Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap and good slide scanner?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Cheap and good slide scanner? Reply with quote

Hello
I was using Epson V500 for several month and it worked ok for me for B/W negatives.
But I'm not very happy with the quality of slides. The scans have low details, low contrast and wrong colors.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 'cheap' and 'good' don't mix when it comes to slide / film scanners. I've been looking around for one for a long time and the best option seems to be - buy an expensive and good one, do all your work with it, then sell it on. Or, hopefully buy off someone who's done just that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron slides with books before scan to get perfect flat stripes much as you can.
Scan into .tiff files and process them with your favorite image processor program.

Cheap and better 35mm scanner not exists, what is better Minolta, Nikon start around 500 USD.
I like 120mm scan best , I think way to go with your Epson V500 scanner rather than to buy $$$ 35mm scanner.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plustek scanners -- apart from quality control issues sometimes -- are pretty good: my 7300 was reasonable and outresolved the Minolta ScanDual II I had. It was a world apart from the Epson 4490 for 35mm. But take into account you need to scan each single negative or slide, you can't do strips.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: plustek opticfilm 120 is coming this summer 2012 Reply with quote

get new opticfilm 120 by plustek this summer and all problems are gone. its a 612 and 35mm scanner. no cheap. i suspect around 1500 euros. has special lens-coating to get enough DOF. dont know this technology. they had to change sensor-type. maybe the first one could not deliver anymore(kodak?). its a pity they did not listen top me. i discussed with them personally the panorama-stripe-problem. one cannot slip-through long stripes.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy with my Reflecta ProScan 7200 (it is German build, made in Rottenburg, no chinese crap), it has true optical resolution of 3250 DPI *tested* (declared is 3600)
you can scan both single framed slides and stripes up to 6 frames long. It uses good quality film holders (not the crappy Epson plastic)
and you can buy extra film holders separately if needed.
The only weak point is that you need to buy the extra software Silversoft because the bundled software is awful.
The price is 319 Euros VAT included (so if you have a VAT number, you pay 258 Euros), the extra software costs around 100 Euros for the version which allows multiscanning (can't remember software price exactly).
I bought from this German shop:
http://www.scandig.com/filmscanner/reflecta/reflecta-proscan-7200.html
test/review:
http://www.filmscanner.info/en/ReflectaProScan7200.html

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....also the other weak point is:- it only does 35mm Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I am happy with my Reflecta ProScan 7200 (it is German build, made in Rottenburg, no chinese crap), it has true optical resolution of 3250 DPI *tested* (declared is 3600)
you can scan both single framed slides and stripes up to 6 frames long. It uses good quality film holders (not the crappy Epson plastic)
and you can buy extra film holders separately if needed.
The only weak point is that you need to buy the extra software Silversoft because the bundled software is awful.
The price is 319 Euros VAT included (so if you have a VAT number, you pay 258 Euros), the extra software costs around 100 Euros for the version which allows multiscanning (can't remember software price exactly).
I bought from this German shop:
http://www.scandig.com/filmscanner/reflecta/reflecta-proscan-7200.html
test/review:
http://www.filmscanner.info/en/ReflectaProScan7200.html

in my opinion is made by a korean? company(pacific....) producing also the 6x12 scanner-alternative to plustek. no scanner is produced in germany. nobody could afford it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post but I recently bought a Epson Perfection V500 Photo scanner as new for £25. I've used many scanners over the years including dedicated slide scanners, but have been disappointed with the quality of slide scans in that the increase in contrast and grain made the scans unacceptable for printing. Maybe the fault lay with me. Anyway, I bought this scanner for my office for documents and decided to scan a few slides. Wow, these are the best results achieved so far.

Fuji Sensia 100 slide from 1997.

Kodak Kodachrome slide from 1962 (me on my dad's knee).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I know this is an old post but I recently bought a Epson Perfection V500 Photo scanner as new for £25. I've used many scanners over the years including dedicated slide scanners, but have been disappointed with the quality of slide scans in that the increase in contrast and grain made the scans unacceptable for printing. Maybe the fault lay with me. Anyway, I bought this scanner for my office for documents and decided to scan a few slides. Wow, these are the best results achieved so far.

These results look very good to me. For £25 I would say these are excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epson's more economical models, such as the V500 and V600 have become quite popular and do a decent job at slide scans. Several years ago, I bought an Epson 4990, which was their top-of-the-line model before the advent of the V-series. I pad $200 for it, but that was years ago. The 4990 does a decent job with 35mm slides and an exceptional job with medium and large format, which was the main reason why I bought it.

These days, for 35mm slides, I have a slide duplication rig that I use with my 24.3mp NEX 7, which gives me 6000 x 4000 dpi images, same as one of those expensive Nikon Coolscans. I'm very happy with the results I get with this rig. Great thing about it is it didn't cost me anything. I already had all the components I needed to put it together.

These first two pics were taken with my slide dupe rig. Film was Kodachrome 64.

This one is a scan of a medium format slide with my Epson 4990. Film was Fujichrome 100.