Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Confused with digatal body to old MF lens compatibility.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Confused with digatal body to old MF lens compatibility. Reply with quote

Hi Gurus!
First of all im still a complete noob when it comes to MF lenses and have some things that i need help with:

1st- are there any third party lenses that i can use with my nikon dslr body?

2nd- compatibility issues with old nikkor MF lens to my nikon dslr.( i have 50mm 1.4 and read that it needs "type B " conversion, but nonetheless i still used it and got great images) will it destroy my dslr?

3rd- i know that there are adapters that needs to be used so that i can use other MF lenses, which one adapter should i get? for hat type/kind/brand of MF lens? any site or anything i could read from?

btw, im using nikon d90.

Hoping you could help me out.
Thanks in Advance guys! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some background: A basic parameter of camera optics is the register, or flange focal distance. This is the distance within the camera from the lens mount to the frame (film or sensor). Longer register lenses can be used on shorter register cameras with simple glassless adapters, and can reach infinity focus. Shorter register lenses CANNOT be used on longer register cameras except as closeup lenses, or with an optical adapter. An optical adapter is essentially a teleconverter, and it loses whatever is special about the lens being used.

Of 35mm and APS cameras (SLRs), Nikon has the longest register and Canon has the shortest. Canon is thus the universal receptor and Nikon is the universal donor. I can easily put Nikon lenses on a Pentax camera, but not vice-versa.

Now, to your questions.

1) Basically, the only lenses you can use easily on your Nikon are lenses meant for Nikons. Many third-party Nikon-mount lenses exist. The only other lenses you could easily use are from medium-format cameras, and the non-optical adapters tend to be expensive.

2) Using older Nikon-compatible lenses will NOT ruin your dSLR. I'm no Nikon expert, so someone else can tell you about the limitations of using older glass on modern Nikon bodies. But you won't damage anything.

3) To use other lenses with adapters, dump the Nikon. To use many great lenses, go Pentax. To use MANY MANY great lenses, go Canon. To use just about everything, go Sony NEX. IMHO the best use of a Nikon body is to mount very expensive Nikon glass. But I can't afford that. Bother...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st, you're pretty much limited to Nikon Ai and AIS lenses as well as third-party lenses in Nikon Ai mount. Some third-party lenses in non-Ai may still be used with modern bodies, and most (but not all) non-Ai Nikkors can be modified to Ai mount.

2nd, mounting a non-Ai Nikkor can harm your camera's metering prong *if* it is there in the first place. It is safe to mount non-Ai lenses on lower Nikon bodies e.g. D40, D40x, D60, D80, D3100 etc.

3rd, you would need to swap lens mount to make it usable on Nikon bodies. Visit www.leitax.com for details. Reasons for that are pretty much outlined by RioRico. General consensus is that Canon EOS bodies are the most accomodating in respect to old glass (except mirrorless formats, of course; but there you'd be limited to 1.5x-2x crop factor whereas Canon has full-frame bodies).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay to put it in lame man's term
-nikon lenses(most or almost all)are for nikon bodies only
-using old nikkor lenses wont damage new nikon bodies but WILL damage metering prong due to frequent usage.
-they are very very few third party MF lenses that i could use on my nikon body. So, i would have no choice but to go to all out nikkor len$e$ that are expensive.

-On another note, im just curious on how would i know IF the old MF lenses can damage my metering prong? which old nikkor lenses could do damage and which would not?
So the site ive seen on the net that nikkor MF lenses is true that i need convertion so i could fully use the old lenses w/o damaging anything...
too bad.. and the cost of conversion is not cheap. Crying or Very sad

or are there any cheaper alternative that i could do aside from the lens conversion? like maybe an adapter or something?

thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tancho_kuhaku wrote:
-nikon lenses(most or almost all)are for nikon bodies only
-using old nikkor lenses wont damage new nikon bodies but WILL damage metering prong due to frequent usage.
-they are very very few third party MF lenses that i could use on my nikon body

A) No. F-mount lenses, made by Nikon or any other manufacturer can be used on Canon Pentax etc. bodies, with a mechanical adapter.

B) No. Google "Nikon lens compatibility" or see the my reply below

C) No, no no. Dozens of 3rd party manufacturers have made lenses in and for Nikon SLR & DSLR. F-mount is the most supported camera mount in history, if you count the amount of lenses manufactured by Nikon or anyone else.

1) I wouldn't exactly call Nikon DSLR users "limited", when there are up to date more than 77 million Nikkor lenses manufactured to choose from, PLUS as all those 3rd party lenses made for Nikon F-mount. F-mount is the World's most supported camera mount if you count total of lenses manufactured. This is the mount that killed rangefinder, and you can mount almost any Nikkor lens made after 1959 for use on your camera: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html
You will have focus confirm, metering capabilities are often limited.

2) Due to the bayonet design a pre-Ai Nikon/3rd party manufacturer's lens won't mount your D90 unless forced and that will damage camera. Ai- Ai-S, AF and AF-S work without conversion. Read this for more info http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Many pre-Ai Nikkor lenses available today on the aftermarket are already converted, factory kits and conversion kits are available for USD 10 to 30 depending on lens. Whether Nikon lenses are expensive or not depends on what you compare with, vs. $20 lenses they are expensive yes but don't expect a $20 lens to outperform a $100 Nikkor. When you buy used, you can often liquidate your purchase for the same value, so try-and-buy works fine.

3) Leica R-series glass can be converted for Nikon DSLR use with http://www.leitax.com reversible mount conversion.

M42 glass can be used on Nikon DSLR but that requires a glass adapter if you want to achieve infinity focus. The glass acts as a teleconverter (1.2x) and also eats detail and contrast. Now, some users find the loss of quality unacceptable, for others quality is acceptable. See http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=50441299%40N00&q=Nikon+M42&m=text for some M42 glass adapter shots on Nikon.

Finally: Search, study, read, buy a book, ask here on this forum. There are so many lenses to choose from, that a collective resource for knowledge is the best source of information.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget medium format lenses. Many of those can be adapted to Nikon as well.