Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I need some Lens Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: I need some Lens Suggestions Reply with quote

At the moment, my slowest manual focus lenses (both my 28mm and my 135mm) open up to f/2.8, which in the grand scheme of things, isn't terribly slow.

I do a lot of low light shooting, so unfortunately, i find myself needing even faster lenses. In general i want to start getting higher quality, faster lenses. I don't know too much about what lenses are out there, which ones to look for, avoid, how much is a reasonable price, etc; so i figured i'd as for some advice!

They can be any lens mount, but i strongly prefer M42 (simply because i have a 16mm film camera that has that mount, and i'd like to be able to use my lenses on both my digital, and 16mm cameras). I'd like the lenses to open up to a 1.4 (although 1.8 isn't completely out of the question).

focal lengths i'm looking for:
28mm (or 30mm, or anything around that length)
85mm
135mm

I have no idea how ridiculous it is to want a 1.4/135, but i figured i'd list my "dream lenses" and see what comes of it.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would maybe better invest money in a new DSLR body with better high ISO capability Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: I need some Lens Suggestions Reply with quote

gearsNcogs wrote:

focal lengths i'm looking for:
28mm (or 30mm, or anything around that length)
85mm
135mm

I have no idea how ridiculous it is to want a 1.4/135, but i figured i'd list my "dream lenses" and see what comes of it.
Thanks!

It's going to be hard to find faster lenses than your current 28 and 135, especially with the restriction for M42 mount. 2.8 is pretty fast for those focal lengths.

For 85mm, you can look at the Takumar lenses (1.8, 1.9), the Jupiter-9 (2.0), or the Helios-40 (1.5). I'm not sure if there is much else in M42 mount.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure there are !

There are M42 35/2 (or thereabouts) in several brands, 28/2's also (like the Kiron-made Vivitar I have); there are 135/1.8's likewise in several brands, etc., etc. And plenty of 80-90mm's in that ballpark.

The only problem is that these are desirable lenses, and likely to be fairly expensive.

Cheapest ones, probably, would be -

That 28/2 Kiron
The Sigma-made 135/1.8
The Jupiter-9 85/2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem is quite a few of them perform so-so wide open, like the Kiron 28/2 which I had and sold.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Sure there are !

There are M42 35/2 (or thereabouts) in several brands, 28/2's also (like the Kiron-made Vivitar I have); there are 135/1.8's likewise in several brands, etc., etc. And plenty of 80-90mm's in that ballpark.

The only problem is that these are desirable lenses, and likely to be fairly expensive.

Cheapest ones, probably, would be -

That 28/2 Kiron
The Sigma-made 135/1.8
The Jupiter-9 85/2

Thanks for the advice! i'll definitely keep my eyes out for those.

Cristofor: i had a feeling that might be the case, but again, if there are great/cheap lenses for other mounts, i'm open to those too.

ludoo: a new/better DSLR body is also on this wishlist of mine Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1,2/85 mm Canon L.

2/135 Canon L or Zeiss Lens.

1,8/135 Pentax K.

2/28 - Zeiss C/Y or Pentax K.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
1,2/85 mm Canon L.

1,8/135 Pentax K.

"... but i strongly prefer M42 " Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
estudleon wrote:
1,2/85 mm Canon L.

1,8/135 Pentax K.

"... but i strongly prefer M42 " Wink

Yes, he said that.

But he also said "They can be any lens mount".

The lenses are very goods. Can be better to get off the M42 mount here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To prefer M42 mount is silly today , we have so many excellent used camera bodies available on market and many non-M42 lenses are better and many times cheaper than M42 equivalent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only M42 cams (two), because the more cheap cam here is near u$s 100, in any mount. Not cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
1,2/85 mm Canon L.

1,8/135 Pentax K.

Thanks for the info! i'll definitely look into those (although i'm definitely not up to the price range of L glass just yet). Are all of these mounts adaptable to Canon DSLRs?

Atilla: i realize that preferring M42 is pretty arbitrary, but at the moment they're generally the cheapest i can find. Also, limiting myself to specific lens mounts helps to ensure that i have enough money for food on a regular basis Wink but as estudleon noted, i AM open to other lens mounts.

and now that i know other lens mounts may yield better and cheaper results (at least for fast lenses), i shall definitely look into those more thoroughly. Thanks again for the help everyone Very Happy