Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Front element separation?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Front element separation? Reply with quote

I've noticed a strange "traces" on the front element of my Cyclop 85/1.5, it looks like this:

It appeared after cleaning the front element with IPA cleaner, is it possible that it damaged the element gluing? If so, will it grow worse over time? It certainly doesn't affect the lens performance now, but I'm afraid it might get bad Sad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks more like fungus.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it appeared after a isopropyl treatment of the front lens, it will at the very least be alcohol-induced dirt creep behind the front element. If you are unlucky, it is cement fogging (cyanoacrylates are are rather vulnerable to solvents), in the worst case even separation.

It probably will not grow and the surface seems to be small enough that it will not make a visible difference, but it will have damaged the resale value. Don't take alcohol to lenses, unless they are disassembled and you are in control of where it flows. There are very good reasons why the classic Kodak lens cleaner is water based.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, if I only knew about alcohol cleaning risks before... Very Happy It's good that I haven't tried it with the rest of my glasses Surprised.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to what Sevo said. If you manage to take out the front glass element and clean both sides, the stains will most probably go away. And no, it is NOT separation, as this lens has a single lens element on the front:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fungus to me - I've had lenses which displayed that pattern. Easy to treat though; cold cream works well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing removes fungus better then glass cleaners with under 5% ammonia. If your Cyclop is genuine you don't have to worry about any damage. Tested. BTW your fungus is a baby, you can even leave it to grow for few years without worries Wink.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
+1 to what Sevo said. If you manage to take out the front glass element and clean both sides, the stains will most probably go away. And no, it is NOT separation, as this lens has a single lens element on the front:

Thanks, that's a load out of my mind Very Happy. If I only manage to unscrew the front ring I'll clean it. Just wonder how to get such an unusual wrench to catch it Confused.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing so special. I think most needs this: Click here to see on Ebay.de
to unscrew.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, I'll see if I can get my hands on something like this Smile.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would NOT touch it as you won't see the difference in your photos; it is just cosmetic
but the risk to make a permanent damage is much higher IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you're right, tinkering might be risky because I never done it before. If it won't grow I'll just leave it to be Very Happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will grow unless you put it under UV light for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long should it be exposed to the UV to kill it if it's a little fungus? Something like 15 minutes or longer?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it for a few days.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about putting it under an UV lamp (the weather ain't too sunny in PL now Razz), but it can be only turned on for 15 min. Could this do the trick, or should I expose it several times?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looks like fungus to me. If it's the new fungus you can get rid of it by lens cleaning solution. But if it's the old fungus, Pond cold cream can do this job.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sold my fungused Cyclop with an IR device and bought a new one, that's probably the best solution Laughing.