my offer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1,2 x, what is it Reply with quote

carlzeissjena wrote:
Dear Dan,

sorry for the late reply, see that the auction has ended by now.

I agree with the comments made before, this is most probably not a projector lens with f stop 1:1,2 but an anamorphot
with factor 1,2 x (times, hence the x).

The pictures are also taken at such an unfortunate angle that we can not see straight through the optics, along the optical path,
to judge if the aperture is elongated in one way to an oval with a low ratio of 1,2 which would be proof to be an anamorphot.

Best regards from Munich

Georg

Many thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see we are in agreement Georg Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again to all of you! You just saved me 100 Euro!