Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

exakta mount or what else?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: exakta mount or what else? Reply with quote

I have temporarily available a Meyer 300mm 4.5; I'd like to make some shot but the mount is a problem.

I suppose that the mount is exakta but my adapter is not good: the lugs (I don't know the specific name) of lens mount are outside the adapter ring indicated with the red arrow (see picture below); so the lens is no held.

The lens mount:

The adapter:

What's the real mount?

I saw this auction with similar mount:

http://cgi.ebay.de/137913-MEYER-OPTIK-GORLITZ-300MM-F-4-5-TELEMEGOR-EXAKTA-/380264061521?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item5889811a51

and the vendor write exakta mount. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Shocked Question

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese made Exakta mount is not same than genuine Exakta body mount as you can recognise it. Cheapest solution is buy an Exakta body with faulty and take off genuine mount and build your own one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Exakta External bayonet mount. Most Exakta cameras actually had provision for two lens mounts, which could take lenses with both internal and external lugs.

This mount was supposed to be used for very heavy lenses, or maybe for lenses that optically needed a little bigger opening than the narrow standard one. I have seen it used on some Meyer 180/3.5, 300/4.5 (I have one of these) and 400/5.5 (but only on some, some of these also used the standard mount). There are probably some other lenses like this.

I don't think anyone makes a standard adapter for this mount. The usual Exakta adapters are all for lenses with the internal lugs.

I think you will have to make your own adapter. I have a Meyer 300/4.5 like yours that I converted an adapter for Pentax K -

http://forum.mflenses.com/meyer-telemegor-300-4-5-exakta-external-best-telemegor-t14178,highlight,meyer+drainpipe.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila for the very useful hint: I saw that the chinese adapter for canon is more well made.

Thanks Luisalegria for the comprehensive info and for the indirect "MacGyver" encouragement.

So can I take this:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Klassische-Spiegelreflexkamera-EXAKTA-Varex-IIb-Gehause-/160512407196?pt=DE_Elektronik_Computer_Foto_Camcorder_AnalogeKameras_PM&hash=item255f48f69c

or this:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Balgengerat-Exakta-Exa-Anschlus-/120652528610?pt=DE_Elektronik_Computer_Foto_Camcorder_Foto_Camcorderzubeh%C3%B6r_PM&hash=item1c17737be2

for the dismount?

may be is possible to "merge" one part of any OM chinese adapter with this?

many many thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be possible to make a conversion. Because you want to connect to a 4/3, there is plenty of space to work with.

Maybe disassemble the Chinese adapter and see if you can replace the Exakta side with the real Exakta mount from a camera.

A pity though about the old Exakta equipment. Try to find one thats really junk.

The bellows probably doesn't have the external mount. I have only seen this on the cameras. Maybe a 2x TC might also have one, probably not.

Can I have the prism from that first one ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe disassemble the Chinese adapter and see if you can replace the Exakta side with the real Exakta mount from a camera.

I follow your idea.

Quote:
Can I have the prism from that first one ?

Ooopss I'm not the winner of this auction, sorry Sad

I've just bought another old camera (as you told) at a lower price, but without any prism. (EXA IIb) Confused

I wait the camera to test your idea. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Meyer teles actually have a replaceable rear cone, and these show up frequently as spares on ebay. but it can be hard to figure out whether an offered one matches a given lens as they had a few register lengths and widths and the sellers usually are unable to give accurate measurements.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the lens mount from an Exakta body doesn't hurt it at all...in fact you will occasionally find replacement ones on the 'bay, as Exakta offered mounts with the external lugs as an upgrade, that could be attached to pretty much all the older bodies.

More info at this link

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Removing the lens mount from an Exakta body doesn't hurt it at all...in fact you will occasionally find replacement ones on the 'bay, as Exakta offered mounts with the external lugs as an upgrade, that could be attached to pretty much all the older bodies.

More info at this link

Very interesting alternative Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's actually an OEM Exakta mount with the external lugs on the 'bay right now.
Click here to see on Ebay

Actually, it looks like he has multiples.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and some cheap bodies with the correct mount:

Sometimes you'll see old worn bellows units with the mount on it too.

If I ever snag the elusive Taika Harigon 58/1.2 in external Exakta mount....I'll need to do something like this....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks eggboy for the links.

Quote:
Sometimes you'll see old worn bellows units with the mount on it too.

If I ever snag the elusive Taika Harigon 58/1.2 in external Exakta mount....I'll need to do something like this....

wow Wink Cool

Taika Harigon a very cool lens!