Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The big Soligor thread!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
I think Luis should know who manufactured this lens.

cyberjunkie wrote:
. . .
The level of cooperation between different japanese third party lens makers is usually underestimated.
. . .
Btw, the 135mm with serial starting with M is likely Sun, but I'm not sure at all, I wouldn't bet on it Smile

Thanks, guys. So this puzzle is more difficult than it may appear on the surface...
But I can't resist speculating. Wink

Thus, again referring to cyberjunkie's serial number list, I have a Soligor C/D 500mm mirror lens. It's No. 5805293 and was made in Japan.
Wouldn't that suggest (Korean) Samyang isn't the maker of No. 5... serials?
Is Sun known to have manufactured mirror lenses?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Soligor / Kyoei 180 3.5 Reply with quote

This lens is a well known late 50s/ early 60s lens from Kyoei, serial beginning with K.No. prefix. I have a Vemar lens with the same prefix, a Vemar/Kyoei 135/3.5 for Leica mount, and have seen the prefix on numerous others. It is said that Kyoei somehow turned into Kawakami/Kowanon/Kawanon, perhaps either by name change or being bought out. Several well known Kyoei lenses are also seen as Kawakami/Kowanon/Kawanon, such as the 35/3.5, 135/3.5, and this 180/3.5, although the later versions are slightly different cosmetically, they are highly likely to be identical optically. Once the company became Kawanon, the serials for Soligor badged lenses from them seem to have a KA prefix.

This particular lens has reasonable performance, although when stopped down any further than 5.6 it suffers badly from veiling flare caused by the un-blackened aperture leaves. At 5.6 the sharpness is good, contrast is acceptable, and pixel peeping reveals an excellent control of colour fringing (even in the very far corner of the image).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovim wrote:
I don't have this lens anymore but I found these pics from my flickr account.I think it was made by Komine and it has also been sold as Elicar, Vivitar etc. Sorry I don't have the serial:oops:

Vivitar 2.5/90mm Macro

I have the ELICAR 2,5/90mm Macro lens with an CONTAX mount, with an 62mm 8x achromatic macro filter set to get with it M.: 2:1 !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovim wrote:
I don't have this lens anymore but I found these pics from my flickr account.I think it was made by Komine and it has also been sold as Elicar, Vivitar etc. Sorry I don't have the serial:oops:

Vivitar 2.5/90mm Macro

I have an ELICAR V-HQ MACRO MC 90mm f/2,5 lens with an CONTAX mount, and an additional 8x achromatic macro lens for M. 2:1 !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a Soligor 35mm f/2.8 H6*** on ebay. The aperture hole shape (starry) is similar to that of a Tokina T4 made lens. I am more inclined to believe H6 is also Tokina made.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Saw a Soligor 35mm f/2.8 H6*** on ebay. The aperture hole shape (starry) is similar to that of a Tokina T4 made lens. I am more inclined to believe H6 is also Tokina made.

I'm of the same general opinion, the H codes seem to be an unsolvable mystery. According to internet sources, Tokina was started by ex-Nikon staff. I sometimes wonder if they started out with some lens designs but may not have owned a production facility themselves. One reason I wonder that, is because I have two lenses which are unequivocally identified as Tokina designed, in fact the same lens, the 90-230/4.5 zoom, but one has an 'H5' code and one has an 'H6' code. They are both Lentar branded, the H6 is an automount equipped lens, the H5 is a T2 equipped lens, perhaps from a year or two earlier.

I also possess several copies of 'H6' 28/2.8 lenses manufactured over a few different years showing that although the exterior was facelifted a few times, the actual optical formula remained identical, and the final facelifted version can clearly be seen to basically be the same 28/2.8 being sold by Soligor and Vivitar as their Tokina-sourced T4 28/2.8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20197/big_10818_Untitled3_1.png][/url

I'm not at home just now, so don't have pictures of my own lenses, but here are some samples from a well known auction site. It looks as if the lens was available with an 'H4' code at some point also.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

. . .
According to internet sources, Tokina was started by ex-Nikon staff. . .

A couple months ago I was wondering about Tokina's origins. I emailed them to ask if they were founded by former Nikon employees. They responded that Tokina was founded in 1950, but "NOT by former Nikon engineers."
They were emphatic about the Nikon part! Smile

I was hoping for more details but that was all they had to say.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is my latest addition to the soligor 400mm menagerie - a t-mount 8xxx serial, that looks exactly like the 9xxxx serial soligor 400mm 6.3's, but without the "chrome ears".

Size, structure etc identical.