Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

tips for lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: tips for lens Reply with quote

Hi

I'm waiting for deliveries of 3 lenses. In the mean time, would someone with experiences with the lenses listed below, be willing to share some tips and advices. I.e. things like out-of-control bokeh (or not), sharpest aperture, behaviour at wide-open, colour rendering, etc.

- Helios 44M-6 2/58
- Mir 1V 2.8/37
- Mir 24n 2/35

Hints about how it will behave on m4/3 would also help.

Thanx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with regards to the MIR-1V that I sold you, it is a preset lens. This means that you have two diaphragm rings: one to pre-set the aperture range (you can select any stop from wide open to minimum aperture), which is called the preset ring, and the other ring is used to continuously go from the wide open to the value that you pre-set with the other ring. This continuous ring is called aperture ring - and of course, if you set the preset ring to the wide open value, the aperture ring will have no effect and the lens will always stay wide open.
The preset system is handy to use in that you can focus the lens at wide open, then quickly go to the preset value without removing your eye from the viewfinder (since you know that on the other end the aperture ring will stop at the value you did pre-set).

As for the lens qualities, the MIR-1V has nice colour saturation and is nicely sharp when stopped down. I find it good for nicely coloured landscapes, like gardens with flowers, beaches with blue sky and green palms, etc. At wide open it's a bit soft, which may be good for portraits and to smooth out nasty bokeh (like all retrofocal lenses, the MIR-1V does not have a very smooth bokeh especially when highlights are involved).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir-24 is very nice in the way it renders. On your sensor, you'll lose the soft corners that this lens has wide open; in the middle, it's pretty sharp even at f/2. Very nice rendering, and pleasing colors (it gives a unique turquoise tint of blue in the sky) You'll probably end up using this lens as a general walkabout and portrait lens.