Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

83mm Takumar on FF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: 83mm Takumar on FF Reply with quote

Not entirely noisefree (ISO 1000 indoors on the 5D), but it's great to use this 55 year old lens on the format it was intended for! I still think it's a better lens than all later 85mm Takumars.

Last edited by Spotmatic on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 83mm Takumar on FF Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Not entirely noisefree (ISO 1000 indoors on the 5D), but it's great to use this lens on the format it was intended for!

That's the point!

Very nice shots of a pretty young lady!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter. .

It's a different point of view, isn't? Wink

Great pictures as always and LightRoom really helps with reducing noise..

but it's not necessary anyway ..

tf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos.
But with almost any cheap short-tele lens You'll got the same results.

semso

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

semso wrote:
Nice photos.
But with almost any cheap short-tele lens You'll got the same results.

Now that I see them on my work monitor the noise is less than desirable. Maybe I will use my new 5D as a low-ISO monster Wink

BTW, I find that the 83mm f/1.9 Takumar, wide open, outclasses many longer tele lenses with regards to sharpness, most especially the cheap ones.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

If You are "Portret lens lower" You must to know that
SHARPNESS really doesn't matter,
if You will sharpness try SMC or Super Takumar 135mm 3.5

83mm Takumar is rare (only few examles are known to exist)
and has only collectable value

semso (my best lens is my HEAD)

Last edited by semso on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 83mm Takumar has only value as a collectible lens? I hope you really wanted to write something else because nothing could be further from the truth.

And of course, even I know that sharpness isn't everything. But it all depends on your subject; young people with spotless skins can withstand sharp lenses. But also very old, weathered faces can give interesting results with strong lighting. In all other cases, if I want a less sharp result I have plenty of other lenses to choose from (the softest being the Komura 80mm f/1.8 which, wide open, is very dreamy).

Having said that: the more I look at my portraits in this topic the more I dislike the noise Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot.

Noise, where is the noise? Are you referring to the hand in photo #1? Other than that, the noise isn't bad at all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Nice shot.

Noise, where is the noise? Are you referring to the hand in photo #1? Other than that, the noise isn't bad at all.

Thanks! Very Happy

But believe me: as a Pentax K-5 user (APS-C) I get used to virtually noisefree ISO 1600-3200 shots Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that the 5D is a 6 years old technology. A lifetime in digital camera development terms.
The difference in high ISO noise performance is evident also in comparison with the 5D Mark II which has nearly double the density of pixels and is a 3 years old technology itself.
_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I should lower my expectations a bit. But I'm sure that the low-ISO performance of the 5D will be great. Any lenses I *should* use on the 5D, no matter what?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Indeed, I should lower my expectations a bit. But I'm sure that the low-ISO performance of the 5D will be great. Any lenses I *should* use on the 5D, no matter what?

Trying all your lenses will be the great fun. Smile I remember when I switched from the 400D to the 5D, I spent a couple of months only trying the lenses that I already had in the full format. Probably the most exciting time I ever had with digital cameras Smile Also a great remedy to stop buying further lenses from ebay Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

Trying all your lenses will be the great fun. Smile I remember when I switched from the 400D to the 5D, I spent a couple of months only trying the lenses that I already had in the full format. Probably the most exciting time I ever had with digital cameras Smile Also a great remedy to stop buying further lenses from ebay Wink

Funny, that's exactly how I'm feeling now. I don't need more lenses, but I need to try them all on FF! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great portrait Peter! and great lens Very Happy ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Peter, as always! A great lens indeed.
That noise is an issue, but the only way to vercome
that would indeed be a more modern DSLR, as the
recent gains in noise suppression has been huge!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
"The 83mm Takumar has only value as a collectible lens? I hope you really wanted to write something else because nothing could be further from the truth."

I actually didn't mind only colectable,
But all $$$ above the price for:
Trioplan
CZ Sonnar
Tele-Xenar
Pentacon
Jupiter 9
SMC Takumar 135
Canon 100
Zuiko 100
Primotar
Triotar
and so on

is collectable price,

Well, all above ~25 euros is paid for rarity,

Ir semso

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb portrait!
Sony sensors have hardware noise reducer that cannot be disabled
Canon sensors don't use those tricks
you can use software noise reducer for same or better results

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cute portraits !
Light is a bit better in #2 but both are very joyful to watch.
... and who gives a damn about that little grain Wink

Cheers
Tobias