Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Coastal Optics 60mm f/4 UV-VIS-IR APO macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Coastal Optics 60mm f/4 UV-VIS-IR APO macro Reply with quote

Anyone using this baby or wishing to?
Pricey, very pricey. I see its place in a lab.
Take a look

http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/CoastalOptics60f4/index.html


PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some use this lens as a telescope and the pictures i've seen in some magazines taken with this lens are simply stunning, but at that price... i'm sure i would make all my zeiss dreams come true Rolling Eyes


PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a nice lens and well designed (I know the designer) after many
discussions in the UV/IR forum and he has reflected the needs very
carefully. Out came that apochromatic UV-VIS-IR lens with great
performance. Only available for Nikon mount actually, but has a
built in chip to allow for matrix-metering.



Data is here on my site:
http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail_sl.php?ObjektiveNr=344

I have announced that lens Sept 2007 in my BLOG
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/2007/09/new-apochromatic-60mm-uv-lens.html

But it turned out later, that it has a severe hotspot issue which
lead to cancellation of orders (including mine), see here:
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/2009/06/coastal-optics-60mm-apo-macro-hotspot.html

The issue has been resolved in theory, I have been told, but still no
corrected lenses are available for the time being. Coastal Optics (part of
the JENOPTIK group) has only inofficially addressed that, but still there is
no official statement about that issue nor when there will be modified
lenses on the market.

That mentioned lens test is somewhat unprecise since the author may
have worked in IR but not UV photography and the hotspot is not
mentioned.

I only hope that issue will soon be resolved since it is a great lens and
I would love to have it for my work. It is not pricier than my UV-Nikkor
105mm but offers also IR (infrared) performance.


PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates to this lens?


PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing official from JENOPTIK Optical Systems (Coastal Optical Systems has been bought...),
but a workaround has been found by using a very tight sunshade, that avoids the hotspot.


PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out, that a solution is a very long and narrow sunshade.
Or stay away from the magnification it shows that and use a
extension ring instead.


PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they really use (near) flat surfaces?
This seems like a invitation to hotspots.


PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Did they really use (near) flat surfaces?
This seems like a invitation to hotspots.


Don't know for sure, I don't have access to the design.
But it sounds likely that it is indeed reflections back form
the sensor surface to flat lens surfaces, if one looks at
the published lens cut:



(from left: elements 4/5/6 all have a flat surface)


PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I saw the lens cut some posts above, and was wondering.
I did not work with lens design software back then when the lens was designed, but today ghosting analyisis seem to be a quite normal feature for such software.


PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Yes I saw the lens cut some posts above, and was wondering.
I did not work with lens design software back then when the lens was designed, but today ghosting analyisis seem to be a quite normal feature for such software.


I'm pretty sure the designer has that, as he does lens design as his main job and also designed the "Speed Booster" Wink


PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and got me a used one, should be here hopefully within a few days...

Just in case, here on my site is docu about it: http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail_sl.php?ObjektiveNr=344

Since German company JENOPTIK bought Coastal Optics, it now sells under their name, read their info here about those special lenses:

https://www.jenoptik.com/products/optical-systems/customized-and-standardized-objective-lenses/multispectral-objective-lenses

[the shown MTF curves have an labeling error, the 40lpm line is always the lowest...]


PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and got me a used one, should be here hopefully within a few days...

Just in case, here on my site is docu about it: http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail_sl.php?ObjektiveNr=344

Since German company JENOPTIK bought Coastal Optics, it now sells under their name, read their info here about those special lenses:

https://www.jenoptik.com/products/optical-systems/customized-and-standardized-objective-lenses/multispectral-objective-lenses

[the shown MTF curves have an labeling error, the 40lpm line is always the lowest...]

Like 1 small

Look forward for your results!


PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here is mine....