Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chinon (& Rollei) lenses for Alpa
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Chinon (& Rollei) lenses for Alpa Reply with quote

I tried in vain to post snaps of some Chinon -Alpa lenses on "The camera collector" website, but did not succeed in finding the button for upoloading. Hence pictures here. One will note that they have M42 mounts. Some had the Alpa snap-on filter mounts and lids, others have ordinary threads. For comparison I have also included the Rollei-Singapore-made 35mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting brochure. Thanks for posting it, and the lenses.

I post images on "The Camera Collector" regularly. They do not host images on the forum site. My images are uploaded to a third party site (PhotoBucket) and linked to the forum thread. I do the same here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a few of the lenses were optically re-labeled BBAR Tamrons. I've specifically had the chinon and tamron versions of the 24, 28, and the 40-105 (the tamron says 38-100) and they look identical. I would think a few other selections like the 135, 200, 85-210, and 80-250 are tamrons as well but I have yet to see them side-by-side.

The build quality is fantastic for this chinon series. One of the best I've encountered. The big mystery is the 1.7/50 Macro. Great lens. Can't really nail down a manufacturer. The early Chinon labeled 1.7/55mms were tomioka and the later 1.7/50s in K mount were Cosinas, I think. Both look to be different designs from the Macro.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135 2.8 in picture #3 looks quite like my "expert" 135 2.8 (Canon FD mount), which I´ve never been able to figure out the manufacturer of:

Expert was the name of a Swedish chain of electronics stores, whose logo I´ve seen on a lenscap for a Vivitar lens, so perhaps my lens is an OEM made Chinon or Tamron. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting these.
They are a name that sits in the back of my memory, but I haven't seen one in the flesh so to speak.
What is the IQ like for these lenses - (presumably it is very good, or you wouldn't have collected them).
Is it in the same ballpark as Takumar or Canon?
Interested in your opinion
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Not much testing done. Reply with quote

I got into using the Alpa because it seemed solid, and its short flange distance permitted using other lenses than those very expensive ones that they tested and blessed.

Afte a while, Pignons lost out to the competition and the entire system, both the old small bayonet version, and the Alnea larger bayonet, came cheaply onto the flea markets, and on dealer sales, so I collected it.

I used the Angenieux, Switars and Kinoptics, but after finding that one of the last Japanese efforts was not in the same league, I just left the Chinons in storage. If I ever get time for comparisons, I will post some .

Today, of course, the entire Alpa system is back in vogue among the more discerning, and the Chinon products might see a revival.

p.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this Chinon 300 / 5.6 on a chance, it cost less than £10 and is in excellent condition so I had it. I'm glad I did, it's not the fastes lens in its class - the Tair is 4.5 for a start. But this beautifully made lens is less than half the weight of the Tair, 1.53g compared to 0.63g, and the Chinon is 85mm shorter. All that is nothing if the lens is poor, especially as the Tair has a great reputation. But I would rate the Chinon as a very close competitor in sharpness, but it wins hands down because you can hand hold the Chinon where the Tair needs scaffolding

This is a very under rated lens in my opinion, and I'm pleased to see there are other well thought of lenses in the same range.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aperture scale, black lacquer finish and focus grip pattern seen on 135 and 200mm remind me Soligor CD series that was made mostly by Tokina.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
The aperture scale, black lacquer finish and focus grip pattern seen on 135 and 200mm remind me Soligor CD series that was made mostly by Tokina.

Very much so, the gloss finish is identical, the green and red engravings are the same colour shade, the 28 / 2 CD Soligor has a similar window to read the f stops, the diamond grips are the same. The Chinon is obviously mainly plastic as opposed to the CD's metal, but I think there is a lot to link the two. I've got a Soligor CD 70-210 / 3.5 that is probably older than the 28, but that shares a lot with the Chinon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Soligor 70-150 that had the same finish with the diamond grips. It was a surprisingly good lens, I think it was made by Tamron.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"........diamond grips are the same. The Chinon is obviously mainly plastic as opposed to the CD's metal, but I think there is a lot to link the two......."

I had time today to check the mount material; the Chinon made, Alpa labelled lenses have metal mounts. I also took a look at the last mount made for Kern Switar 50 when there were optical cells but not any longer Swiss mounts available. It is very similar.

p.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may have opted to make the larger lenses with more plastic to cut down on weight. The primes and zoom I had were all metal except for the A/M switch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
"........diamond grips are the same. The Chinon is obviously mainly plastic as opposed to the CD's metal, but I think there is a lot to link the two......."

I had time today to check the mount material; the Chinon made, Alpa labelled lenses have metal mounts. I also took a look at the last mount made for Kern Switar 50 when there were optical cells but not any longer Swiss mounts available. It is very similar.

p.

Nah, where did you see plastic CHINON prime? Even their 1.9/50mm PK which is low budget is very well made metal lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: plastic Reply with quote

ask Lloydy, whom I quoted.

p.