Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

focusingscreen dot com
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: focusingscreen dot com Reply with quote

Hi, it's been a while.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the focusingscreen.com 5DIII focusing screens? If yes, what is your experience? Does it affect metering or AF in any way at all?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested by the answer too. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents guys-

http://skvltd.wordpress.com/2013/11/20/bresson-split-focusing-screen-nikon-d5100/

Cheaper/lesser known one, but affects nothing as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the EC-A from focusingscreen on my 6D. As per the instructions, changed screen in settings to Eg-S and metering works correctly. No change to AF because the screen is on top of mirror box. AF sensor is on bottom of mirror box.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used that particular screen but my D700 has a microprism/ground glass screen from them in it and it works like a champ. They have a much bigger selection that Katz Eye and they are less expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: focusingscreen dot com Reply with quote

Sirrith wrote:
Hi, it's been a while.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the focusingscreen.com 5DIII focusing screens? If yes, what is your experience? Does it affect metering or AF in any way at all?

Thanks.

Hi,

I do realize the thread is a bit stale, but I would like to respond nonetheless. I have not used the focusing screens of mentioned site, but I do have several years of experience with the KatzEye product, in my EOS 40D.

The KatzEye was treated with their OptiBrite process, which made the viewfinder up to 2 stops brighter, and this did threw off the metering a bit. Unfortunately it was not a constant factor, but since I usually shoot near wide open, I shot in raw and dialed an exposure compensation of +2/3 EV, which was usually enough to prevent the highlights from blowing out.

However, under certain conditions, this was not always correct, so in critical situations I checked the histogram and adjusted exposure accordingly. Also, I found out that the histogram was based upon the generated jpeg, so the corresponding raw file usually provided enough extra headroom to cope with the exposure errors.

For me, the benefits of the focusing screen outweighed the negatives: the split prism is really, really nice to have and the OptiBrite treatment prevented blackout up to f/8 or so, which was pretty neat imho. And no, I do not work for KatzEye Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should ask - today I managed to take my 5D3 out for the first time with the matte screen in from the focusingscreen.com site. I've not yet looked at the results, but it seems to help at wider apertures. Today I could only go to f/3.5 with the Industar 50-2; anything smaller than f/8 was very dark in the viewfinder, and it was a bright day outside today.

I have a Katzeye in my 60D and I don't recall it being a problem shooting at f/11 with that screen; unfortunately Katzeye didn't have a screen for the 5D3 when I looked.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

different style screens are designed differently. I haven't bothered to research why, but from what I have experienced, if you want accuracy and a shallow depth of field, the screen will be darker at smaller apertures. If you don't care for depth of field brightness through the viewfinder won't chance as drastically.

For what its worth. I had a Katseye (with optibright) in my K10, Metering was all over the place. I replaced it with a "S" type screen from the above website. (It's a Canon EG-S that is cut to fit the K10) and Holy Jesus Mohammad Mary Lucifer! Metering is now rear enough perfect with just about anything. Well having said that there are some slight family variations.. I.e all my Super Taks meter the same, all my M series Pentax lenses meter the same, but there is 1/3 of a stop difference between the M and the Super Taks. Does that make sense?

Long story short, the "darker" viewfinder has been well worth it for the accuracy of focus and the correct metering.

Now.. Do all cameras meter off the focus screen, or do some have the meter down near the AF sensor? Perhaps that is compounding varied reports?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
Now.. Do all cameras meter off the focus screen, or do some have the meter down near the AF sensor? Perhaps that is compounding varied reports?

The metering sensor is usually located in the prism, near the eyepiece. That is why a different matte screen can throw off your metering.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has been my thoughts too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snodge wrote:
Funny you should ask - today I managed to take my 5D3 out for the first time with the matte screen in from the focusingscreen.com site. I've not yet looked at the results, but it seems to help at wider apertures. Today I could only go to f/3.5 with the Industar 50-2; anything smaller than f/8 was very dark in the viewfinder, and it was a bright day outside today.

I have a Katzeye in my 60D and I don't recall it being a problem shooting at f/11 with that screen; unfortunately Katzeye didn't have a screen for the 5D3 when I looked.

The woes of adapters right here I suppose. I do like having a split screen w/ propriatory lenses that are always kept at max available aperture for focusing and only close down for the actual shutter actuation. Limits choices, but definitely helps the process.