Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Vario-Sonnar 35-70: wow!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Contax Vario-Sonnar 35-70: wow! Reply with quote

I expected this lens to be good.
But mostly I bought it because it is lightweight and it can do 1:2.5 macro.
And I also wanted to try a Contax zoom.

The results where impressive.
I now have 8 Zeiss lenses. I think this one has the best 3D rendering.
Wonderful colors and contrast.

I had just taken my first shots with the Planar 2/135.
I changed lens and took a photo. The result was noticeably better!
I think this says it all. Perhaps I had trouble focusing the Planar with a moving subject, but ...

I will upload here some high-res images.

Here is the first photo I took. 70mm @ f3.4 (wide open)
1a. Whole frame

1b. 100% crop of the center

One more:
2. 70mm @ f/3.4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fantastic lens and the one I shall use as my walkaround lens when I travel to New York nexy year Smile So sharp!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im
so
envious
Very Happy Smile Confused Sad Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
It's a fantastic lens and the one I shall use as my walkaround lens }......................So sharp!

The only zoom that I should have.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably my favorite C/Y lens. I love the bokeh is produces in macro mode and the sharpness and contrast rival the c/y primes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omar wrote:
Very nice! So sharp wide open it's almost too sharp. Is this better than the Vario sonnar 28-80 in terms of sharpness and overall rendering?

The advantage over the 28-85mm is the lighter weight and a bit less distortion at the wide end. Both lenses are excellent.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omar wrote:
Very nice! So sharp wide open it's almost too sharp. Is this better than the Vario sonnar 28-80 in terms of sharpness and overall rendering?

Sharper than 28-85, yes, definitely. The 35-70 is one of the sharpest Contax lenses.
Overall rendering, I don't know. The 28-85 images look very nice to my eye.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this lens, was my first Zeiss and have never looked back.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

The advantage over the 28-85mm is the lighter weight and a bit less distortion at the wide end. Both lenses are excellent.

Precisely. To be picky, the 35-70 vignettes more on the wide end than the humongous 28-85, and has a nice macro mode that the 28-85 doesn't. It's also a lot lighter and smaller - you have to hold the two lenses in both hands to really appreciate its diminutive size compared to the larger lens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omar wrote:
Thank you guys for the answer. I need to get me one of these...so many lenses that I want... Very Happy

Sometime (mostly) you want it, not because of you need it Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get this lens in like new condition for 220€ and after a first walk with it, I must say, that I'm really impressed. Very sharp picture taker.
That will absolutly stay with me!

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Klaus! I've been using mine for street photography this weekend and will put some up later Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
I managed to get this lens in like new condition for 220€ and after a first walk with it, I must say, that I'm really impressed. Very sharp picture taker.
That will absolutly stay with me!

Klaus

Really good price!
Where did you get it from?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay.de

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats ! Nice that you got this lens. Very Happy

I saw the auction and thought to make a bit by myself. But I have in the meantime to much lenses so I have renounced. Hopefully I will not think that this was a mistake if you will show here the first images. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what about the vario-sonnar 3.5-4.5/28-70mm ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Vario-Sonnar 35-70 Reply with quote

Hi guys, I am new to the forum, what a pleasure to read about MF lenses ! I had this and other CZ lenses for a Contax RX, which I still use. I wanted to try all of them on my Canon 5D MkII, but did not want to order an expensive adapter in case there was a problem. So with minimal outlay I managed to find a cheap one, about 20 euros or so. The Vario-Sonnar works well and I was amazed at the results, few pics included. The 50 mm Planar 1.4 and 28 mm Distagon 2.8 lenses however don't seem to work....is the Leitax converter the best option ? Any other suggestions ? Apologies if these topics have been covered recently

