Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help! I feel like an idiot
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Help! I feel like an idiot Reply with quote

So i bought this Nikon-mount lens from the *bay! the package came today. However, I can't take off the back-cap! I'm afraid of damaging the lens. I've never had a Nikon-mount lens before. How does one normally take off the cap? just turn the cap counter-clockwise?

Please help

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one thing good to know is that with Nikon F mount, you twist the lens in the opposite direction, when compared with most other mounts (Canon, Pentax, etc.). You may have just twisted the cap in the wrong direction with too much force, causing it to get stuck. Twist the other way Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
Well, one thing good to know is that with Nikon F mount, you twist the lens in the opposite direction, when compared with most other mounts (Canon, Pentax, etc.). You may have just twisted the cap in the wrong direction with too much force, causing it to get stuck. Twist the other way Smile

Thank you very much! that does it! I got the damned cap open now! Btw, it's a Komine-made Viv 28mm f2.0 CF. I paid USD$90.00 for it which I think might be too much but I couldn't resist! I love the rendering of the Komine-made Vivs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the close-focus version, right?
It's a fantastic lens! Congrats.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
That's the close-focus version, right?
It's a fantastic lens! Congrats.

Thank you. Yes, it's the close-focus version. I'm still waiting for the adapter. The glass looks very clean, I can't even see any dust. Which is very rare for budget lenses on the bay.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the f/2.0 version that isn't a bad price. I have the f/2.8 version and it's a wonderful lens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nikon adapter arrived today, so put the viv on the e-p1 and made some shots. I like the lens a lot, my Rokkor 2.0/28 might be optically better but this lens seems pretty close. But... it's much smaller and lighter than the Minolta lens. The rokkor is huge and unbalanced on the little e-p1.

Basically, I love my new toy. Now, I have too many 28mms, gotta find something to do with them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, you're not the only one caught by the reversed direction on the Nikon mounts. Wink I once bought a "Nikon screw-mount lens" on ebay... it was a standard T-mount lens, with the plastic Nikon cap twisted on so tightly that it wouldn't come off of the T-mount adapter. I think the seller thought the whole assembly was just a screw-on cap. Very Happy

Come to think of it though, most of my Nikon caps have the word "OPEN" on them, with a directional arrow to show which way to twist it. I'm not sure which are originals and which are reproductions though... does anyone know?