Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMC Tokina 17mm F3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing Dustin! Over and over again ! Who care corner sharpness Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I am astonished by the clarity and sharpness of these samples.
What I had seen before from this lens was not even comparable in quality.
But it always comes down to the same old point, how is that every lens that you try looks so impressive?
Perhaps you should lend your lens to someone else so that we can have a more realistic term of comparison! Laughing

There could be sample variation due to quality control during manufacturing, although Tokina seems better at that than some other third-party lens makers. But, there is another issue that often is overlooked: all Tokina 17/3.5 RMCs are many years old. As such, some samples may be afflicted with dust, haze, and/or fungus that rapidly degrade image quality, starting with excessive flare.

I've had two older Nikkor lenses (a 20/3.5 UD and a Zoom Nikkor 25-50/4 Ai-S) that, despite being outwardly nearly pristine, had terrible accumulations of dust and haze and produced soft, low-contrast images. After servicing, both are sharp, clear, and have great contrast.

Point is, just because a sample of an older lens is disappointing, doesn't mean there is anything inherently wrong with the lens; it may just need a bit of TLC to perform properly. Conversely, someone else may get a good, clean example of a lens, and their images reflect the difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking about picking this lens up for my 5Dc rather than getting a 17-40L that I would just be using @ 17mm most of the time for landscapes...

Has anyone had issues with mirror clearance with the c/y version of this lens?

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: tokina 17mm f3.5 rmc ii FD Reply with quote

Just spotted this (Tokina 17/3.5 RMC II FD) in mint condition for 29.99 UKP and ordered in a heartbeat. Was looking for a wide angle prime (wider than my Viv 24/2) and this could be the one. I guess this is not a bad price? Another adapter for the nex Confused

Dustin, your photos are awesome! I spotted some on your flickr when I was searching for info on these lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Tokina RMC 17/3.5 II in Ai-S Nikon mount. Inspection shows a few very light marks on the front element, none on the rear, and only light dust on a few internal surfaces. No mold, no haze. Focus and aperture move smoothly. Yay!

I snapped a few shots of non-plus scenery and they look very sharp in the center and surprisingly sharp in the corners--at least as good, if not better than my Nikkor 20/3.5 Ai-S. I notice some CA, but it's not bad at all. I've certainly seen worse CA on a few Nikkor lenses I have--and much worse on a Leitz macro lens.

When I get shots of something decent, I'll post a couple.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is one from last June..

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up one of these, and it seems to have something on the inside of the front element, its very tiny little specs (quite a few of them actually) that can only be seen when angled towards strong light, does anyone have any idea how to get the front element out of one of these lenses? It doesnt look like theres holes to fit a lens spanner into.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: FOCUS issue Reply with quote

Hi all, it's my first post here, and unfortunately it's not a happy one...
I'm a happy owner of a nex 5n and a bunch of zeiss primes, and recently i bought the tokina 17 3,5 in konica ar mount. I also bought two adapters off ebay, one of them being a fotga, because i noticed a problem with the infinity.
It seems that i reach infinity before the full rotation of the lens, a couple of mm before the mark... Do you know if it's the lens, if it can be fixed or what i should do? Get another one?
Thank you all...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: FOCUS issue Reply with quote

stressandsheepy wrote:
Hi all, it's my first post here, and unfortunately it's not a happy one...
I'm a happy owner of a nex 5n and a bunch of zeiss primes, and recently i bought the tokina 17 3,5 in konica ar mount. I also bought two adapters off ebay, one of them being a fotga, because i noticed a problem with the infinity.
It seems that i reach infinity before the full rotation of the lens, a couple of mm before the mark... Do you know if it's the lens, if it can be fixed or what i should do? Get another one?
Thank you all...

Buy a Pixco adapter that is pass infinity, should accurate with your lens. Lens is adjustable sure by an expert, but a Pixco adapter lot cheaper than labor cost , try first and if not help pay for infinity adjustment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm finally getting into the Ultrawide side of photography. As usual though, it has to be the cheap way, so off to EBay I went.

I found a Tokina 17mm F3.5 Prime lens and have spent the last few days pouring over reviews and seeing just how great this little lens performs. The reviews and photos on this site put me over the edge.

Tonight I WON that lens! Maybe I paid a little too much, but it looks mint and is in a P/K mount. Can't wait to get started shooting with that lens. Now to get the right adapter for my Cokin filter holder.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina 17mm F3.5 arrived today. Looks like it was rarely used, near mint!

Tokina-17mm-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Tokina-17mm-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Here are a couple test shots wide open. This lens isn't a macro lens, but it focuses down to around 9 inches. Pretty sharp for wide open!

Tokina-17mm-wide-open-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Tokina-17mm-wide-open-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

And finally one of tonight's sunset off the back porch. I'm going to go out Sunday and see how well it works up in the mountains. I need to get an adapter to use my Cokin P filter holder though, so they won't be as good as they could be (non filtered).

Tokina-17mm-f8 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clearly a great performer CJ. I'm still looking for one in my price range, seems my range isn't big enough. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought my second copy for 20ukp, first one is in Konica AR so only for use on my NEX, second one is in PK and is supposed to have fungus but I'll be damned if I can see any, so rather pleased.

Great lens, I use it a lot on my NEX, perhaps more than any other lens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A another stunning one!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planning to buy one on ebay. Hopefully no one else bid on it and I can get it for cheap. btw, what is the best nikkor to canon eos adapter?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
planning to buy one on ebay. Hopefully no one else bid on it and I can get it for cheap. btw, what is the best nikkor to canon eos adapter?

The latest version from big_is on ebay is excellent. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.. i bought mine in SR minolta mount. I converted it into m42.

here some shot by this little gem. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Tokina 17mm F3.5 Pentax Mount for Your Nikon Mount? Reply with quote

I know this is a long shot, but I am wondering if anyone would consider a trade on an excellent Pentax mount version (photos above) for your Nikon mount lens.

I recently bought a Nikon D600 and I would LOVE to use my Tokina 17mm with it, I am not having any luck finding a Nikon mount version though.

Oh, and here are a few more photos taken with this lens on a Pentax K20D.

RMNP-5-August-2012-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

RMNP-5-August-2012-4 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-4 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-7 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-9 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-10 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-12 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-13 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-14 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Wrong mount Reply with quote

Lovely copy you all have. I ended up with FD mount copy. It won't work on my 5dc, pitty!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thread. Anyone using this lens on A7 or A7r body?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it on A7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some photos

old part of town called Radovljica

all photos at f5,6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few photos on NEX-5,

Streets @ Tokina RMC 17mm F3.5 by calvin83@MFLenses, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina RMC 3.5/17mm compared to Minolta MD 4/17mm (JPGs directly out of Sony A7):

RAW data converted with Photoshop; CAs removed an defringed:

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just serviced this lens which suffered from some haze on the middle group.

Results are pleasing on Sony A7II. The lens is sharp but you must beware field curvature.

[img]Field curvature in the tube by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]