Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tomosy´s Camera Repair Handbooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Tomosy´s Camera Repair Handbooks Reply with quote

Hello,

is anybody familiar with Thomas Tomosy´s Camera repair books?

He has written at least a general guide and specific Leica and Nikon books.

http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Maintenance-Repair-Book-Comprehensive/dp/0936262869

Do you recommend them?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book 1 goes thru tools, materials, dos and don'ts. Describes then the basic troubleshooting techniques by the aid of flowcharts, lubing and cleaning procedures. There is a section of common configurations and several sections pertaining specific models and brands. Good explanation on repairing broken parts and even building some from scratch. There is a chapter on DIY test instruments. The text is well written and clear, to me at least. Lots of pictures, some of which with captions. I think it's a good introduction, but of course don't expect it will make you into a camera technician just after finishing the first reading. The second book adds more models and brands detail plus advanced techniques. A good complement to the 1st one with which is similar in the structure.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I need to look his books over for help, I go to the public library. I seldom spend the money for a book after having actually seen what little pertains to me. I just purchased the "Camera Raw with PS CS2" after taking the book out for a week. It had a lot of information I needed.