Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any options for a hood on helios 40?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Any options for a hood on helios 40? Reply with quote

I've just picked up a Helios 40 (alum. finish). I'm still waiting for my 39mm to 42mm adapter. After a quick scan online I cant seem to find any 66mm hoods/sunshade. Are there any options available or should I look for a step up ring? Does anyone know what size thread the helios filters are? 66 x ? Confused

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hood available and I am afraid filter too, you must make an own cardboard hood Laughing

Last edited by Attila on Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no 66mm thread hoods or filters available online, I searched a lot for them, as I have two (no, actually, now only one) Helios-40.
I ended up making a cardboard hood.
Super easy, and works a charm.
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a site that has templates you download, print out on your printer
then construct out of heavy black paper. The problem is the templates
are for current lenses, not an old one like the Helios. But there might
be a lens that is close to 66mm (like a 67mm) in the lineup:

http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made mine without a template, just took a piece of black cardboard, not too stiff not too floppy, cut a stripe with as height the maximum depth of hood (melius abundare here), as lenght just long enough to make sure you will be able to wrap it around the lens.
With my cut stripe I wrapped it around the lens, made a pencil mark where the two ends meet and cut the stripe there so that the two ends meet precisely.
Then joined the two ends with black adhesive tape.
Then mounted the hood on the lens and started experimenting, making a photo and see if vignettes, if it does, cut a bit, and try again, etc. until I make the perfect shape.
Of course on the top it picks more because most of the times the sun is higher than the lens so hood should be longer on the top.
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. I ran into this problem with a plaubel makina lens. I only use it for black and white and needed to mount filters to the lens. I have the filters that came with the camera in '37, the red one was cracked and the rest are in poor condition however. By removing the broken glass, and then glueing (epoxy) a step ring to the front of the empty filter ring. I now have a 49mm thread on the anticomar lens wich of course filters and hoods can be mounted. The original lens threads are intact preserving it's value. The helios 40 that have bid on seem to come with filters (I have not won one yet). This should work to sacrifice one of the filters and glue on a 67mm ring. If it was a Wide Angle lens maybe vigneting could be a problem, but not with a portrait lens. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not sacrifice a filter if your Helios came with them - they are rare.
Believe me a cardboard hood in the case of Helios is much more comfortable than a broken filter+glue+stepup ring.
This because the Helios-40 has a large metal border in front of lens, it hosts a cardboard hood very comfortably, and if you build the hood tight, it will stay on with no problem even with the camera hanging from your neck. And, you'll not have to sacrifice a precious filter (you don't find 66mm filters anywhere!)

-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, Is it possible you could scan your 2D lens hood and upload it 1:1 so you take out the guess work for others?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2D hood?

Well, scanning my hood would mean to basically sacrifice it, because I would need to flatten it under the lid, but if this can help someone, I will, I can make another one.

-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved!! I have an old plastic hood that came with a small lot of m42 lenses that I bought. It is a universal style with a thumb set screw. It fits perfectly over the helios. I was thinking of making some 66mm to 67mm step up rings at work. (i'm a machinist) I still may do that so I can mount filters. My lens came with 3 filters but I think they are for B+W film?? Light yellow, darker yellow, and a red?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw here is a test shot I took of my 15 yr old pug. Shot with a Samsung gx-1l, iso200, apperture f1.5. All i did was save as jpeg from raw, then resized to post online.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely old Man! or Lady ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old man. His name is Neuman. After the character on Seinfeld.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - he's much better looking than Neuman

patrickh Smile Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw at the first time he is an old man, just won't heart. Beautiful model, you able to make great portrait from his face as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to find a Tiffen 66mm filter adapter which was a step up to Series 8 filter on eBay. Having this adapter on the lens opens up more filter and hood options.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The step up ring for the helios 40 (66mm to 67mm) was available on ebay from ramir73 but it seems it not longer available.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Any options for a hood on helios 40? Reply with quote

reknelb wrote:
I've just picked up a Helios 40 (alum. finish). I'm still waiting for my 39mm to 42mm adapter. After a quick scan online I cant seem to find any 66mm hoods/sunshade. Are there any options available or should I look for a step up ring? Does anyone know what size thread the helios filters are? 66 x ? Confused

http://www.ebay.com/itm/66mm-67mm-step-up-ring-for-M39-Alu-Helios-40-for-hood-/172048875535

Wink