Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 105mm f2.5 vs Samyang 85mm f1.4 - a question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 105mm f2.5 vs Samyang 85mm f1.4 - a question Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I am just curious, does anyone in the community happen to have both lenses? I am interested to know which lens is better for bokeh? I presume Samyang version might just have the edge over sharpness at wide open aperture as it is a modern optics design? Confused

I know I am not comparing like against like as the focal length differs.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some answers here, but not the Samyang version unfortunately:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/893751

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 105 AIS + I have several 80mm lenses Biotar 75, pancolar 80 etc . 105mm Nikon is outstanding from every aspects, I doubt any lens will better for portrait, bokeh etc. I sold only because easy to buy again if need.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Nikkor 105mm F2,5 AiS which was pretty worn on the outside, but perfect optics.

I liked it a lot, but I used my Nikkor AF 85mm F1,8 way more often, and it is one of the few AF lenses (besides my Nikkor AF-S 35mm F1,8 and my Nikkor AF 28-105mm F3,5-4,5) I really love.

So I sold it off. But I think one day when I get a D700, it will come again to me. It's really wonderful.

Regards,

Benedikt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

105 kiron-made f/2.5 no slouch either, but HEAVY.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
105 kiron-made f/2.5 no slouch either, but HEAVY.

Yeah I am lucky to have this one (Vivitar branded, but serial no. indicate it is a Kiron made lens), but unfortunately in FD mount. I wanted to use the 105mm Nikkor on naturaliy on my Nikon (D2H) camera.

The Kiron macro lens is very slow to focus.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:

Yes, but super precise, which does not hurt in the tight DOFs that will bring out the bokeh.

We all know it is crazy sharp macro, but it seems like the sharpest telephoto I have as well---hanging right with the tokina 90mm and a very tight 135mm soligar f/2 (which also surprises me and, as learned here, has the tightest DOF wide open of any lens I own)

The samyang 85mm is something that really interests me also, because of it's terrific speed and reputed IQ.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
stingOM wrote:

Yes, but super precise, which does not hurt in the tight DOFs that will bring out the bokeh.

We all know it is crazy sharp macro, but it seems like the sharpest telephoto I have as well---hanging right with the tokina 90mm and a very tight 135mm soligar f/2 (which also surprises me and, as learned here, has the tightest DOF wide open of any lens I own)

The samyang 85mm is something that really interests me also, because of it's terrific speed and reputed IQ.

Hi,

Do you have a couple of photos (wide open shots Wink) taken with this moster Soligor lens? How does it compare with the 135mm f1.8?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Hi,

Do you have a couple of photos (wide open shots Wink) taken with this moster Soligor lens? How does it compare with the 135mm f1.8?

Here it is handheld iso 200 1/320 at f/2 DOF quite tight (very overcast flat light) no PP Sony APS-C

Sharpness--same settings no PP

bigger:
http://g4.img-dpreview.com/CC87218A0BAD4ED3A93C3EF3AEFE331A.jpg
100%

action:

bigger
http://g1.img-dpreview.com/72CF623931D2467F805C9404F43E923C.jpg

I'm thinking of trying some brenizer shots with it.

I have heard some copies of this lens were labeled 1.8, but some say there is a distinct Soligar 135mm f/1.8---I cannot find any pics of it--they may be refrering to a spiratone rebranded as soligar----not sure but there are some guys around here who REALLY know the soligors

oh wait...here is the 1.8

and here is my f/2: seems much newer

bigger view:

http://g1.img-dpreview.com/F65CB52F279049EFA2D844382483C0CE.jpg

It's turned to winter here fast and have not had a chance to really try it out, but it does seem pretty sharp.

It is one hunk of metal with sweet focus and unusual large easy clicking aperture ring--really nice to to stop on the fly.

bigger:
http://g2.img-dpreview.com/B97A81D31CBB4B70BF6F2D8ACD73C9C3.jpg

Won auction at 151.40 USD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a search here on the Samyang 85/1.4, you'll find a bunch of threads with pics. It really is a sweet lens. I want to get one in Nikon mount.

I own a Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 -- and a Vivitar (Kiron) 105mm f/2.5 as well. I consider each lens (including the Samyang) to be different and it has never really occurred to me that I might want to compare one of my 105s with a fast 85mm. To me, the primary reason for a fast 85 is to be able to take advantage of a very thin depth of field and to blow out the background. In contrast, my 105 Nikkor is a portrait lens first and my Vivitar macro is a macro lens first.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even handled the Samyang, so can't make any comment on it. But I have owned two different versions of the 105/2.5 Nikkor - the original version and a later AI one which was physically a much larger lens. On film the degree of "out of focus-ness" was pretty much the same at f2.5 as the my 90mm Summicron RF lens at f2, so I guess the same would apply to the Samyang. But of course I can't say how the "out-of-focus-ness" might differ between them. The Summicron's out-of-focus image was "smoother" than either of the Nikons, but that's just a comparative observation. Seen in isolation, they all looked/look pretty good to me.

Depth of field tables will tell you just how much or how little zone of sharpness to expect from either of the lenses. It won't be much different at full aperture.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say: make your decision based on the focal length you prefer. 85 is a bit wider, which can be nice.

The bokeh of the Samyang/Rokinon is best in class and the wide open sharpness is excellent. At f/1.4 the Samyang will have better subject isolation (a better word for "out-of-focusness").

From what I have heard, the Nikkor is also very good at infinity, where the Samyang may be not so special. Furthermore, the build quality of the Nikkor will be substantially better (esp. durability).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this guy got a good deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Opteka-85mm-f1-4-Lens-Manual-Focus-Samyang-Rokinon-/280602787880?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item41553ac028

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Wish I would have seen that one. I notice also that prices have come down in general on this lens -- roughly by $100. Nice. I can almost afford one now.