Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

It's HUGE!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: It's HUGE! Reply with quote

No, I'm not talking about the sort of thing you expect to see swinging about between the hind legs of a Grand National winner, but rather my new Pentacon 300mm!

It absolutely dwarves the smaller lenses in the series...what a monster!

Left to right:

Pentacon 300/4, 200/4, 135/2.8, 100/2.8, 50/1.8, 30/3.5, 29/2.8

Can't wait to get it out in the field, close range tests already promise some nice bokeh from all those lovely blades Smile

Compared to the 135/2.8 bokeh monster which, quite frankly, doesn't look quite so monsterous anymore!!! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and it has beautiful bokeh and quiet good sharpness even at wide open.
congrats!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, it's the first time I've been *really* excited about a new lens for ages and I can't wait to take it out Smile I will likely need someone to carry it for me though Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, perfect for shooting from dark alleyways - no need to worry about being mugged when you have THAT. Laughing

I'd like to see that mounted to a camera, heh.

And some shots once you've tried it out of course!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I still had the Pentacon 300/4 I had, I'd show you what a real huge lens is, that makes the Pentacon so tiny Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not far wrong there, it is huge. Wink

(and very nice Cool )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
If I still had the Pentacon 300/4 I had, I'd show you what a real huge lens is, that makes the Pentacon so tiny Very Happy

Oooh I'm intrigued! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it so much.

Congrats.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
CarbonR wrote:

Oooh I'm intrigued! Laughing

Takumar 500/4.5 : 45cm long
Takumar 500/5 : 50cm long
Takumar 135-600 : 58cm long
Takumar 1000/8 : 74cm long

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real giant.

Be careful not to bang that lens at a wall or something. I've heard that despite the monstrous size the diaphragm blades are very delicate!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Meyer 300 f/4 and it is really the same lens. Very sharp and contrasty with good color rendition. Heavy sucker though. I shot mine mainly hand held and the weight helps to steady it. Always was uncomfortable to keep hanging from the neck strap for longer than an hour or two though. I could sit for hours watching the Iris blades open and close. Beautiful sight. A very very nice addition to any collection. Congratulations.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. Wait till you get the 500mm big brother. Now that is a monster.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap! That's one big muther.

Is that M42 mount?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I have some bigger lenses to collect then! Laughing

This one has the M42 mount Smile I've seen a copy of the 500mm version, but it's near on £300.00 which I'd rather spend on a more convenient modern lens like the Sigma 120-400-4-5.6.

I was just taken aback by the sheer girth of this thing, it even frightens my Canon 300/4L Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive ! I witnessed this lens last weekend, it's almost a weapon : )

i wonder how you'll manage it, cos for me the 135mm was already "heavy"
good luck, i am curious as for the first tests

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, come on, show us the result Smile Smile Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely diaphragm, especially in that size!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the one I had.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dawg, want another?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.
Congrats Shrek.
Beautiful collection.
Is it bigger than the Sonnar 300 ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
WOW.
Congrats Shrek.
Beautiful collection.
Is it bigger than the Sonnar 300 ?

Um, not sure! Do I haev to get that one as well now?! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Do I have to get that one as well now?! Laughing

You knew the answer to that question before you'd finished thinking it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: It's HUGE! Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
close range tests already promise some nice bokeh from all those lovely blades Smile

Those lovely blades have no impact on bokeh. They only influence highlight shapes. Bokeh is about out of focus blur - it's about more than just producing circular highlights.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: It's HUGE! Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
close range tests already promise some nice bokeh from all those lovely blades Smile

Those lovely blades have no impact on bokeh. They only influence highlight shapes. Bokeh is about out of focus blur - it's about more than just producing circular highlights.

Yes,yes....but this lens does have creamy smooth Bokeh.

Yes I would like another but right now I'm strapped for cash. No sale today my friend.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: It's HUGE! Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

I know, and perhaps the comment was a touch flippant. However, in this case the combination of glass and blades makes buttery smooth bokeh and nice round highlights. Which I like Cool