Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pearl River 35mm F/2.3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Pearl River 35mm F/2.3 Reply with quote

I bought this lens about a week ago and have gone out a few times to capture a few test images.

F/2.3

F/8 provides more detail, and more even exposure.
As shown, the lens is usable wide open, for a 1970s, early Chinese effort, surprisingly so. The S-201 camera was designed in the early 1970s, and released for sale in 1977. I don't know if this lens was available from the start or added after a time.

100% corner crops at F/2.3 then F/8.

( F/2.3 )

A second image pair showing the F/2.3 to F/8 difference. ( F/8 )

( F/2.3 )

And a third. ( F/8 )

One very noticeable foible is the amount of flare you can get with the sun just out of the image at F/2.3. Most vintage wide angle lenses are likewise poor in this respect, but this lens is maybe poorer than the average vintage 35mm lens. ( F/2.3 )

It goes away to an extent as soon as you take it down to 2.8, it's surprising how much difference that makes. ( F/2.8 )

You can use the effect if you wish. ( F/2.3 )

Or not, if you want better contrast, just by turning 30-45 degrees. ( F/2.3 )

There's a little bit of swirl in certain situations, but generally nothing of the sort is noticeable. ( F/2.3 )

At night, bright light sources also cause a few problems. ( F/2.3 )

If you avoid the brightest direct lighting you can get the occasional good shot ( F/5.6 )

( F/2.3 )

( F/8 ) in some situations you can detect veiling flare when stopped down, but it isn't normally particularly noticeable.

The lens looks to have some barrel distortion. ( F/2.3 )

All up, the lens is better than I hoped at F/2.3, and capable of excellent results at F/8, which still wasn't necessarily guaranteed for a wide angle lens at that point, and particularly for a developing photographic industry in China. I don't believe it can be thought to be a copy of any particular other lens.

( F/2.3 )

( F/2.3 )

( F/8 )

( F/8 ) What camera is it?

( F/2.3 )

( F/2.3 )

( F/8 )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the organic look at F2.3 and the flare. Although it may be less capable compare to Japanese lenses from the 70s, it is pretty good for a Chinese design.

The lens exist on last page of the S-201 manual.
http://www.chinesecamera.com/manual-book/%E7%8F%A0%E6%B1%9F-s-201%E5%9E%8B-%E4%B9%8B%E4%BA%8C

The manual of the 35/2.3 says it will fit S-201 and Seagull DF series. I think it is not made far away from the launch date of S-201.
http://www.chinesecamera.com/manual-book/%E7%8F%A0%E6%B1%9F-35%E6%AF%AB%E7%B1%B3-f23%E7%85%A7%E7%9B%B8%E7%89%A9%E9%95%9C

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may i ask what camera / sensor is used for the pics?
also, are pictures PP-ed?

The colors and 'rendering' exude a sense of nostalgia, reminiscent of slightly expired standard Fuji film roll.
And yes, this lens offers an organic feel, perfect for those seeking a filmic and analog outcome from their digital cameras (yes that's me !).
Can be a nice addon that can mimic images back in time, capturing the essence of the past but in the digital way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely.
Does it resemble the Takumar in any way?
Perhaps, like it, the Pearl River is a version of the Angenieux design.
Do you have a picture of the lens.
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:

The colors and 'rendering' exude a sense of nostalgia, reminiscent of slightly expired standard Fuji film roll.
And yes, this lens offers an organic feel, perfect for those seeking a filmic and analog outcome from their digital cameras (yes that's me !).

Similar results can be obtained by most "old style" 2.8/35mm lenses such as the "full metal" Konica AR 2.8/35mm, the [7/7] computations of the Minolta AR/MC 2.8/35mm, and the Mamiya Auto Sekor 2.8/35mm. Takumar 2.3/35mm and the Minolta MC 1.8/35mm have similar rendition as well, and so do various 2/35mm lenses such as the convex FD 2/35mm, the Nikkor Ai 2/35mm or the Konica AR 2/35mm.

Nikkor AiS 1.4/35mm is even more extreme (and that one is the best if the different 1.4/35mm Nikkors).

Oldhand wrote:
Lovely.

No. The Takumar 2.3/35mm (which I own) has a rather big front element, the Pearl River doesn't. Angenieux 2.5/35mm has a big front lens as well.

