Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

No. 1 Pocket Kodak Series II + Foma 100 = Pseudo Color !!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: No. 1 Pocket Kodak Series II + Foma 100 = Pseudo Color !! Reply with quote

I recently decided to go on a 'how old can you go' journey - I have several cams from the 1930s, so 1920's is next, then the teens then the 1900s, I want to shoot with one of the first 120 film Kodaks.

This is a camera that was made between 1922 and 1931, in various versions. Mine is a focusing f/7.7 Anastigmat which is the top spec for these... the folder foot is of a different design than some others, which either makes this very early or very late in the run. I don't know which!

I took the Pocket Kodak to Manhattan, and of course fearlessly estimate focused it, estimate exposed the Foma 100 etc. I mean, an unknown camera, why not Wink

The big surprise, having scanned the first 4 negatives: I'll be damned if the thing doesn't produce pseudo color scans, plausibly from vintage film -- I set the black point in the scanner to the film base and pick out a highlight for the white point and even click on pavement to set the mid tone, but even so the color remains. Desaturating all the way dulls the photo tremendously, plus I like this result - I did desaturate the full color I got from the scan.

Oh first the camera:

No. 1 Pocket Kodak Series II, 1922-1931 by Nesster, on Flickr

No.1 Pocket Kodak Series II,1924-1931, side view by Nesster, on Flickr

Then Frame #2 and #3 from the roll of Foma 100:

Gate & walk bridge, Trinity Church by Nesster, on Flickr

Focus at 20 ft ~f/8 or 9, 1/50 sec

Wall St Bull, in pseudo color by Nesster, on Flickr

Focus at 50ft, f/11 1/100 sec.

Last edited by Nesster on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting challenge , please keep inform us!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more samples from this - it is fairly sharp... I just bought a mint seeming Pocket Kodak (pre Series II) that has a super fast 6.8 lens, and a piece of hardware that ought to have been on more 6x9 folders: a second fold out foot to prop the camera up in landscape mode. I'll have pictures when I get them...

Series II, Foma 100:

Four Statues of Liberty, Battery Park by Nesster, on Flickr

Strangled by Liberty by Nesster, on Flickr

The second most popular end of the Wall Street Bull statue by Nesster, on Flickr

For some reason the pics tend to blur on the lower left

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dig that pseudo color shots big time. they would get you major kudos on the holga site ...