Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Roll film curl and the Medalist
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Roll film curl and the Medalist Reply with quote

I thought this was very interesting indeed:

Quote:
In sequence of introduction the Kodak Ektra camera followed Kodak's Medalist 620 camera, which had been an exercise in film flatness -
footnote: Most of the basic research in film flatness was done for this camera because of problems encountered in trying to build a folding camera with an f/3.5 lens. The problem rested in the fact that roll film was designed to overcome the curl of the roll by a slight tendency to curl with the edges inward (toward the lens). At large lens openings, the curling made the edges unsharp; the same problem was true with press cameras, which were generally unsharp at large openings because the sheet film was not completely flat in the holder and even less so in film packs. The resulting design of the Kodak Medalist camera gave the film a two-way curl, thus overcoming the problem. The Medalist was one of the sharpest picture takers ever produced by Kodak and introduced the concept of interchangeable backs, at least to the extent of allowing a ground-glass back to be substituted for the regular back, and a cut-film holder to be used in place of roll film. While the idea was not new, most cameras, such as the Kodak Recomar, used the opposite approach. Kodak had never before produced a roll film attachment for a plate camera

- p. 218, Glass, Brass, & Chrome, The American 35mm Miniature Camera, by Kalton C. Lahue and Joseph A. Bailey, University of Oklahoma Press, 1972

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol !

Timely note for me. I am trying to achieve film flatness with a modified roll film holder. Quite a problem.