Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MC Helios-81N 50/2 and Nikon 50/1.8 Series E comparison
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: MC Helios-81N 50/2 and Nikon 50/1.8 Series E comparison Reply with quote

So I just picked up my first Russian lens, a 50/2 MC Helios-81N (гелиос-81н). Cool It is quite dusty, so I will need to give it a good cleaning. It also has just a touch of fungus, so I haven't decided if I should leave it as-is (and try to prevent the fungus from getting worse), or take it apart to clean it. Has anyone taken an 81N apart?

I've done some searching, and have found a few other threads with samples:
http://forum.mflenses.com/helios81n-50mm-f2-samples-t5097.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-81n-arrived-today-t4116.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/kirchhain-helios-81n-and-vivitar-2-0-28-t9363.html

All of these threads say good things about the lens, so I'm looking forward to using it. Cool

While searching for information about the Helios-81N, I was finding quite a few sources claiming the Helios lens was "a Russian clone of the Nikon 50/1.8 Series E", both in terms of size and optical design. As luck would have it, I also was able to find a worn but working copy of the Nikon, a lens I have wanted for quite some time, from the same seller! Surprised It is in the same dusty condition, but no fungus that I can see.

Since I have the two here, I figured I would post a picture to dispel the myth that these are identical lenses.

As you can see, there is a considerable difference in the size of these two lenses. To be specific, the Helios measures 31mm from flange-to-filter, while the Nikon measures just 24mm. The difference seems small (just 7mm), but to put it in perspective, the Helios is 29% longer than the Nikon. Shocked It really is a noticeable difference, one that you can tell right away when you hold the two in your hands.

The Helios is also heavier, but I suspect it is also more durable. The Nikon's plastic construction is a great benefit for its weight, but also its downfall, and I have a second (broken) 50/1.8 E that bears witness to this. Neutral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good friend of mine did ask me too looking somebody who has this lens, if you have it please let me to know! Many thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that Helios-81 is not exactly like Helios-44

H-81:

H-44 :

(from zenitcamera.com)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 09, 2016 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them are double-gauss design, derivative from Zeiss biotar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who spreads rumors of these Ukraine-made lenses being clones of Nikon's, but rest assured they are not. Double-Gauss designs are prevalent for making standard (~50mm) lenses, so naturally their design is based on similar principles (as well as dozens other standard lenses).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
I don't know who spreads rumors of these Ukraine-made lenses being clones of Nikon's, but rest assured they are not. Double-Gauss designs are prevalent for making standard (~50mm) lenses, so naturally their design is based on similar principles (as well as dozens other standard lenses).

+1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cleaned one Helios-81N. It is quite easy. In order to remove the front element block, remove the nameplate. For the rear group I`d remove the ount and the the block should unscrew easily.