Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenitar-M 50mm f/1.7 + comparison
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Zenitar-M 50mm f/1.7 + comparison Reply with quote

Despite the terrible weather lately, here a few first wide open images of my Zenitar-M 50mm f/1.7. Click for full size.

ZenitarM5017 by devoscasper, on Flickr

ZenitarM5017_1 by devoscasper, on Flickr

ZenitarM5017_2 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Then a bokeh comparison with 2 other 50/1.7 lenses. Focus distance is just over 45cm:
bokehcomparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

Conclusion: the Zenitar shows the biggest bokeh balls ones stopped down. Real aperture is probably bigger than indicated. There's differences in aperture shape. The Mamiya seems to have most saturated colors (by a small margin). Otherwise, no huge difference.

Then, 100% crop comparison:
cropcomparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

Wide open, all three lenses seem pretty sharp. I think the Mamiya wins by a small margin. In earlier similar tests I did between many standard lenses, the Mamiya EF 50/1.7 always had the best center sharpness wide open. Unfortunately, the Zenitar seems to show focus shift once you stop the lens down. I often like to stop down after focusing wide open, before I take a picture. With the Zenitar, this seems to be not a good idea. Best contrast and sharpness from the Mamiya IMO, at least at this subject distance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many reviews on pentaxforums mentioned this is a very sharp lens. From your samples, it is just as sharp as the others. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Many reviews on pentaxforums mentioned this is a very sharp lens. From your samples, it is just as sharp as the others. Wink

Yes, true, although I deliberately compared it against two very sharp lenses.
Curious how it behaves as a landscape lens. Both the Mamiya and Pentax need some stopping down for very sharp corners.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say instead of fussing over minute sharpness differences take more pictures of your bored cat Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I'd say instead of fussing over minute sharpness differences take more pictures of your bored cat Wink

I do these comparisons because I like to do them. And to fact check the rumors that are often spread about certain lenses. The real world differences (at least what I’ve tested here) are probably insignificant indeed. Which allows me to keep the size of my collection under control, another reason I do these tests.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see how much focus shift the Zenitar has, compared to the others. Thanks for that information!

Of course I'm not surprised that common Japanese 1.7/50mm vintage lenses give pretty much identical results when comparing the image center Wink

S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results, thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Interesting to see how much focus shift the Zenitar has, compared to the others. Thanks for that information!...
S

Depends on test methodology -- if lens was re-focused for each photo, i.e. focus is shifted...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

I do these comparisons because I like to do them. And to fact check the rumors that are often spread about certain lenses. The real world differences (at least what I’ve tested here) are probably insignificant indeed. Which allows me to keep the size of my collection under control, another reason I do these tests.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

@D1N0: https://www.flickr.com/photos/55691955@N05/albums Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
stevemark wrote:
Interesting to see how much focus shift the Zenitar has, compared to the others. Thanks for that information!...
S

Depends on test methodology -- if lens was re-focused for each photo, i.e. focus is shifted...

Of course Wink ... I made my remark from a "scientific" point of view since focus shift usually is connected to spherical aberration which - in turn - results in specific rendering. Among my vintage normal lenses I have a few favourites*, but generally speaking the fifties have a much more balanced perfromance than say the vintage superwides or the vintage 300mm lenses.

* some are ...

- Mamiya Sekor EF 1.4/50: very good vintage lens
- Mamiya Sekor Auto 2/50mm: few CAs and "clear" images
- Minolta MC-X 1.2/58mm: fast and relatively lng focal length
- Minolta MD-III 2/50mm: few CAs and very low distortion
- Nikkor 2/50mm: nice rendering at f2
- Nikkor Ai 1.2/55mm: fast and nice rendering at f1.2
- Fujinon M42 1.8/55mm: good corner performance wide open
- Topcor RE 1.8/55mm: good overall performance

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big zenitar 50 f/1.7 fan especially when it comes to portraits. It has good coverage on a GFX size sensor as a bonus. I like the bokeh and falloff. Very soft and creamy. That typically means under corrected spherical aberrations. However, whatever is left is at a good balance as the lens performs well for its time even wide open. Color rendering is also not in your face saturated but falls more toward saturated pastels. I prefer this for people photography. It's a very flat plane as well at least in the mid distance test I did. Very even performance across the frame in the focus area even wide open. I did not test at infinity or close distance. It also appears that the contrast drops as you move away from the focus plane. This is something that is not reproducible in post. At least not in the same way it happens optically. However, it's a contributing factor for the impression of depth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for sharing your results.
yet again .. im re-assured by the fact that common vintage 50-ish lenses will generally produce nearly identical results,
with a similarity rating of around 99.X%

having a one good copy of a 50/1.7-2.0 solves all the daily photographic needs, chores & necessaries.
and beyond that ..

like that saying ffrom the old Winnetou; give a lens to a man will temporarily fulfill his g.a.s.
However, teaching a man the zen of photography, equips him with the lifelong skill of capturing images through a single lens

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
yet again .. im re-assured by the fact that common vintage 50-ish lenses will generally produce nearly identical results,

Lenses with single-coated or un-coated made in the 30s to early 60s have more variation than multi-coated lenses in the 70s and 80s. This is the reason why I have nearly no multi-coated 50-ish lenses on the my collection.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, or used to have, or just used, dozens of lenses, but when it comes to this Zenitar it definitely has something special, I'll never part with it.
Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:

having a one good copy of a 50/1.7-2.0 solves all the daily photographic needs, chores & necessaries.
and beyond that ..

like that saying ffrom the old Winnetou; give a lens to a man will temporarily fulfill his g.a.s.
However, teaching a man the zen of photography, equips him with the lifelong skill of capturing images through a single lens

Agreed, this is splitting hairs stuff. Which I like to do, but for daily photography not very relevant.
There are however a few standard lenses in my collection that stand out IMO:

- Mamiya EF 50/1.4, which is fast yet sharp wide open, and a good landscape lens as well.
- Rokkor PF 55/2, which ticks all the boxes for me, and has super smooth bokeh
- Auto Yashinon 5cm f/2, because it's buitiful as an object, and I like it's bokeh
- Petri 55/1.4: because of it's bokeh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspired by this post about Zenitar and autumn I went for a walk in a nearby tree area. Literally I took this photo one hour ago.
Zenitar 50mm @1.7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indigo82 wrote:
Inspired by this post about Zenitar and autumn I went for a walk in a nearby tree area. Literally I took this photo one hour ago.
Zenitar 50mm @1.7

Beautiful image 👍

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile

One more from the same shoot today. Zenitar 50mm @f1.7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Some more from the same series with Zenitar, all at f1.7.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice colors!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, really nice colours and the lens performed quite well in the bokeh department too.