Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Life photographers book - highly recommended
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Life photographers book - highly recommended Reply with quote

If you want to buy a photography book and have 29 euros to spend for it, let this be the one:

It's a collection of photos by the photographers of the "Life" magazine.
605 pages full with photographs. Some are world famous, and made the history of the medium. Some are unknown (at least to me). But all of them are worth looking at.
I have a similar collection of photos from the Getty collection, but they are not even comparable: while many of the Getty photos are anectodical, the Life photos are in a different league: intense, challenging, remarkable.
Don't be fooled by the cover with Dietrich's legs on display: there is much more and much different inside.
I think no one who goes through this book and arrives at the end can not be touched in some way. Especially photographers.
The quality is always high and amongst them there are some real jewels.
I just finished reading (or better said viewing) and I already feel inspired and challenged and wanting to raise my own bar and push my limits further.
And a couple of those images will stay in my mind forever.

This book I have is in Italian but I believe the original book should be English or American so watch for your local version. The (scarce) text however isn't really decisive - the photos are.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a similar one on Vogue photographs, another fantastic and inexpensive resource.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio could you write the ISBN number here? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, Mo:
978-88-6965-204-2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the isbn for the Italian edition. The English isbn is 9780821228920 title is "The Great LIFE Photographers". Click here to see on Ebay Such a deal!: 600 8x10" pages of "both color and black-and-white photographs".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Great-LIFE-Photographers-Editors/dp/0316097934/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some pictures are different on Italian back cover but looks like the same book definitely.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting both ISBN versions Embarassed Looks like a great book to have.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used hard cover edition on ebaY for US$7.52 delivered how could I refuse 600 pages of top quality photo examples? Arrives in near new condition. I am very happy! Thank you Orio. Your description is perfect.

Last edited by visualopsins on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be this one ?
French version, 608 pages.

If it is the same book, It's interesting to see the marketing cover differences between italian, american, french versions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Could it be this one ?
French version, 608 pages.

If it is the same book, It's interesting to see the marketing cover differences between italian, american, french versions.

Yes Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran across this book -- the English version -- at a Costco the other day, and spent over an hour paging through it, somewhat surprised I suppose that many of the most dramatic photos I've ever seen were taken by Life Magazine photographers. It really is a special book. Much of the photography within its covers is truly a great part of an iconic representation of the 20th century in photographs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio thanks for that info - got it today