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a distagon 2.8/28 on a 5dIII recently with a 10 euros adapter and everything worked just fine. What it's wrong with yours?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vario-Sonnar 35-70 Reply with quote

zeissfan wrote:
Hi guys, I am new to the forum, what a pleasure to read about MF lenses ! I had this and other CZ lenses for a Contax RX, which I still use. I wanted to try all of them on my Canon 5D MkII, but did not want to order an expensive adapter in case there was a problem. So with minimal outlay I managed to find a cheap one, about 20 euros or so. The Vario-Sonnar works well and I was amazed at the results, few pics included. The 50 mm Planar 1.4 and 28 mm Distagon 2.8 lenses however don't seem to work....is the Leitax converter the best option ? Any other suggestions ? Apologies if these topics have been covered recently

Hello Zeissfan and welcome aboard. Very Happy

Your pictures didn't show because of antispam measures.
Now that I quoted your message, your future posts will have pictures appear without problem.

Great IQ for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow wow wow, much more than I can expect before clicking to your thread Surprised

Congrats, this lens can replace few primes for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens has the reputation of being one of the best zooms ever, beats many primes, the biggest downsize for me is it's size.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: May be common knowledge but . . . Reply with quote

Seems fitting to add to a newly revived thread because I'm just returning to the forum after a long absence.

This may be common knowledge but in case it is not . . .

Zeiss kindly continue to maintain a download center of datasheets and info for historical kit:

http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/service/download_center.html

Germane to this conversation are the sheets for the Vario-Sonnar zooms under 'Contax-Yashica' that include MTF charts. Whilst the 35-70 is very good indeed, the 28-85 is better, especially at wider apertures.

Even more detailed evidence is available at the venerable Photodo site:

http://www.photodo.com/browse-lenses

Filter for Manufacturer/Contax and navigate to the 'Images' tab for a lens to see even more detailed MTF charts -- well for most if not all lenses.

All that said, I own both a 28-70 and a 35-70 and find I use the former more than the latter because I prefer the way it handles. The surprise is that despite clearly inferior MTF results, I also like the way it renders; perhaps I simply have poor eyes. For the record, I bought and returned a 28-85 many years ago. Optically excellent of course but so cumbersome I considered it a tripod only lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: May be common knowledge but . . . Reply with quote

scottgee1 wrote:
Seems fitting to add to a newly revived thread because I'm just returning to the forum after a long absence.

This may be common knowledge but in case it is not . . .

Zeiss kindly continue to maintain a download center of datasheets and info for historical kit:

http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/service/download_center.html

Germane to this conversation are the sheets for the Vario-Sonnar zooms under 'Contax-Yashica' that include MTF charts. Whilst the 35-70 is very good indeed, the 28-85 is better, especially at wider apertures.

Even more detailed evidence is available at the venerable Photodo site:

http://www.photodo.com/browse-lenses

Filter for Manufacturer/Contax and navigate to the 'Images' tab for a lens to see even more detailed MTF charts -- well for most if not all lenses.

All that said, I own both a 28-70 and a 35-70 and find I use the former more than the latter because I prefer the way it handles. The surprise is that despite clearly inferior MTF results, I also like the way it renders; perhaps I simply have poor eyes. For the record, I bought and returned a 28-85 many years ago. Optically excellent of course but so cumbersome I considered it a tripod only lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 28-85 is a true Zeiss Gem, but very huge & heavy...the Yashica ML 28-85 is not that far from it, but does have a macro mode,
and is lighter, comes with a 67mm filter thread...and a rare lens, usually all few years comes one on ebay into mint condition.

Sadly, the 28-85 ML Yashica is like the Contax Zeiss Original just a Push-Pull Design, not a 2-way Zoom like the Contax 28-70/3.5-4.5
for example, which was especially built and the so called "Kitzoom" for the Contax Aria back into 1998. I remember quite well these days,
and when the Aria Brochure came out. The Yashica ML 28-50/3.5 onto the other hand, introduced in ca. 79, is like the Contax Zeiss 28-70
also a coventional Zoom Design...not a Push-Pull Zoom, too....but it's built like a tank, mechanically better than the Contax Zeiss 28-70.