Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Double 45° split image focus screen
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Double 45° split image focus screen Reply with quote

I just got a double 45° split image focus screen from China. Installation was much easier and simpler than I expected. It is really weird, that I must say, as I'm not used to this kind of screen. Accuracy is perfect. The center part is insanely bright. The area outside the center is quite a bit dimmer than it is with the original screen - as expected - on the other hand DOF is seen much more properly in that area, so focusing accurately outside of the center is now possible even with fast lenses. It will be interesting to see how this add-on will behave outdoors when I go squirrel hunting.

The camera is K20D, and I already have a 1.3x magnifier attaeched to it - I may try without it as well to increase the brightness of the non-center. The focus screen is from eBay("Linkdelight") - very fast delivery and very inexpensive to try out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for tip!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the screens are gimmicks. I have a K3 screen in my 40D and it's slightly better than the standard screen, but I find it useless for portraits; preferring the Canon matte screen.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Double 45° split image focus screen Reply with quote

Anu wrote:
The focus screen is from eBay("Linkdelight") - very fast delivery and very inexpensive to try out.

Is that the name of the seller?
I cannot find him on EBAY.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Double 45° split image focus screen Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Anu wrote:
The focus screen is from eBay("Linkdelight") - very fast delivery and very inexpensive to try out.

The name rang a bell with me; this will be him
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/LinkDelight-Photography-Shop
He has a dash in the middle, link-delight, which screws up the search.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Double 45° split image focus screen Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Anu wrote:

Just search for dual split focus screen and plenty appear. The brand of the screen is the same for all, I am pretty sure.

Anyhow, I did try the screen outdoors today with real live targets and fount it to be unusable for animal shooting Sad

It is fine, even good indoors and so, but trying to shoot a squirrel is next to impossible with this, so I changed the original screen back. Luckily swapping screens on K20D is trivial - takes less than a minute.

So if you shoot architecture and other dead targets, you may like it - it is very inexpensive and trivial to change (beware of scratching - use the plastic tweezers is you can, instead of the metal ones), so trying it out doesn't cost much. Unless of course you have shaky hands and accidently drop a hammer on the sensor or something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu, you should get a Canon EE-S screen and cut it to size: it fits without needing shims on Pentax cameras (at least in the istD and Kx), and is great for mf.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer using the microprism area over the split image. Maybe it just suits my long-sightedness better, but I find it's more precise and works a lot better in low light. I found a microprism-only screen for my X-500 and I'm loving it! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Anu, you should get a Canon EE-S screen and cut it to size: it fits without needing shims on Pentax cameras (at least in the istD and Kx), and is great for mf.

That is a good tip!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only be careful when cutting to use the center of the screen, as it's shaped like a lens to eliminate vignetting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Only be careful when cutting to use the center of the screen, as it's shaped like a lens to eliminate vignetting.

Thank you. I will keep this in mind if/when I do this. Much appreciated!