Oldhand wrote:
Cheers
Tom

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/202311/big_10818_P1021501_1.jpg

S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Lovely.
Cheers
Tom

The front element is quite small, so it isn't directly related to many of the earlier retrofocus lenses. I had wondered if there was any resemblance to the Flektogon 35/2.4 lens, which also has a smaller front element. Apparently that was released around the same period, 1978. I've never had that Flektogon version, but from looking at photos, the front element of the Pearl River lens is much more radically curved. Also, by then, the Russians and Chinese were in the middle of a bit of a diplomatic falling out of which I have only the scantest of knowledge, so maybe they weren't sharing technology as much by that point.

alex_d wrote:

Can be a nice addon that can mimic images back in time, capturing the essence of the past but in the digital way.

The camera is the Panasonic DC-S1 (24MP), set to standard jpg, and no PP used. The daytime shots are manual exposure at 100 ISO, the camera has a histogram which changes colour when your selection matches what the camera considers correct exposure, which I usually try to be close to. For the night shots I set the ISO to automatic and set the exposure to anywhere between -1 and -2EV to avoid blowing out highlights too far trying to get daytime style exposure levels. The maximum ISO in that mode is 12600 or so.

Apparently the sensor is a Panasonic made item, a continuation of the MP240 sensor used previously by Leica on their camera. I only recently found that out, having assumed everyone except Canon was using Sony sensor tech, but I guess it's not so surprising, Panasonic are a very large company with the capability to make their own stuff. On this thread here ( https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4734298 ), there is information regarding the some of the sensor features used on the DC-S1R camera, and I am of the opinion that the S1 sensor might have benefited from similar technology. I have never done a side by side comparison with a different camera, but am of the opinion that I have gotten consistently better IQ with classic lenses on this camera than on the A7II I owned prior to that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Lovely.
Cheers
Tom

The front element is quite small, so it isn't directly related to many of the earlier retrofocus lenses. I had wondered if there was any resemblance to the Flektogon 35/2.4 lens, which also has a smaller front element. Apparently that was released around the same period, 1978. I've never had that Flektogon version, but from looking at photos, the front element of the Pearl River lens is much more radically curved. Also, by then, the Russians and Chinese were in the middle of a bit of a diplomatic falling out of which I have only the scantest of knowledge, so maybe they weren't sharing technology as much by that point.

alex_d wrote:

The camera is the Panasonic DC-S1 (24MP), set to standard jpg, and no PP used. The daytime shots are manual exposure at 100 ISO, the camera has a histogram which changes colour when your selection matches what the camera considers correct exposure, which I usually try to be close to. For the night shots I set the ISO to automatic and set the exposure to anywhere between -1 and -2EV to avoid blowing out highlights too far trying to get daytime style exposure levels. The maximum ISO in that mode is 12600 or so.

Apparently the sensor is a Panasonic made item, a continuation of the MP240 sensor used previously by Leica on their camera. I only recently found that out, having assumed everyone except Canon was using Sony sensor tech, but I guess it's not so surprising, Panasonic are a very large company with the capability to make their own stuff. On this thread here ( https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4734298 ), there is information regarding the some of the sensor features used on the DC-S1R camera, and I am of the opinion that the S1 sensor might have benefited from similar technology. I have never done a side by side comparison with a different camera, but am of the opinion that I have gotten consistently better IQ with classic lenses on this camera than on the A7II I owned prior to that.

Interesting discussion.
The non-optical exterior appears to be a clone of the Nikkor "O" and "O.C" 35mm f2 right down to the marking colors and diamond index dot. The distance scale and aperure markings appear to be almost mirror images with the nikkor held next to the monitor screen. The front elements, of course, are completely different. Odd that they were still using straight slotted screws on the lens body at that late point in time. Said screws appear to be fairly large headed.

Interesting details on the Panasonic sensor as well~ something to keep an eye out for...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx all for substantive replies. I have to split my reaction in 2 parts: the lens and the sensor.

the lens: to stevemark, i have that konica 28/3.5 however not for long on the camera as i was at that time (quite long time ago in the digital age..) not really charmed by. But I cant remember 'rendering' like an analogue. I should try it again.
Only other 28/3.5 that i have is fuji, bayonet mount and m42. they should be the same lens but not in my case. bayoinet one is very much like a modern lens, and m42 is more of an 'old lens'.

the sensor/camera: i dont have any experience with a modern panasonic so i cant comment anything here. The thing what I wonder:
- is it that "daytime" white ballance algorithm tends to color the image in a way that reminds me of an expired Fuji film roll?